• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got FIRED! what next?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just fired from my very unfulfilling tech support job at a telecom company.
What should I do next?

I'm currently an engineering student, but I need some part time money.

Why was I fired? Adherence, may have been a cumulation of lates and taking breaks at incorrect times. Who knows and I'm not entirely surprised.

I have no hate for the company though, good people there, it was just time.

I very much want to do some design work as I have experience with graphic design (no flash!) I was thinking of doing free lance and creating a website with my portfolio.

I am trained as an engineering student but can't commit to anything due to my course load, plus they probably won't hire me anyways.

Or should I get another no brainer, dead end job that pays decent as before?

MrBon

Reaction score
As a Bossman, the two golden rules are " don't be Late " and " Abusive Sick time "

If your late or leave early... that's theft of services.

A company, A section, A Manager... want's Loyalty/team player, not an individual who acts independently or feels the rules don't apply to them.

What that said i would suggest you be self employed so you can go and come as you please and only answer to yourself. Maybe getting fired was the best thing to happen to you, its what you do/go from here that counts. Good Luck.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't you loaf about and collect unemployment for like a decade nowadays?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

I'm wondering about that too, it would be sweet and I definitely paid into it tons.

If you are fired though depending on the reason it may not work.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
I'm wondering about that too, it would be sweet and I definitely paid into it tons.

If you are fired though depending on the reason it may not work.

If you were fired for no fault of your own, then yes, you might be able to collect. It sounds like you are at fault, and if so, the company is likely to dispute any unemployment claim you make.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Social Life, Food and Drink.

There ya go.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
If you were fired for no fault of your own, then yes, you might be able to collect. It sounds like you are at fault, and if so, the company is likely to dispute any unemployment claim you make.

True but I was more than likely laid off not fired as I received a hefty severance and a long explain about appreciating my work and not meeting the companies current business needs.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your job loss. Good luck finding something in the future that better fits your needs.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

I would sign up asap!

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
I would sign up asap!

LOL, honestly I would have quit quite soon anyhow given my job satisfaction and future prospects there, just sucks to be **** canned.

I'm actually feeling quite happy as this gives me an opportunity to plan the final year of my schooling and maybe get a job doing some graphic design which I've always wanted to experience.

Plus they paid me for a whole month+ bonuses + vacation/benefits pay out and my savings are cushy.

shademore

Reaction score
You're a student, right?
You can't commit to a "career", right?
You've got course work and presumably a social life, right?

Jobs are a distraction. They are a trap. Concentrate on enjoying being a student. You have your entire life to have an FN job.
If you need some extra jack either get a no brainer, odd job it off the boards, or go SEE (self employed entrepreneur) what you can make for yourself.

Oh and **** a lot of women... a LOT of women.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shademore
You're a student, right? You can't commit to a "career", right? You've got course work and presumably a social life, right? Jobs are a distraction. They are a trap. Concentrate on enjoying being a student. You have your entire life to have an FN job. If you need some extra jack either get a no brainer, odd job it off the boards, or go SEE (self employed entrepreneur) what you can make for yourself. Oh and **** a lot of women... a LOT of women.
best tip I've heard so far, thanks! and the ******* a lot of women, I'm working on it! and good point about jobs being a trap, my financial situation when i was hired though was dreary. it's much better now. also this job was very distracting as I reduced my course load drastically to work there.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
work at Nordstroms. Hawt women everywhere. Best job I've ever had.

imschatz

Reaction score
Look into unemployment and education.

An engineering friend of mine got laid off, and she is now collecting a pretty nice check from unemployment to cover tuition/living expenses while she goes to school.

Funny thing was .. she was "laid off" from a summer student position, that she was leaving anyways to go back to school.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread would be more apropos given the OP's user name if it was "FRIED" instead of "FIRED".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics