or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Bought my first few items of "streetwear"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bought my first few items of "streetwear"

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Just an old fart trying to act younger than my age; presumably, I'll fail miserably. That said, as someone new to this segment, I was wondering the general consensus of the generalized quality/desirability of such Department Store (in this case, Macy's) brands as Pepe Jeans, Akademics, and Roca Wear.
post #2 of 18
i've found Macy's and Nordstrom's to be great for streetwear staples like Adidas and Puma especially on sale.

-Jeff
post #3 of 18
Hey, wvuguy. I finished my undergrad and went to law school at WVU. Welcome aboard.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin
Hey, wvuguy. I finished my undergrad and went to law school at WVU. Welcome aboard.

Always good to connect with other Mountaineers !!! FWIW, I'm just outside Cincinnati; where do you live, goblin ????
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuguy
Just an old fart trying to act younger than my age; presumably, I'll fail miserably. That said, as someone new to this segment, I was wondering the general consensus of the generalized quality/desirability of such Department Store (in this case, Macy's) brands as Pepe Jeans, Akademics, and Roca Wear.
the term streetwear used in this forum isn't the same commonly thrown around term "streetwear"- which refers more to "urban wear" which is the type of clothing the brands you listed produce. i'd elaborate but i gotta go right now, so i'll let someone else do it...
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuguy
Always good to connect with other Mountaineers !!! FWIW, I'm just outside Cincinnati; where do you live, goblin ????
I live in Cross Lanes and work in Charleston.

If you keep yourself in good shape and don't try to be something you're not, I don't see any reason why you'd "fail miserably" in the streetwear/casual department. I'm 35, and good basics like t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers are pretty much my entire casual wardrobe ... I avoid branding and logos like the plague, other than Chuck Taylors, and I make sure everything fits reasonably well. I can tell a definite difference between the way I dress and the way other lawyers my age dress when out of the office, and most people think I'm about 25, whereas most of the other lawyers my age look about 50. (This is not necessarily a good thing for me professionally, but works out just fine socially.) Except for my one pair of premium jeans, I spend a fraction of what they do on clothes.

I'm not saying avoid all personality in your style, far from it ... I fall pretty firmly into the ex-punk/skater camp - blank or band t-shirt, Nudie Regular Ralfs, and Chucks, with layers added and Docs instead of Chucks for winter. I've been wearing the same basic outfit, with fit differences, since like 1985, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to wear it in 2015. But it's all fairly unobtrusive, almost "anti-fashion" stuff.

I wouldn't go out and get a Bape t-shirt, True Religion jeans, and those Timberlands with the giant tree unless you know for sure you want a certain look. Past a certain age, you may just look like a total fashion victim.

How do you dress now? How old are you? What do you like to do in your "off" time? What are you trying to accomplish with your style overhaul? Do you want to look younger, pull college tail like a tractor, etc.? I've got to warn you, if you're just looking to impress chicks, this is probably the worst place in the world to ask advice. Seriously.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin
How do you dress now? How old are you? What do you like to do in your "off" time? What are you trying to accomplish with your style overhaul? Do you want to look younger, pull college tail like a tractor, etc.? I've got to warn you, if you're just looking to impress chicks, this is probably the worst place in the world to ask advice. Seriously.

I'm a long-ago lost my hair, married, father of two, Sales-type who's simply trying to inject a little fun into my casual dress "style". As for impressing chicks, I seriously doubt I could do it even with a $100,000 bill scotch-taped to my forehead.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuguy
I'm a long-ago lost my hair, married, father of two, Sales-type who's simply trying to inject a little fun into my casual dress "style". As for impressing chicks, I seriously doubt I could do it even with a $100,000 bill scotch-taped to my forehead.
I don't know how old your kids are but if your kids tell you they think you're not dressed your age or you look like a fool, you're probably not dressed your age and look like a fool
post #9 of 18
Something that's apparent in here is something I sort of stumbled on myself a year or so ago.... Fashion is really about knowing who you are, and showing your comfortable with it. Fashion for any other reason is 'false' and doesn't come across as true (like anything, for the right reasons only...). Anyhow, my advice....think about who you are and buy why you like. I personally use these forums as an oppertunity to get exposure to items I would otherwise not see. Whenver I look @ something I think about is it me.... Sooooo getting back to your question if you like them, they're great. We can't tell you what's good for you. I know that's the most annoying answer you can possibly get (and borderline unrespectful). I'll follow that up by saying, if you figure out what you're after in particular...(EG relaxed fitting jeans with price bracket x-y), you're much more likely to get advice on what's "better"(subjective, of course). Other EG's, want a plain t-shirt, tight fit, want boots/shoes colour/size/style etc.... Then you've defined a scope that we can work inside/towards. Hope that's of some help..... ~W
post #10 of 18
I'd recommend some Japanese repros - you can be cool while looking like you're wearing Levis.
post #11 of 18
^^^ Once again, to me, that's subjective pending on what the OP is after. He's got to tell us something like "I want to be cool looking like I'm wearing Levis" before we can really say Jap Repros. --Wade (Maybe I'm the confused one, who thought it was so clear?)
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo
I don't know how old your kids are but if your kids tell you they think you're not dressed your age or you look like a fool, you're probably not dressed your age and look like a fool


Knowing my kids, they'll actually think I'm pretty cool with the new duds......of course, they're only 12 years old. But, my point isn't to somehow transform myself into something I'm clearly not......nor to impress anyone with my trendiness. As I (hopefully) implied above, I don't think I could do either, even if I tried.

I'm simply interested in adding a little spice into this 49 year-old's typical golf shirt/T-shirt/plain shorts/Nautica denim-type casual wear "wardrobe". Also, I'm not talking about some groundswell change; merely a few printed/colorful jerseys and a couple pairs of jeans/casual pants. I'm still going to be living my life as your typical working stiff/father in the suburbs.
post #13 of 18
If I were in your shoes I'd stay away from the brands you mentioned in your first post. You'd look like you were trying to be in a rap video if went that route. Unless you can pull it off - but something about a 49 year old suburban lawyer wearing Akademics sagging off his ass (there is NO other way to wear these and the other brands you listed) seems WRONG on all levels.

But like Wade said you should wear what you like and feel comfortable in. But just stay away from the lawyerz in da hood look.
post #14 of 18
Off the cuff, I'd recommend some pieces by John Varvatos (usually readily available on sale), and Engineered Garments. You probably want to stick to earth tones or darker colors in interesting textures, and slimming but relaxed silhouettes, and minimal accessories - maybe a John Varvatos belt, which is nice, provides a little bit of visual interest, but is otherwise unobtrusive. Some dark jeans in a flattering, modern cut (for this reason I would advise against Japanese repros, and guide you towards Rag & Bone, which are more flattering on most men) and some well made, classic chukkas (like those from Clark's) would round it out. A base outfit might be an charcoal Engineered Garments Norfolk or Bedford jacket over a John Varvatos shirt, tucked in to a pair of RB1s and helf up by a Varvatos belt. Waxed leather Clark desert boots would round out the outfit. This way, you are dressing your age, but look stylish. Of course, the brands can be switched around. You could go for a Luciano Barbera jacket or a DKNY one instead of the Engineered Garments jacket, depending on your personal preferences and financial situation, for example. imhe, the problem with a lot of older guys is that they are afraid of contrast and saturated colors, and end up with lots of washed out looking outfits. For most guys, dark jackets and jeans paired with neutral shirts or shirts in saturated, off primary colors, work very well. Edit: I should add that a good haircut and good eyewear can work wonders, as can physical fitness. If you lack any of these three, I would advise that they'll do more for you than any outfit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuguy
Knowing my kids, they'll actually think I'm pretty cool with the new duds......of course, they're only 12 years old. But, my point isn't to somehow transform myself into something I'm clearly not......nor to impress anyone with my trendiness. As I (hopefully) implied above, I don't think I could do either, even if I tried. I'm simply interested in adding a little spice into this 49 year-old's typical golf shirt/T-shirt/plain shorts/Nautica denim-type casual wear "wardrobe". Also, I'm not talking about some groundswell change; merely a few printed/colorful jerseys and a couple pairs of jeans/casual pants. I'm still going to be living my life as your typical working stiff/father in the suburbs.
post #15 of 18
Look through the what are you wearing today thread. Specifically look at cheapmutha's posts. See what he does with the simple idea of jeans and a polo. Lots of times it's not what you wear but how you wear it. I gaurantee that there's jeans, tees, polos and khakis out there that look much 'streetier' than what you are wearing without you having to cross over into the alternate universe where 50yo guys are dressing like 15yo's that listen to hip hop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Bought my first few items of "streetwear"