or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hamilton over Timex 1600 or save $200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hamilton over Timex 1600 or save $200?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm in the market for one brown and one black "value" watch to get me through law school. I can't see myself paying over $400 for either watch but I definitely need it to last through school (3 yrs). No matter which watch I buy, I'll certainly be replacing it within a few months on the job after graduation. With that said, I am more or less decided on a black Tissot PRC200 and nearly clicked the checkout button for a brown Hamilton Khaki Auto at $350 shipped. http://www.bluek.co.jp/shop/item/tok...ds/19561_1.jpg However, after checking out some of the photos, I have to agree with posters off the J Crew boards in saying the new Timex 1600 is pretty slick...see below. Even though slightly pricey for a Timex, my student discount brings it down to $166. At a difference of almost $200 - is it really worth it for me to still get the Hamilton, especially if I'll be replacing it in <5 years? I am aware the Hamilton is auto and 'Swiss made' (for what that's worth nowadays) but what else justifies almost double the price of the Timex? I certainly don't want to overpay for the Hamilton if the Timex is just as good and almost half the price while looking the part. On the other hand, if the Hamilton happens to be THAT much better than the Timex, I can justify an extra couple hundred bucks for the increase in quality. I'll be using the watch as an every-day depending on what color I'll be wearing on my feet. I will definitely need it to pass underneath a suit and tie for the occasional OCI, banquet, etc. as well. What's the verdict from the watch gurus ?
post #2 of 14
I'd jump all over that Hamilton. They are one of the best values in Swiss made watches and will last you a very long time.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm starting to pick up on that. I guess there's nothing wrong with keeping the Hamilton in rotation even when I do buy something pricier down the line.

My biggest concern is how I could couple it with a suit - can the Khaki Auto be worn with a tie and jacket?
post #4 of 14
I own a Hamilton khaki mechanical (handwind) and love it. They quit offering it for sale in the states at some point, but a quick web search seemed to indicate it was available now. This is a great watch that could stay in your rotation for some time to come. If you want auto/mechanical, you could just get an Invicta. They have a few, uh, less "exuberant" models available and can usually be found for cheaper than the jcrew times.
post #5 of 14
I own a prc 200 and it's my only timepiece (stainless steel model). It goes with everything and gets heaps of compliments.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embargo63 View Post
I'm starting to pick up on that. I guess there's nothing wrong with keeping the Hamilton in rotation even when I do buy something pricier down the line.

My biggest concern is how I could couple it with a suit - can the Khaki Auto be worn with a tie and jacket?
Yes, the rules of watch wearing have changed a bit. Lots of men will even wear a dive watch with a suit, although I wouldn't go that far. If you want something a little dressier from Hamilton, check out their Jazzmaster Viewmatic.

Also, you might look around for something pre-owned. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. You can find lots of great watches by checking here: http://elitedealseeker.com/index.cgi?category=watches
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit44 View Post
Yes, the rules of watch wearing have changed a bit. Lots of men will even wear a dive watch with a suit, although I wouldn't go that far. If you want something a little dressier from Hamilton, check out their Jazzmaster Viewmatic.[/url]

Yes, probably because James Bond has done it in the movies a lot over the years, and people want to mirror that look. I wear my Omega Seamaster with suits quite often. It works very well indeed.
post #8 of 14
I'd go with the Hamilton. It'll be in your rotation even after you get your Patek Philippe or whatever. People tend to form a weird bond with their first "real" watch.

As for what watch to wear with a suit-- there really aren't many rules any more. Some days it's a dressier watch for me, and some days a nice diver, depending on my mood. It's just got to click with what you are wearing and your attitude that day.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
As always and expected - great advice from all. Many thanks.

I'm inclined to believe that for roughly $175 more, one gets so much more watch-for-the-money than with the Timex, however cool it looks.

Even though I could think of plenty of things to do with $175, the quality, reputation, and the respect the Hamilton garners even from the SF-breed of watch snobs justifies the extra funds.

I don't even have the watch yet. But, as an earlier post states, I can already see my self keeping a close eye on this watch even when I own watches worth more than my next door neighbor's '96 Honda Civic

-E63
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embargo63 View Post
As always and expected - great advice from all. Many thanks.

I'm inclined to believe that for roughly $175 more, one gets so much more watch-for-the-money than with the Timex, however cool it looks.

Even though I could think of plenty of things to do with $175, the quality, reputation, and the respect the Hamilton garners even from the SF-breed of watch snobs justifies the extra funds.

I don't even have the watch yet. But, as an earlier post states, I can already see my self keeping a close eye on this watch even when I own watches worth more than my next door neighbor's '96 Honda Civic

-E63

I've owned two Hamilton Khaki chronographs already. One was a gift to myself when I graduated from graduate school. It has a 42mm case and a blue dial, and I love it.

The second Hamilton chronograph I bought is a mid-size 38mm model with a black dial.

The Hamilton chronographs use the Valjoux 7750 ETA movement, which is used in nearly every high-end Swiss brand that sell for thousands of dollars more.
post #11 of 14
Those are two very different watches, in terms of style. I do second all the recommendations for the Hamilton. I have had a Khaki for over ten years, and they are excellent watches. However, I don't personally like the specific model you linked. I dislike the day wheel, and I find the dial very cluttered. The word 'KHAKI' on the dial has always bugged me a bit. For the same price you might consider the Valiant Auto from the Hamilton American Classic range. ETA 2824-2 automatic movement, 40mm stainless case, sapphire crystal, black or silver dial.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embargo63 View Post
I'm in the market for one brown and one black "value" watch to get me through law school.

I can't see myself paying over $400 for either watch but I definitely need it to last through school (3 yrs). No matter which watch I buy, I'll certainly be replacing it within a few months on the job after graduation.

You must have not begun law school yet, because when you do start, you will realize that law school is a style apocalypse. Flip flops, basketball shorts, baseball hats, etc. I remember one classmate sporting his "Fuck Michigan" t shirt to class the day before the Ohio St./UM game. My advice is to not overthink it. Check the SF "Poor Man's Watch Thread" here. You can get a decent looking watch for less than $150 and in some cases a lot less.
post #13 of 14
I do like the look of that last Hamilton. Shame it's 40mm.
post #14 of 14
the valiant looks like a small iwc portuguese. nice! i like the tissot prc200 the most though even though it's quartz.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hamilton over Timex 1600 or save $200?