• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrast collars are the new skinny ties

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll give our old friend Ralph some credit here; he's been trying to make contrast collars The Hot New Thing for at least a year now. And it seems to be working. I see them everywhere these days: be it on TV, in magazines, on the street, etc. Most often worn tieless with jeans, distressing though that news may be to the more conservative dressers here.

Just a bit annoying, as I am a big fan of contrast collars/cuffs, and now I risk looking trendy.
plain.gif

Where are we on the hype cycle for this look?

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'll give our old friend Ralph some credit here; he's been trying to make contrast collars The Hot New Thing for at least a year now. And it seems to be working. I see them everywhere these days: be it on TV, in magazines, on the street, etc. Most often worn tieless with jeans, distressing though that news may be to the more conservative dressers here.

Just a bit annoying, as I am a big fan of contrast collars/cuffs, and now I risk looking trendy.
plain.gif

Stuck on backlash for the last 5 years?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Stuck on backlash for the last 5 years?

Well, then we're entering backlash to the backlash if that's the case.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
plain.gif

God forbid.

If you care about not appearing trendy, you're no better than people following the trends. What difference does it make?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
God forbid.

If you care about not appearing trendy, you're no better than people following the trends. What difference does it make?

Sorry, I'll remember to use my <joke></joke> tags next time.

rolleyes.gif

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most often worn tieless with jeans, distressing though that news may be to the more conservative dressers here.

I think a contrasting club collar shirt looks fine with jeans.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not compare them to skinny ties but they do seem to be making a greater apperance in the past couple of months. Skinny ties I fee while vastly popular over the last year really isn't all that great of a look, just some over done gorish fad. where as contrasting collars have been around for sometime now, it is a very elegant and classy style and I am glad it is making a resurgence. Only now I will not stand out as much when I wear them, if others are joining the ranks.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going on 20 years wearing them, they will come into fashion, and fade out of fashion, and I won't notice.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When my friends and I go to happy hour, it always seems that the loudest, most obnoxious/miserable assholes in the bar are the guys harassing the waitresses and proudly sporting loud, ill-fitting, light blue shirting with a bright white collar.

These are the guys who hit on girls mercilessly claiming that they're "bankers" when, in fact, they are bank tellers or - at best - one of those guys who calls you from your local bank after your balance has exceeded some arbitrary amount ($10,000) and they want you to stop in as soon as possible so that they can 'splain all the amazing **** they can do to your account now that you're a super duper highfalutin VIP customer of the bank.

These douches have permanently turned me off to a classic look, one that traces back to a day when rich men showed off their wealth and ability to clean their detachable, starched collars after each wear by commissioning a contrasting collar for their blue shirting. Dah, well. Collars don't detach any more (unless you're Bown's Bespoke and you're into costumish get-ups), so this look has outlived its usefulness anyway.

Beware the bright white collar on the light blue shirt. It is steadily firming-up its place as the international sign of douchebaggotry, something of a sartorial Von Dutch or Ed Hardy.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
It seems the majority of RTW shirts are blue with a white contrast collar and that if you want something other than blue, then you have to go MTM or bespoke.

Pity.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have several shirts with contrast collars, and have had contrast collar shirts in my rotation for a decade.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
In fashion, already on backlash, possibly farther. For the stylish guy where it's a part of his rotation, then i say rock on.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I have several shirts with contrast collars, and have had contrast collar shirts in my rotation for a decade.
There seems to be some misunderstanding/confusion here. I wasn't really starting this thread to weigh in on whether contrast collars are "new" or "classic" or "stylish" or any other qualifier other than that they appear to be quite trendy all of a sudden. I've worn some in my rotation throughout my professional life; I am not disputing that they are a classic item. Was just commenting on the fact that, while always stylish, they are now fashionable (or, perhaps, recently were). This took me by surprise, as they had never really been trendy or fashionable in my lifetime prior to very recently. Other than in Wall St circles.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score

plain.gif

I think it looks good. It kind of reminds me of the 80s banker look. I like it. Wall Street style.
laugh.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks contrast collars (almost) always look bad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads