• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making your own pickles

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
On my first attempt. Does anyone have any favorite recipes that they've tried? The batch I've got fermenting at the moment includes a ton of fresh chopped dill, 5 small garlic cloves, and maybe 15 peppercorns. Kind of wishing I had thrown in some mustard seeds.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife does it the exact way that you've described (no mustard seeds). I don't like pickles, but she and my daughter love them. They have been making pickles with fresh mini cucumbers that we have been getting this summer from a local farm (via a weekly CSA program) and have been very pleased with the results.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
On my first attempt. Does anyone have any favorite recipes that they've tried? The batch I've got fermenting at the moment includes a ton of fresh chopped dill, 5 small garlic cloves, and maybe 15 peppercorns. Kind of wishing I had thrown in some mustard seeds.

I grew banana peppers last summer and pickled those with a recipe I found online. Maybe I picked the peppers too early, but when I opened that jar to eat one I nearly gagged. Had to dump all 4 jars I made.

I've had some success with pickles though. What you're describing is a very standard recipe. However, I enjoy them when they're spicy so I usually add some chopped chili peppers (any kind with heat will do) to each jar. Usually I do this with several different kinds of peppers for each jar because it can be a real gamble, heat-wise. Best to mix it up with a few jars and get some mild and hot batches.

Next time just keep experimenting by tweaking the recipe for each jar a little bit. Add some mustard seeds to your next batch or some cumin seed. You could even try making kool-aid pickles like I had down in Alabama. It was...interesting.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright

I've had some success with pickles though. What you're describing is a very standard recipe. However, I enjoy them when they're spicy so I usually add some chopped chili peppers (any kind with heat will do) to each jar. Usually I do this with several different kinds of peppers for each jar because it can be a real gamble, heat-wise. Best to mix it up with a few jars and get some mild and hot batches.

Next time just keep experimenting by tweaking the recipe for each jar a little bit. Add some mustard seeds to your next batch or some cumin seed. You could even try making kool-aid pickles like I had down in Alabama. It was...interesting.

thanks for the advice. don't know about kool aid, but i was thinking that saffron pickles would be good. going to try this recipe next week:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...cumber-pickles

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with absolutely no modesty, this. be sure and try judy rogers' zucchini pickles. awesome.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
with absolutely no modesty, this. be sure and try judy rogers' zucchini pickles. awesome.
Nice story, but how about a damn recipe.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nice story, but how about a damn recipe.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
From my thread on smoked and cured meats:

Originally Posted by Piobaire
So I tried something new last weekend. I used Ruhlman's pickling recipe to make some home made fresh veggie pickles. Been soaking them in my wine cellar, as that's the proper temp (under 75 to stop formation of bad bacteria). They taste fantastic.

IMG_0882.jpg

For part of dinner tonight, I will be crisping up these babies:

IMG_0883.jpg

Some of the pork belly confit from a few weeks ago.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Pio, do you store them in the cellar immediately? I let mine sit for 2 1/2 days in a cabinet, and then put them in the refrigerator per the recipe I was using. Now you've got me paranoid that I'm going to be ingesting a petri dish.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Pio, do you store them in the cellar immediately? I let mine sit for 2 1/2 days in a cabinet, and then put them in the refrigerator per the recipe I was using. Now you've got me paranoid that I'm going to be ingesting a petri dish.

I do cellar immediately. Ruhlman and Polcyn are my gods, I do not vary from dogma. Of course, if your cabinet is under 75, no worries. Fridges are so cold they require longer time than my wine cellar, btw. Also, make sure everything is 100% submerged in the brine.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I do cellar immediately. Ruhlman and Polcyn are my gods, I do not vary from dogma. Of course, if your cabinet is under 75, no worries. Fridges are so cold they require longer time than my wine cellar, btw. Also, make sure everything is 100% submerged in the brine.

hmm. how long do they take in your cellar? we have a cool basement. maybe i'll try fermenting them there. the recipe i used recommended 2-3 days left out and 4-6 in the fridge prior to eating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads