• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourdain tickets booked!

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just booked my tickets for a talk he's doing at the Lowry hotel on Tuesday. Last time he was here in Manchester some mates of mine took him out on the town 'till about 8am...I think he's more sensible these days, but we shall see...
smile.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the episode he did on los angeles was really, really disappointing.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get the excitement.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I like him...
tounge.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met him at a book signing for his Les Halles cookbook before he blew up on No Reservations. Alot of his talk is pretty canned and pre-written from what I remember. He was a nice guy though.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
the episode he did on los angeles was really, really disappointing.

I liked his "A Cook's Tour" episode of LA where he did the hotdogs and campanile. I also liked that he focused on the "real" parts of LA in the No Reservations.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I liked his "A Cook's Tour" episode of LA where he did the hotdogs and campanile. I also liked that he focused on the "real" parts of LA in the No Reservations.

"Real?" He went to Roscoe's, talked **** on what is essentially stoner food, and then went to Cole's for an ok french dip. The rest of the episode was about traffic, Derby Dolls, and Jerry Stahl. He might as well have gone to Norm's, or to Brown Derby for a Cobb Salad.

The whole episode was really unimaginative. I didn't expect him to be dining at AOC or anything, but I was really hoping he would focus on all the great overlooked places that are sandwiched between liquor stores and laundromats in strip malls. Or maybe spending a little time in Korea Town or Little Ethiopia, or just about anything besides Roscoe's and Cole's. If I remember correctly he did go to the Thai Town grocery store. That was good.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The better one's seem to be when he has a good local tagging along to show him off the beaten track gems. Didn't see the LA one...

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Real?" He went to Roscoe's, talked **** on what is essentially stoner food, and then went to Cole's for an ok french dip. The rest of the episode was about traffic, Derby Dolls, and Jerry Stahl. He might as well have gone to Norm's, or to Brown Derby for a Cobb Salad. The whole episode was really unimaginative. I didn't expect him to be dining at AOC or anything, but I was really hoping he would focus on all the great overlooked places that are sandwiched between liquor stores and laundromats in strip malls. Or maybe spending a little time in Korea Town or Little Ethiopia, or just about anything besides Roscoe's and Cole's. If I remember correctly he did go to the Thai Town grocery store. That was good.
He went to Thai town and had tried the different noodle soups in Thai restaurants that are sandwhiched between liquor stores/strip malls. ( ) He hit up some of the smaller worker mexican communities and got some Birria. Hit up a hole in the wall burrito stand in the hood (I actually ate there at Acosta Tacos on Tuesday). Roscoes....it is the first restaurant I went here when I moved here for college so it was nostalgic for me. to me, a lot of the No Reservations episodes get intensely boring when he starts getting philosophical and judgemental on things...its the way the show is, which is why I liked A Cooks Tour much more....N.R. is way overproduced.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
He went to Thai town and had tried the different noodle soups in Thai restaurants that are sandwhiched between liquor stores/strip malls. He hit up some of the smaller worker mexican communities and got some Birria. Hit up a hole in the wall burrito stand in the hood (I actually ate there at Acosta Tacos on Tuesday). Roscoes....it is the first restaurant I went here when I moved here for college so it was nostalgic for me.

[videol][/video]

I forgot about the Boyle Heights moment. That was good too.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the gang-banger segment was interesting as well near Hawthrorne.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Real?" He went to Roscoe's, talked **** on what is essentially stoner food, and then went to Cole's for an ok french dip. The rest of the episode was about traffic, Derby Dolls, and Jerry Stahl. He might as well have gone to Norm's, or to Brown Derby for a Cobb Salad.

The whole episode was really unimaginative. I didn't expect him to be dining at AOC or anything, but I was really hoping he would focus on all the great overlooked places that are sandwiched between liquor stores and laundromats in strip malls. Or maybe spending a little time in Korea Town or Little Ethiopia, or just about anything besides Roscoe's and Cole's. If I remember correctly he did go to the Thai Town grocery store. That was good.

Yeah, it was the same with this visit for "No Reservations" to DC. Everyone there was surprised about the places he picked. I much preferred "A Cook's Tour" better.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tony's a very smart guy and very funny. but after running hard to get to where he is, he does seem to coast sometimes. it takes an amazing amount of energy to do even a bad television show. really astonishing.

Monaco

Reaction score
I love this show, this guy probably has the best job in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads