• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir Renovateur to clean shoes?

GBer

Reaction score
Also heard it's good to condition. Any experiences with it? Better than saddle soap I've been told. Recommendations? How often should you use it?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
All those things, plus a good substitute in a pinch for shampoo and shower gel.

- B

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Also heard it's good to condition. Any experiences with it? Better than saddle soap I've been told. Recommendations? How often should you use it?

Avoid saddle soap. It's gonna dry out your shoes. I'd recommend Lexol for cleaning and using Saphir Renovateur afterwards.

laphroaig

Reaction score
You just might have tied the perfect fly to catch a Vox. I hope your line is strong enough.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
You just might have tied the perfect fly to catch a Vox. I hope your line is strong enough.

I poached some chicken legs once in Saphir Renovateur, and it made a passable confit.

It is the most Holy of Elixirs.

- B

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A quick comment...I've never used Saphir Renovateur but rubbing something on, even if you wipe off the excess isn't going to clean anything--it just moves the dirt around.

Dirt...the kind of dirt that gets on shoes...is, by nature, gritty. It is often comprised of microfine particles of ground rock, old coke bottles (there's a straight line for someone) and even, in some regions, obsidian glass.

Unless the shoe is washed on occasion...like when the moon is in the seventh house...and rinsed, those particles lodge in the creases of the shoe and act like any other abrasive--cutting the fibers of the shoe.

Don't confuse cleaning with conditioning.

Usul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I poached some chicken legs once in Saphir Renovateur, and it made a passable confit.

It is the most Holy of Elixirs.

- B

Wonderful! Mein chicken is too whrinkley, this will smooth it?

GBer

Reaction score

prefer a repellent

GBer

Reaction score

Could say it's like catching an old boot from the river

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
A quick comment...I've never used Saphir Renovateur but rubbing something on, even if you wipe off the excess isn't going to clean anything--it just moves the dirt around.

Dirt...the kind of dirt that gets on shoes...is, by nature, gritty. It is often comprised of microfine particles of ground rock, old coke bottles (there's a straight line for someone) and even, in some regions, obsidian glass.

Unless the shoe is washed on occasion...like when the moon is in the seventh house...and rinsed, those particles lodge in the creases of the shoe and act like any other abrasive--cutting the fibers of the shoe.

Don't confuse cleaning with conditioning.

If I might be so presumptious as to illustrate what DWF is saying with an analogy that many here on teh StyleForvm will understand:

It is like the difference between Americans and Canadians on one hand, and Europeans on the other.

Americans and Canadians (and by "Canadian" I, of course, exclude French Canadians) tend to shower and bathe every day. This habit helps to remove microfine particles of ground rock, old coke bottles, etc.

Europeans, in contrast, do not. They tend to rub lotion on their bodies and to douse themselves with cologne instead of bathing. This just moves the dirt around...including obsidian glass that settles on the body from the periodic eruptions of Vesuvius (a cone-shaped mountain near Naples.)

I hope that was helpful.

- B

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't that how soap works? It picks up dirt and allows it to be removed when the soap is. I don't see why shoe cleaner wouldn't work the same way.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
(and by "Canadian" I, of course, exclude French Canadians)

You must mean QuÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois. There are no "French" Canadians.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
DW, what products would you recommend for cleaning/conditioning? Any special tips?
Sri, I use Lexol ph (in the orange bottle) for cleaning. Lexol in the brown bottle for conditioning and Lexol NF (a highly homogenized but pure neetsfoot oil) for periodic conditioning of insoles. I have no affiliation with Lexol. I mentioned this in another thread but strange as it may seem "no more tears" ph-balanced baby shampoo will also work. Tearless onions have no effect.
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Isn't that how soap works? It picks up dirt and allows it to be removed when the soap is. I don't see why shoe cleaner wouldn't work the same way.
I think I'm repeating myself but it bears repeating--soap gets rinsed off. The oils and greases in soap lift and encapsulate the dirt so that a "flushing" with water can remove it from the surface. If you're not rinsing in the shower, you're not clean. More Joop is indicated. Again...saddle soap is fine for...ahem...saddles. On shoes in leaves a tallow residue that collects and holds dirt...in the creases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads