• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current SF bay area restaurant recs

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the bay area for a few days next month. So I've already been to The French Laundry and Slanted Door which are both good for different reasons. I found Aqua mediocre. I'm thinking of trying Cyrus or Gary Danko. What do you guys think about Meadowood?

Maybe I'll eat lots of Pho, which I haven't found good in NYC.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Flour & Water for sure. So good.

Kokkari is really good too, if you like Greek food. And Boulevard. I kind of think Danko is overrated, but that's just me.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
coi, fleur de lys, ame etc for fancy food. cyrus i also hear good things about. if you've been to french laundry i would also check out bouchon and ad hoc, his other restaurants. auberge de soleil, etoile, mustard grill etc in napa

in sf,

there's a place called yoshi's jazz club on filmore street that i enjoyed. the beignets were mind bogglingly good. really good food. reasonably priced

poc chuc, la taqueria, etc for mexican food

there's a place close to union square called larkin express burmese kitchen. get a tea salad

i've had a lot of macarons in sfs and paulette's were i think the best. i liked the cassis flavored one and the ubiquitous pistachio

acme baguettes in the ferry building are a definite. they're the first bread mentioned in maggie glazer's artisanal baking. quite quite delicious when baked fresh and still very delicious later in the day. some prosciutto maybe tapenade or olive oil from that olive oil place in the ferry building would be a nice meal.

the bar at 15 romolo in the red light district was pretty good. the sliders were kinda meh, but the martini was quite quite nice.

danta (egg pastry thingies) at the golden gate bakery are honestly a must. you can skip everything else, but danta at golden gate bakery, acme baguettes, and la taqueria tacos i wouldn't.

koi palace or yank sing for dimsum.

salt and pepper crabs at R&G lounge

that was kinda long, i'm sure there are more places i'm missing. hopefully others will chime in

if you run across any pizza my hearts, i think they're a pretty top notch chain restaurant. NY style thin pizza. quite good

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are a few of my favorites in SF:
Nopa (Divisadero St) good cocktails, too.
Zuni Cafe (Market St)
Perbacco (California St)
Bar Bambino (16th St)
(I like 'rustic' cooking)

+1 on Kokkari. It's good.
I think the only pho I've had was way out in the Avenues.
Don't know it it's worth going out of your way for it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i always wanted to try the roast chicken at zuni cafe, but never got a chance

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not "current" but it's "classic".

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been here for the last two weeks -

I haven't had a bad meal yet:

R&G Lounge
Tadich Grill
Wayfare Tavern
Sebo
Ramen Dojo in San Mateo
Perbacco
Absinthe (although it was a little over-seasoned, the drinks rocked)
Wood Tavern (actually went about 6 months ago last time I was here, but it was memorable)
Tofu Cabin Soon do boo house in Foster City
Slanted Door (just drinks & apps , but very happy with them)

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
What do you guys think about Meadowood?

I had dinner there with my wife last month and I was very impressed. The food is fantastic, a good mix of straightforward and whimsical. Service is top notch, attentive but unobtrusive, and I liked the room, found it very comfortable. One thing I really appreciated is their flexibility. They offer a tasting menu, a seasonal tasting menu, and a la carte and allow you to basically pick and choose from all parts of the menu, which is frequently not the case. I found it to not only be outstanding in all regards, but relative to the French Laundry, a great value.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having lunch there tomorrow... didn't write because I did not know for sure it would keep the streak alive.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Here are a few of my favorites in SF:
Nopa (Divisadero St) good cocktails, too.
Zuni Cafe (Market St)
Perbacco (California St)
Bar Bambino (16th St)
(I like 'rustic' cooking)

+1 on Kokkari. It's good.
I think the only pho I've had was way out in the Avenues.
Don't know it it's worth going out of your way for it.

I used to live in the outer sunset so I got there for my Pho fix.

I'll probably be staying in the south bay so we'll see how many times I make it into SF. maybe I should stay I SF instead.

Any sushi recs? I used to go to a place in Noe valley but I have forgotten the name.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I used to live in the outer sunset so I got there for my Pho fix.

I'll probably be staying in the south bay so we'll see how many times I make it into SF. maybe I should stay I SF instead.

Any sushi recs? I used to go to a place in Noe valley but I have forgotten the name.

I hear Sebo is really good for sushi. Going tonight. I'm mixed on Zuni. I generally love it, but it is a lot of hype for a roast chicken. Still, good food. I do love Perbacco, probably my fave in the city these days.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely try Danko. If you love steak and like Kobe beef go to 5A5. Benu is open which the owner/chef was the protege of Thomas Keller.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
+1000 on Flour+Water

I think its the best restaurant in SF. Its just one culinary surprise after another. The key is to order go with someone who likes to share.

Do it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UpperWestie
+1000 on Flour+Water

I think its the best restaurant in SF. Its just one culinary surprise after another. The key is to order go with someone who likes to share.

Do it.

ugh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads