• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Little disappointed with steven alan shirts

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Fit is almost spot on in a L, nice and slim with short hem but the back is way too long. This was the reverse seam pocket, I hope the other cuts aren't like this. I don't know why there is such a variance in length from front to back.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
I never understood the appeal. Everything in that store is overpriced hipsterwear that you can find in discount stores. They tried to bring some real designers once, but it never worked.

I think that that's a little unfair. They don't carry the really high end stuff, but they have solid mix of moderately priced brands like 5EP, Engineered Garments, and Spruce (W+H now) that you don't find at discount stores (or if you do, PM me, because I would like to go to those stores.) I'll agree that the selection is not really adventurous. I see it as sort of an East Coast American Rag - used to be a great player, now still a solid role player.

Like your blog, btw. Glad to see fans of the Antwerp Six here.

faust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that that's a little unfair. They don't carry the really high end stuff, but they have solid mix of moderately priced brands like 5EP, Engineered Garments, and Spruce (W+H now) that you don't find at discount stores (or if you do, PM me, because I would like to go to those stores.) I'll agree that the selection is not really adventurous. I see it as sort of an East Coast American Rag - used to be a great player, now still a solid role player.

Ahh, thanks for the compliment. Yea, I don't know, I still haven't shaken off the feeling that people are being taken for a ride by the likes of Steven Allan and Nom de Guerre - maybe I am wrong. I haven't been to the store in a while, since they dropped Junya Watanabe and CDG Shirt. I have to check out Spruce in person to give an honest opinion. If I find it in discount stores I'll PM you for sure. Stuff like Rogan, though - well, that's dime a dozen now...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
Ahh, thanks for the compliment. Yea, I don't know, I still haven't shaken off the feeling that people are being taken for a ride by the likes of Steven Allan and Nom de Guerre - maybe I am wrong. I haven't been to the store in a while, since they dropped Junya Watanabe and CDG Shirt. I have to check out Spruce in person to give an honest opinion. If I find it in discount stores I'll PM you for sure. Stuff like Rogan, though - well, that's dime a dozen now...

Nom de Guerre - they are going to all store brand stuff, no? I've seen their jeans, and they are really well done, if overpriced. Their tees are pretty mediocre. Their hoodies are nice, but overpriced.

American Rag is a little higher end then those stores - they carry Paul Smith, Obedient Sons, Junya and CdG Shirt, as well as more pedestrian stuff.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I was looking at my engineered garment jacket and comparing the construction to the much higher-end (higher priced) I own and I can't sincerely say what makes it inferior, from a contruction perspective. Not that construction mattters more than say, design, but it's still an important factor when determining price.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love my steven alan reverse seam shirt and the fit for me is spot on. i bought them for more than half off in a store in philly that was liquidating their clothing stock. what size are you?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
The large fit me perfectly but the length in back was too long even though the front length was just right.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i love my steven alan reverse seam shirt and the fit for me is spot on. i bought them for more than half off in a store in philly that was liquidating their clothing stock. what size are you?

This liquidation wouldn't still happen to be going on, would it?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i bought them for more than half off in a store in philly that was liquidating their clothing stock.

Ubiq, right? These days, they are just a sneaker shop. Nice sneaks though, and decent prices. Vans Vault Olive perforated slip ons are the list $60, and not the ridiculous prices Commonwealth and other stores charge...

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ubiq, right? These days, they are just a sneaker shop. Nice sneaks though, and decent prices. Vans Vault Olive perforated slip ons are the list $60, and not the ridiculous prices Commonwealth and other stores charge...

ha yeah, i made out like a bandit cuz the buyer there picked some amazing brands but people in philly are so marsupialed when it comes to fashion so they never bought anything. Rag and bone's for like $110, 2 pairs of R&B selvage for like $130 (i don't know about the retail nowadays but they retailed for like $325 at the time) amazing rogan buttonups for like $50, and yeah, steven alan shirts for like $50.....WTHN is pretty good as far as kicks go now in philly, the guy that owns it (former buyer for UBIQ) works for House 33.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump ... can I get some more info on the fit of these dress shirts?

(In case all of the obnoxious bumping hasn't pointed it out, I'm in the market for some new dress shirts).

Do these run true to size or slim? If I take a medium in an H&M Easy-Iron, would I also grab a medium in the Steven Alan? Do they fit a little roomier than the H&M

edit: specifically, I'm looking at a medium in a Steven Alan button-down, reverse seam. Anyone have chest measures?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Bump ... can I get some more info on the fit of these dress shirts?

(In case all of the obnoxious bumping hasn't pointed it out, I'm in the market for some new dress shirts).

Do these run true to size or slim? If I take a medium in an H&M Easy-Iron, would I also grab a medium in the Steven Alan? Do they fit a little roomier than the H&M

edit: specifically, I'm looking at a medium in a Steven Alan button-down, reverse seam. Anyone have chest measures?

They fit about the same as the H&M, I wear the same size in both and fit is similar. If anything they will be slightly looser than the H&M but not so much so that you'd want to size down, they're pretty close in sizing.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen SA shirts up close, and to my untrained eye the quality is pretty fantastic; I really like some of the cool little touches they add (reverse seams, etc.).

However, I just don't throw down that kind of cash on OTR shirts as a matter of principle, and I think anyone complaining about fit is sort of missing the point. No matter how democratic, or universally flattering, or whatver they make their stuff those shirts are only going to look really good on a limited number of builds; if you're one of them, congratulations. If you're not, go check out MC for some recos of online tailors and get a shirt that will be almost as well made and fit just how you want for a little over half the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads