• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailor in ann arbor area?

Kei-bon

Reaction score
wondering if anyone can recommend an alterations tailor in the ann arbor area for fairly straightforward alterations to some jackets. any suggestions much appreciated.

mdg137

Reaction score
Not Ann Arbor proper, but Ive been using Pat Manno of Manno Clothing in Dearborn for going on 3 years.

After some fine tuning, Ive been very happy with the results-- at this point, he knows exactly how I prefer fits, knows my measurements, and things go very smoothly.

I live in Downtown Detroit, and its worth the drive for me, easily.

Shop is maybe 5 minutes from Telegraph and I-94.

PM me for more details!

Kei-bon

Reaction score
thanks for the tip, mdg.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend Shahin Custom Tailoring at 212 S Main St Ann Arbor, MI 48104

He is very fussy. But he knows his stuff.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
thanks for the recommendations, guys. clarinetplayer, i think i know the shop you're talking about. and jchosko, i passed that place the other day. looked promising.

jbharris88

Reaction score
I don't live in AA but have had things done when visiting. Absolutely do NOT go to A-1 Alterations. The worst experience I've ever had. First off the guy can barely speak English, so his nephew had to translate what I wanted (basic sleeve shortening on a suit jacket). When I came to pick up by jacket, all the guy had done was sewn the arm up as if they were a pant hem and put buttons back on. There was no split at the wrist like there is supposed to be and then proceeded to argue that it was supposed to be the way he did it. Dry cleaning quality work.

If I were you I would go to Vahan's. I have heard good things but have not personally tried him.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, jb. i'll check out Vahan's.

expanding the topic a bit, has anyone eaten at Eve restaurant? i'm trying to decide where to eat out this weekend (the other contenders are Logan and Barge). wondering if eve is worth the premium.

rwbenjey

Reaction score
Sophia's Tailoring in the Kmart/Dunham's shopping center on the corner of Stadium and Jackson. I've had her alter numerous jackets and topcoats--including the tricky shoulder alterations--with good results.

jchosko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kei-bon
thanks for the advice, jb. i'll check out Vahan's.

expanding the topic a bit, has anyone eaten at Eve restaurant? i'm trying to decide where to eat out this weekend (the other contenders are Logan and Barge). wondering if eve is worth the premium.

I've not eaten at Eve, but have heard many wonderful things about it. I have however, eaten at Logan, just once, not long after they opened. They may have gotten things a bit more under control since then, but I had the worst tasting Osso Bucco ever there. The preparation literally looked and tasted as if it had just been boiled, and then doused in a sauce that was mostly watered down ketchup. No one I was there with (a party of probably 6 or so) had a good meal. This was probably in 2006-7, so who knows what's gone on since then. If it's still there, the West End Grill is a nice place, as is the Common Grill in Chelsea (very close by)--which was better than any restaurant I've eaten at in Ann Arbor.

What are you going to be doing in Ann Arbor?

Reaction score
I agree with mdg. Manno does a very nice job and I don't think they are overpriced at all. I work in Ann Arbor and have heard good things about Sophia's Tailoring so I'd give them some consideration. Not sure on the pricing but the people I know that have been there were pleased. I also agree on the Common Grill recommendation. Its very good.

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Not A2 but Evans Street Station in Tecumseh is one of the best and hidden gems of a restuarant in our area

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads