• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Pickers

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Anyone else follow this show?

It is always interesting to see what these guys drag out.

They're always over-looking coke stuff that I'd DIE to have.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
Anyone else follow this show? I watch every Monday along with Pawn Stars.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watch the mini marathons they show on sundays I think the guys are pretty cool and know what to look for. You do see some pretty cool ****.

I like Pawn Stars but despise the employees.

*intellect*

Reaction score
yeah i follow both these shows. the pawn stars is hate/love

the stuff that people bring to their store is ridiculous, and the guys that run it are corny/cornier

soxpats

Reaction score
I like the show, its amazing what people keep and how they live. They find some unique items though.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I follow both shows and find it funny that on Pickers someone would rather die with a piece of junk they didn't even know they had then sell it for $50.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy
I follow both shows and find it funny that on Pickers someone would rather die with a piece of junk they didn't even know they had then sell it for $50.

Heh yea. Have they done any picking in NC yet? Would be interesting to see my home state.

The dudes in the pawn shop are annoying but I get a feeling it's mostly just for show since there's a camera. There's no way chumlee can be that god damn brain dead. I saw him make coffee once and there was powder all over the floor.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoy it. I've gotten tired of Pawn Stars and Chumlee's played-up stupidity.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Started watching this show, but the two guys come across as real douchebags...stopped watching.

This.....sort of. The two guys will spend $300+ in gas, lodging, etc. plus hours in time and then smugly brag about finding a Coke sign that they can make a $20 profit on after they fix it up. It's kind of relatable to Bear Grylls' show. Bear will spend two hours and thousands of calories to find three edible fruit up in a twenty-foot tree. It's entertainment, but usually not relative to reality in any way.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watch every episode of Pawn Stars, but I don't regularly watch American Pickers. The difference is Pawn Stars has cool items 100% of the time (buried treasure, nuke keys, rare guns, etc), where as American Pickers is overwhelmingly stuff I'd literally throw in the trash can if I owned. There are some cool things on American Picker, like the old guy who built an underground house for all his junk, but for the most part I have no interest at all in the stuff they buy or the people they talk to.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
This.....sort of. The two guys will spend $300+ in gas, lodging, etc. plus hours in time and then smugly brag about finding a Coke sign that they can make a $20 profit on after they fix it up. It's kind of relatable to Bear Grylls' show. Bear will spend two hours and thousands of calories to find three edible fruit up in a twenty-foot tree. It's entertainment, but usually not relative to reality in any way.

I have a feeling most of the stuff they find isn't on the road, at least not the way they're doing it.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Pawn Stars' predictability....

Appraiser: this item is worth $10,000
Rick: What do you want to do with it, sell it or pawn it?
Schmuck: I'd like to sell it.
Rick: How much do you want?
Schmuck: Well, the guy said $10k, I'll take $10k.
Rick: No. *laughs* I'll give ya $1,500
Schmuck: How about $8,500?
Rick: How about $1,500? *more laughing*
Schmuck: $5,000?
Old Man: $1,000...if you go lower, so do we.
Rick: *laughs*. $1,750 and that's as far as I'll go.
Schmuck: hmmmmmmmmm....alright!
Rick: Chumlee right the man up.

Literally....every. single. time. Yet, i still watch it...

Also, Amercan Pickers is kind of interesting too, but I find the guys mildly douchey as well.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both shows for different reasons. American Pickers is great because you can learn a little if you're interest in old junk (which I am). You can find some tips on what to look for, or what to pass over. Not that I would ever try to make a living at this, but I do enjoy looking at old junk.

Pawn Stars is just great for all the weird stuff they come across. It's much better for the novelty of the items.

Originally Posted by Jokerman
I like Pawn Stars but despise the employees.

Plus effing 1.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sensing some pretty strong sexual tension between the Pickers dudes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads