• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For my dearest Kyle: dinner at the French Laundry

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So that Kyle stops pestering me, I will tell everybody about my dinner at the French Laundry last Friday. I am nearly positive that nobody really cares, and I neither take pictures at dinner nor do I like to use extra words, so:

Amuses bouche: First was a mornay stuffed gougere. This was fine, and well executed, but these mini gougeres are simply not as good, both taste and texture wise, as a regular gougere. Second was a smoked salmon in a sesame cone thing. I loved this, though I generally do not love sesame.

First course: Oysters and pearls. Not much to say. This was fantastic. By far the best dish of the night.

Second course: Foie gras "en torchon." Extremely disappointing. The texture was awful. It had none of the complexity or silkiness of a good foie gras preparation. It was way overworked, I assume so that it would look perfect, but the result was really awful. It was also practically unseasoned. Bringing gimmicky salt to the table with foie gras is fine, but it is not a substitute for seasoning it first. I guess the warm brioche was nice, but I would prefer good foie gras. Also, a $30 supplement? Really?

Third course: Some sort of mackerel in a sickly sweet sauce. I am sure they did not call the sauce sickly sweet, but that is what it was. It tasted of dying flowers. Also terrible.

Fourth course: Lobster with bordelais sauce. This was nice. I liked it more than the other people at the table who found theirs to be less than warm when they arrived.

Fifth course: Squab with dates and almonds. This was OK, though not spectacular. Also luke warm. Very pretty dish. Flavors were lacked much complexity.

Sixth course: Lamb loin. I liked this a lot, though it was also coolish in the middle.

Seventh course: Some sort of passionfruit sorbet. This was fantastic. Really unbelievably good. Along with the oysters and pearls, easily the highlight of the meal.

Eighth course: Peaches and cream. Whatever. Not bad, but basically another plated fancy desert which is more beautiful than tasty.

Service: Well, the food, as mediocre as it was, was better than the service. Between asking one guy if he knew what squab was, in a very haughty tone, and berating one woman for not wanting a glass of their special bottled at two atmospheres less than normal pressure, the service was, needless to say, disappointing.

There you go, Kyle. Now everybody can get all upset about "you don't know what you are talking about" and "Keller is a God, how dare you question him." The thing is, I am pretty easy to please even if I don't always love everything (others can confirm this,) and I have eaten all my life in restaurants like this, and this was not a good meal. Fire away.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
you don't know what you are talking about Keller is a god how dare you question him

(and what was le wine for the night?)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
About time!
Seriously though, it is surprising and sad that the meal was so bad. A course or two not being great is to be expected with long tasting menus, but something that Keller seems to care about as much as foie being a complete flop is bad.
And the thought of trying so hard to upsell wine at a dinner where it's already costing several hundred dollars a head is just completely unacceptable.
Alinea will be better, I am sure.

Then again, it has been a while since you tasted my food. Maybe your palate has just gone way downhill.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How dare you, etc.

(thank you Manton)

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest review. Well, I guess that is another "must do" I can cross off my list. Really, thanks for the vicarious experience and saving me $600 in the process!

Saltricks

Reaction score
I've been meaning to go here. It's sad to see that bad service/ food is still possible even at french laundry

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Thanks for the honest review. Well, I guess that is another "must do" I can cross off my list. Really, thanks for the vicarious experience and saving me $600 in the process!
+1

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So I count ten courses, of which you strongly disliked two, really loved two, and at least liked six. This is not such a negative review, it seems to me.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the place is losing too much money? BOH and FOH are probably more stressed out than usual. Wouldn't surprise me with the current economy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Matt, thanks for the brief and honest write up. For my mental balance sheet, that dinner vs. Cyrus with the pairings?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Matt, thanks for the brief and honest write up. For my mental balance sheet, that dinner vs. Cyrus with the pairings?
I've been to Cyrus half a dozen times in my life. The dinner we had was similar to five of those times, with one meal being much worse than the others. This was considerably worse that the time we went, and probably as good as the worst meal I have had at Cyrus.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$600? Really?

Jeepers, maybe I'm not going to make it to the FL.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's $240 a head, which includes service but not wine (or any drinks at all for that matter).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's $240 a head, which includes service but not wine (or any drinks at all for that matter).
$270 if you want an extremely flawed foie gras preparation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads