• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you want to wear a Slim fitting shirt... You need to wear slim fitting undershirts

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to wear a Slim fitting shirt... You need to wear slim fitting undershirts.
It is hard to get a loose fitting Hanes T-shirt to fit properly under a shirt with higher then normal armholes.
I have purchased some at Uniqlo.
any other affordable suggestions.

jackgibbs

Reaction score
umm. calvin klein makes shirts that are for "layering" that are form fitting. Are we allowed to buy calvin klein here?

or you can always go with man spanxx...

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
People still wear undershirts?

myke

Yeah, really. Who wears undershirts? First of all, it is the peak of summer and the last thing I need is yet another layer. Second of all, who needs the added tucking complication of yet another layer? Thirdly, yuck. Just, yuck. If you are going to sweat out your dress shirts, maybe you need to reconsider your wardrobe entirely.

Mike

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I'm pretty particular of my undershirts and I will return a whole batch often if I don't like the fit one bit or keep it to wear to work out if I can't return it.

I really like the Hanes vneck and crewneck shirts at Target recently. I buy one size smaller (medium when I wear large in tees and 42 in jacket) and the armholes and the fit around my torso and waist is trim and sculpted. Works well with all my shirts.

I don't get why people would ask "who wears undershirts??" Or anything THEY don't do like as if they can't see life any other way. I wear them to put a protective layer between my shirts and skin oils and perspiration that forms during the course of a day. Unlike you who ask, I actually do stuff throughout the day. I guess I don't need an undershirt if I sit on the couch circling job ads in the newspaper all day. HA!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

tazmaniac

Reaction score
+1. While I wouldn't go so far as to generally condemn undershirt-wearing, I really don't understand it. Seems very uncomfortable and unnecessary to me.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
People still wear undershirts?

myke

Yes. In fact, mine are handmade with MOP buttons and
were salvaged from the Metta Catharina along with the more
famous Russian Leather.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I really like the Hanes vneck and crewneck shirts at Target recently. I buy one size smaller (medium when I wear large in tees and 42 in jacket) and the armholes and the fit around my torso and waist is trim and sculpted. Works well with all my shirts

This.

I do the exact same thing. Hanes v-neck, one size down, bought in bulk at Target. I see undershirts as pretty disposable, so my biggest concerns are that they be cheap, comfortable, 100% cotton, and form fitting. Hanes accomplishes all of these.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear undershirts whenever I am wearing a light colored shirt or not wearing a tie and jacket because (1) I don't like my tattoos showing through (2) I don't like my chest hair peaking out and (3) I don't like the thought of sweat being visible.

I have been buying a size down plain white t-shirts from American Apparel. They work alright, but would prefer a cheaper option. Carl, what does uniqlo charge? AA's are like 20 bucks.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found my answer recently by experimenting with American Apparel #6456 (deep v-neck T). I'm a 38R and took a small. Not only are the armholes cut high enough to accommodate my Borrellis, Barbas and Finamores, but the fabric is thin enough that I stay cool and I barely notice tucking in an extra layer.

Bonus round: the V is deep enough that when I pop the second button towards the end of the day the T still doesn't appear.
smile.gif

Double bonus round: these are available on teh Bay from a trusted seller.
bounce2.gif

Warning: I wouldn't venture out with these as a normal T shirt, since as a standalone you would appear as douchy as the model on the AA site...
devil.gif

I had Sunspel and Zimmerli as back-ups, but won't have to escalate and saved myself a pair of shoes in the process.
inlove.gif

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
AA's are like 20 bucks.

I just grabbed 4 more following my post... $10 each. Not sure about decorum for IDing sellers so PM if you'd like details.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't sweat. That is below the salt.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads