• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit opinion on 2 suits

mech IFR

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been lurking the forums for several months trying to absorb as much as possible. You guys are a fantastic resource and to say I've learned a lot from these forums would be an understatement. So I'm a relative newb to quality clothes. My typical suits in the past have been of the JAB variety. I guess I would say that I'm slowly trying to build a decent quality wardrobe. Actually, the thrift-bragging thread has gotten me into a few shops recently, which is the reason for this post. Below are two suits I picked up from a local thrift shop. There are no manufactures labels other than the tailor's (Sills, pictured below). The garments seem to be of great build quality, but that's where one of my questions on in: 1. Do the jackets immediately scream "too small"? If so, is there anything I could do to salvage them? 2. What would you consider the style of these jackets? The tailor tags have them produced in the early 80s. 3. What features on a jacket are indicative of quality? The button hole tailoring and surgeon's cuffs were my first sign. What else would one look for? Any other general constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
2n04eup.jpg
2ywwgud.jpg
9sdncm.jpg
9qws8w.jpg
2yyum9l.jpg
k3reqc.jpg
148i1hj.jpg
727lfc.jpg
22fbcj.jpg
If it's of any help, I'm 6'2" at 185lbs. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. The learning process continues!

chrisb0109

Reaction score
too small.

There is a difference between a suit being slim, even tight, and being the wrong size. Unfortunately these are the latter.

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
too small.

There is a difference between a suit being slim, even tight, and being the wrong size. Unfortunately these are the latter.

I appreciate the quick response. What are you looking for (fit-wise) from the pics that makes you think they are too small? Sleeves? Back? I'd like to avoid this in the future if possible. Thanks!

hand-woven1

Reaction score
The quality of the garmets look good but the jackets are way too short and the shoulders are too small! Sorry, no way these will work for you IMO.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
The length of everything is my main problem. It just not proportional to your body.

While short jackets are fashionable now, the shortness of these jackets is as a result of a generally too small size, causing the shape of the torso to sit too high compared to your own. The narrowest part of the jacket seems to sit below your chest rather than at your waist.

This is of course only part of the problem. The small size is also evident in the shoulders and armpits.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their both a bit too tight in the body, but no unbearably so. The main problem is the length, both overall and of the sleeves. Even if you're going for a fashion-forward length of jacket, the sleeve length is just crazy. You're meant to show 1/4-1/2" of shirt cuff, not 3 inches...

I'd say the shoulders are also a bit too narrow for you.

Unfortunately I doubt there will be enough fabric to length then sleeves as much as would be necessary, and you certainly can't lengthen the jacket itself by much, so there's not a lot you can do about these.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look like some short-sleeved suits to me.

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
The length of everything is my main problem. It just not proportional to your body.

While short jackets are fashionable now, the shortness of these jackets is as a result of a generally too small size, causing the shape of the torso to sit too high compared to your own. The narrowest part of the jacket seems to sit below your chest rather than at your waist.

This is of course only part of the problem. The small size is also evident in the shoulders and armpits.

Good info. Naive question but, in relation to the waist of trousers, where should the bottom of the jacket sit? Are there different lengths for different styles?

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Their both a bit too tight in the body, but no unbearably so. The main problem is the length, both overall and of the sleeves. Even if you're going for a fashion-forward length of jacket, the sleeve length is just crazy. You're meant to show 1/4-1/2" of shirt cuff, not 3 inches...

I'd say the shoulders are also a bit too narrow for you.

Unfortunately I doubt there will be enough fabric to length then sleeves as much as would be necessary, and you certainly can't lengthen the jacket itself by much, so there's not a lot you can do about these.

I agree with the length of the sleeves. I'll drop by my tailor today and see if he thinks anything can be done. If not (most likely), I'll simply continue my bargain search. Again, I appreciate the comments.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
What on earth made you think these were NOT too small?

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tazmaniac
What on earth made you think these were NOT too small?

Two things:

1. My overall lack of experience in suit fit and style

2. My general impression that contemporary styling was a bit on the tight/short side. Also, both suits were $6 total..... I see this as a cheap learning experience more than anything. I'd rather screw up the sizing on a $3 suit than d $1,200 one
smile.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
youve got a good thome brown look going on.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at Vox's Weekly WAYWRN http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=165694 thread to see proper fit. Scroll through the months of selected pictures. It will give you an idea of proper fit that is sometimes narrow, but always properly sized. It will also give you an idea of acceptable sleeve length. There is a range, but the range only extends to about 1/2" of shirt sleeve showing with button cuffs and maybe 3/4" with double or French cuffs. What do the jackets measure across the chest under the armpits and across the shoulders sleeve the sleeve in back. I might be willing to take this off your hands for a profit enough to tailor your first suit that's close enough to your true measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads