• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK import tax

stinger70

Reaction score
So i was just about to order a nice coat from canada when i "remember" about customs tax/import duty. Can anyone tell me if you always have to pay this when buying from outside the EU? If so it just makes the prices ridiculous. The coat is £120 to start with, but paying 12% duty and 17.5% vat push it up to like £160 and then its not such a bargain.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Yes, if they notice. I have never been able to figure out what they pick up on exactly as even when the value is clearly marked it sometimes comes through without charges.

For items made overseas I have often found that even if you have to pay the charges it is still cheaper than buying locally, presumably since the local dealers pay those charges anyway and then add their own profit to compensate.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked (about 5 yeas ago) it was extremely complicated. Almost every single item you can think of had a different import rate - an ovecoat may be 20%, a blazer nothing, a ski or technical jacket 5%. It may be simpler now, there are some links here: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...ESOURCES&lang=

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it also depends on who the carrier is. If it's UPS and the like you'll definitely get stung for duties, whereas you may get away with it if it goes through the host countries post office.

Not that I would condone such activity...
devil.gif

Gander

Reaction score
It's just as bad if you're trying to import a product from the USA into Canada. I wanted to buy a $25 USD item and by the time all the shipping, duty and brokerage fees were tacked on the same item was priced at $89 CAD and the two currencies were only a couple of cents apart. It's crazy stupid to buy anything from the US if you live in Canada and that's with NAFTA "savings".

This site works out the true cost if you live in Canada, http://www.thefinalcost.com/ of US products

I don't know if there's a similar site for UK residents but there should be one.

plain.gif

gaiguy

Reaction score
it is better to find some one buy for you from the country you want, and send as gift

that saves money

too much tax

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaiguy
it is better to find some one buy for you from the country you want, and send as gift

that saves money

too much tax

Doesn't always work, it depends on the carrier. Like I said if it's UPS you'll get stung.

JCHolmes

Reaction score
The UK import taxes are ridiculous. But if you ask the sender not to declare a value sometimes you can get away without the charge.

yesplease

Reaction score
You can usually avoid fees by having the seller mark the package as a gift with a value below £40. This is of course a risk if it's an expensive item as it will only be insured up to the value that its marked as.

Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
Doesn't always work, it depends on the carrier. Like I said if it's UPS you'll get stung.

Yes, the UPS fees for shipping to Canada can't be bypassed as far as I know. It's the shipping combined with the "brokerage" fees that make it not worth while to order products from foreign countries. The brokerage fees alone are typically 50% of the value of the item.

boxing[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads