• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New frying pan.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two days ago I bought a 28cm cast aluminium, triple coated non-stick (with titanium particles), porcelain finish pan from the Aldi across the road. £14. Made in China, but first impressions are very good.

Heavy duty, non stick is metal implement proof and the diamond finish on the pan bottom looks good for abuse. So far a three egg omelette is all I've thrown its way, but I have a good feeling about this one lasting more than a year or so before being binned.
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
edit: nevermind, i see they're German (I knew that in the past).

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm using a cast iron that was my great grandmother's.

XeF4

Reaction score
Have fun with your cancer. In case you didn't know, non stick coating is toxic and will vaporize around 350F and guess where that toxic vapor goes? I use a lodge cast iron skillet for pan frying.

oldseed

Reaction score
all i use is cast iron skillets/pans and ceramic dutch ovens. the heat is even throughout, cooks awesome, and you eat iron, not teflon.

sd

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frying pans should not expire in a year...stop using metal tools.

I use 3 fry/saute pans. One calphalon aluminum nonstick that never sees metal tools and is used mostly for eggs at the behest of julia child. One 12" cast iron that sees less use now that I mostly cook for myself but otherwise would be used for everything. There is also a straight sided stainless saute pan that gets used for a lot of things since it is smaller.

I wouldn't mind a smaller cast iron skillet that I could actually flip food in with the jerk motion...but it probably still would not replace the nonstick for 2-3 egg omelets.

Stay away from the cheapest teflon pans, don't use metal tools (not even a fork or a knife to cut something open), and clean it with something non-abrasive. This should last you plenty of time.

XeF4

Reaction score
Here is the ladder for pots & pans materials from best to worst.

Copper

cast iron

Steel

Alluminum
nonstick

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone who hates nonstick, I suppose you have domestic servants do your cleaning?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Everyone who hates nonstick, I suppose you have domestic servants do your cleaning?

nope... they also clean the non-sticks.

XeF4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
A properly seasoned cast iron pan is very non stick.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
Have fun with your cancer. In case you didn't know, non stick coating is toxic and will vaporize around 350F and guess where that toxic vapor goes? I use a lodge cast iron skillet for pan frying.

It's 500F, which makes a big difference when you are talking about cooking.

Originally Posted by XeF4
Here is the ladder for pots & pans materials from best to worst.

Copper

cast iron

Steel

Alluminum
nonstick

This is ridiculous. First, copper is not the best for all things, and surely it is not the best for frying pans. In fact, it is one of the worst. Second, if you stick to frying pans, different materials are better for cooking different things in different ways. I can't stand cast iron, fwiw, but others do like it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Any brand recommendations in the affordable range (sub $50)?

Lodge...like $20 at the most

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
I'm a big cast iron guy, I love it, all mine has most been passed down by grandmothers or scavenged at garage sales.....

if I'm not using cast iron (somethings, are just better NOT in cast because it retains TOO much heat, for instance if your pan searing steaks and throwing them in the oven), I'm using thick clad copper stainless

but....

but....I do have that 1 cheapo non-stick pan for eggs/omlettes and such....i buy it for 5$ at marshalls or TJ maxx and just throw them out a few times a year...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads