• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Want to be an Investment Banker-->Private Equity: Please Help

jays978

Reaction score
I graduated from a small but prominent business school around the Boston area in May of 2009 with a Bachelor's degree in Finance. I have not realized my desire to be in the Investment Banking industry until about six months ago and have since been trying to ramp up my knowledge, network, and credentials to best position myself to land a summer internship that could transition into a full-time offer. I plan on doing this by working for another year and getting into a top 15 B school in the country. I plan to ultimately work for a boutique private equity firm in the Boston area.

I am currently working at a custodian bank as a fund accountant. I am trying to find a more challenging job in financial services, but am finding it particularly hard. Even though I consider myself a recent graduate, I am competiting with this year's graduates for entry level positions.

Any insights are welcomed on the track I should take, the feasibility of my goals, jobs I should seek out now to make myself more competitive for Business school, anything! I would greatly appreciate it if someone could take a peak a my resume also. Thank you so much guys - SF really changed my life! =)

office drone

Reaction score
You should probably do the CFA program, if you haven't already started. Also go to analystforum and ask away there, as I imagine there are quite a few i-bankers to help you, or you can at least read the threads to get informed. Good luck.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been about a 1000 threads about this.. Just search for "I wanna make mad moneys and enjoy models and bottles at an investment bank/PE/HF". If all fails, ask a gentleman by the name of Fuuma for advice. He is our resident Finance/IB expert on here.

but like

-Target School
-GPA
-Internships (gained from target school + gpa)
-Connections (gained from family)

jays978

Reaction score
Originally Posted by office drone
You should probably do the CFA program, if you haven't already started. Also go to analystforum and ask away there, as I imagine there are quite a few i-bankers to help you, or you can at least read the threads to get informed. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems that the consensus is that the CFA is relatively useless for Investment Banking/Private Equity and that most people in the industry do not hold a CFA. Was I misinformed?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Srsly, Fuuma can really help you out, I would PM him.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you a mathematician? Seriously, all those stories about hotshot young college graduates who may or may not be gaming the system making millions a year are math geeks. If you just want to be a garden variety investor like you read in the paper, then good luck on the corporate ladder. If you want to be an entrepreneur than start designing your own programs using your math skills. Not as romantic and mysterious as the movies, but this is the truth.

volatility smile

Reaction score
Take it from me: no, you don't. Do something else with your life that doesn't consume you with self-loathing. That is, if you want to do it solely for the money, which it sounds like...

jays978

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Are you a mathematician? Seriously, all those stories about hotshot young college graduates who may or may not be gaming the system making millions a year are math geeks. If you just want to be a garden variety investor like you read in the paper, then good luck on the corporate ladder. If you want to be an entrepreneur than start designing your own programs using your math skills. Not as romantic and mysterious as the movies, but this is the truth.

From my experiences (and that's not much), you don't have to be a math wizard or a modeling wizard, for that matter to be an Investment Banking Analyst, which is still considered to be an entry level position, where you are not expected to know everything and will learn to hone all your skills during the 1-2 year stint. In regards to my goals and where I want to get with IB, I really just want to gain some dynamic experience for about two years to break into a boutique Private Equity firm. By no means do I want to get into the trading or hedge funds.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
makeitstop.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quants are sucks. Thier models are fail them.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jays978
I plan to ultimately work for a boutique private equity firm in the Boston area . . . I am currently working at a custodian bank as a fund accountant . . . Thank you so much guys - SF really changed my life! =)

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
makeitstop.jpg

+1000

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads