• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ready to leave your country forever?

spb_lady

Reaction score
I'm from Russia and I may say it's not a country that can give you wide view on the world. Due to our soviet period of history a lot of people still don't go out of the country or leave the country just for holidays once or twice a year. Very small amount of russians go to other countries for study or work as it is usual for europeans and americans. Though I think most of students go back home after finishing their universities in other countries.

I'm also thinking now about moving to another country... may be not forever, but anyway I have no plans to come back to Russia after. I'm kind of open minded person, but still think it won't be easy to get used.

What about you? Do you live in your original country now? If not, why have you moved from there and how long will stay away? What difficulties have you met while getting used to your new place in the world? Are you ready to leave your original country forever? Which country would you prefer for this?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Country?? I got to leave the state first.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which mail-order agency did you use?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I might at some point. Depends on how America weathers the next few decades. Australia or Latin America would probably be where I'd wind up.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I might at some point. Depends on how America weathers the next few decades. Australia or Latin America would probably be where I'd wind up.

Same here. Lucky I got family in two countries down there, and I speak the language. Long way from retiring age though, and who knows what the **** is going to happen here. We'll see.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there was a time when i wanted this. the opportunity never really presented itself obviously, however, and i didn't pursue it with the vigor needed to make it happen.

i suppose i do regret slightly not having had that time, but i always would have wanted to return home.

today, i am quite happy where i am.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Same here. Lucky I got family in two countries down there, and I speak the language. Long way from retiring age though, and who knows what the **** is going to happen here. We'll see.

I've got family in Chile, but would never want live to where they are. I speak Spanish reasonably well and will likely wind up marrying a Latina, so I'd probably aim for Costa Rica or Argentina. Warm weather's a big plus for me.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have three nationalities and would never give any of them up. I grew-up in Australia and moved (fairly permanently) to the US a few years ago for family reasons.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I've got family in Chile, but would never want live to where they are. I speak Spanish reasonably well and will likely wind up marrying a Latina, so I'd probably aim for Costa Rica or Argentina. Warm weather's a big plus for me.

The only snag I see is really old age. Wouldn't want to be a burden to my families, and not sure how foreign countries treat the elderly tourist who can't take care of themselves anymore. I wouldn't want to return home just to go to a damn convalescent home.

Gotta seriously think ahead for this too work. No way do I want to retire in America.

delakingois

Reaction score
I dont know if one is qualified to answer this question until they've lived in another country for at least a few years. I think it takes a while to notice the really annoying things about living in a certain place.

I'm young, and I have plans that might result in me permanently moving to Holland, so we'll see I guess. I've lived in Sweden all my life, and I can easily list many things I love about this country, but there are almost an equal amount of reasons to leave.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents did this, moving from India after they graduated from med school/grad school & got married. I've been born & raised in the US of A, and I couldn't see myself moving away from my parents & my friends forever... However, I've always had a plan to buy a residence in either Italy or Switzerland after schooling and such are done. But not necessarily to move there forever.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably gonna live in Asia after I graduate.

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Probably gonna live in Asia after I graduate.

why in Asia and where exactly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads