or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Button-down collar w/french cuff Finamore shirt - wtf?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Button-down collar w/french cuff Finamore shirt - wtf?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
As much as I like many of Finamore's shirts, this one is so wrong. Who would wear such a thing? Looks like a poor bastard child.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FINAMORE-NAPOLI-...QQcmdZViewItem
post #2 of 35
Actually, in a different fabric, I would wear it. I used to be 100% against the FC, button down collar combo but now I am into it. Go figure. Look at it from this perspective, how many people are you going to see on the street wearing this type of shirt? For me, this falls under the "it's so wrong, it's right" category.
post #3 of 35
post #4 of 35
It would also seem that the sports coat has working button holes with a flap on the breast pocket. Fascinating.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Actually, in a different fabric, I would wear it. I used to be 100% against the FC, button down collar combo but now I am into it. Go figure. Look at it from this perspective, how many people are you going to see on the street wearing this type of shirt? For me, this falls under the "it's so wrong, it's right" category.

agreed, and it gives you a valid excuse if you are one of those who insists on wearing cufflinks with business casual. The collar says "jacket? what jacket, I work in IT", but the cuffs say "bling!"
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Actually, in a different fabric, I would wear it. I used to be 100% against the FC, button down collar combo but now I am into it. Go figure. Look at it from this perspective, how many people are you going to see on the street wearing this type of shirt? For me, this falls under the "it's so wrong, it's right" category.


I'd rather find a different way to break the rules. I wouldn't wear it.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I'd rather find a different way to break the rules. I wouldn't wear it.

Second that opinion. I can't do the unbuttoned collar with cufflinks.
post #8 of 35
I just do not like button-down collars - would not do it. I like collars that look sharp (yes, maybe weird coming from someone from the Mediterrannean area but still )
post #9 of 35
Weird. Maybe if I was Cary Grant I'd do it, but otherwise no.
post #10 of 35
Seems very Italian, what with their love of the buttondown. But I wouldn't wear it.
post #11 of 35
I know a gentleman in his 50's-60's . . . about 5'-6", Southern Italian decent, California bred, lived everywhere, very cosmopolitain. . . . Dresses great by anyone's estimation, with the one quirk that he always wears button down collars and french cuffs.

In fact, he always has custom ordered all of his shirts because he can't actually find them that way anywhere.

No one, including himself, has known anyone else who would even contemplate wearing such a combo, let alone spending the time/money to have them made that way. Until now, I guess . . .
post #12 of 35
Thom Browne did this, what, Fall 05?
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Seems very Italian, what with their love of the buttondown. But I wouldn't wear it.

Yep. They are our neighbours but that is an Italian look I would not ape
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOfPCH

No one, including himself, has known anyone else who would even contemplate wearing such a combo, let alone spending the time/money to have them made that way. Until now, I guess . . .

You would be hard pressed to find a bespoke shirtmaker has hasn't made his share of BD FC shirts. They're not that exotic. When a style icon such as Cary Grant wears them, other men will naturally try to emulate.
post #15 of 35
Carey Grant or Jesus Christ, I don't care who has worn a shirt in that style. I would never wear something like that. I'd have to mock myself behind my back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Button-down collar w/french cuff Finamore shirt - wtf?