• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's true! You get treated better when you're suited up

SuitMyself

Reaction score
About three years ago, I was at a restaurant for which I had a gift card. I ordered my meal and the waitress was really friendly with me (she was constantly touching my suit jacket sleeve, smiling, all friendly and such--I always wear a suit and tie). When it came time to pay the bill, I used my gift card and the balance left from the card was given to me as cash back. I basically left the entire cash amount as a tip (which was about $15 and my meal was about $45.)

So . . . a few months later, I was at this restaurant again and I ended up being served by the same waitress as before but only this time I was in a sweatshirt and khakis and not a suit and tie.

Well.

My waitress didn't even so much as remember me (but I kind of expected that because how can she possibly remember EVERYONE?) and her level of service was complete different. She wasn't friendly with me (but she wasn't rude, either); she just asked "What would you like?", took my order, plopped my food in front of me, walked off; plopped my drink in front of me without so much as a word being said and walked off. Never once did she come back to check on me and inquire how I was enjoying my meal (she did this the first time I was here several months earlier but she didn't this time.)

Well.

So . . . as for the tip, well, I thought, Oh, hell, what's the big deal. I still tipped her (I gave the balance on the card--$15 just like the last time) and when she saw how much I left, she was stopped dead in her tracks and was shocked as anything. She was literally speechless. It was at this moment that she realized what a complete ***** she was for providing the kind of service she did and I just got up and left.

So.

Some of you are probably wondering why I gave such a generous tip when the service certainly didn't warrant it. Hell, I really don't know why.

If you want to be treated like a million bucks, put on your ******* suit and tie when dining out. If, on the other hand, you want to be treated like a schmuck, then wear your ****-stained (*insert name of favourite sports team*) jersey and baseball cap worn backwards.

Made in California

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this story. I normally wouldn't have liked your generous tip on Trip #2, but it worked well to share with StyleForum later.
blush.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could it be that possibly she was having a rough day?

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Could it be that possibly she was having a rough day?
I thought of that also, but I enjoy the story more when it's about a woman locked into a shallow way of thinking.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a tuxedo next time to see how much nicer she'll be than if you were in a suit.
devil.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get better results you should assemble a group of friends and get half of them to wear suits, while the other half wears jeans + t-shirt. Go there on the same day, pretend you don't know each other and take notes on how she treats each of the participants.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
To get better results you should assemble a group of friends and get half of them to wear suits, while the other half wears jeans + t-shirt. Go there on the same day, pretend you don't know each other and take notes on how she treats each of the participants.

+1

JensenH

Reaction score
Did you wear a wedding band the second time?
laugh.gif

Seriously, I do notice that I get better treatment when wearing a suit, or s.c. with tie. One time while checking in at the airport, my luggage was a little over the weight limit, the counter agent eyed me in my suit and tie and then gave me a smile and waived the overage fee.

On another business trip when I was also in suit and tie, I was upgraded to first class.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
About three years ago,

My waitress didn't even so much as remember me.

Boy I wonder if she has been counting on your tips. A tip every three years is just about enough for a new car.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

Boy I wonder if she has been counting on your tips. A tip every three years is just about enough for a new car.

It was about two months or so between my first and second visit, not three years between my first and second visit.

Originally Posted by SuitMyself

About three years ago, I was at a restaurant for which I had a gift card. I ordered my meal and the waitress was really friendly with me (she was constantly touching my suit jacket sleeve, smiling, all friendly and such--I always wear a suit and tie). When it came time to pay the bill, I used my gift card and the balance left from the card was given to me as cash back. I basically left the entire cash amount as a tip (which was about $15 and my meal was about $45.)

So . . . a few months later, I was at this restaurant again and I ended up being served by the same waitress as before but only this time I was in a sweatshirt and khakis and not a suit and tie.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What I find really gets good service is if you wear your nice suit, then go out, under the table unzip your fly and pull out your testicles (leave teh kawk inside - just the nuggets come out). Then, when the waitress comes, ask her for a napkin because you spilled something on your lap, and show her the berries. They love that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics