or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › motorcycle jackets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

motorcycle jackets?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
something like this...
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...827cat14810731

what do you guys think?

i thought it looked awesome when ronaldo wore one thats similar to this in the nike - write the future advert when he was at the 'ronaldo stadium' ceremony...
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post
something like this... http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...827cat14810731 what do you guys think? i thought it looked awesome when ronaldo wore one thats similar to this in the nike - write the future advert when he was at the 'ronaldo stadium' ceremony...
It looks nice but don't go near a motorcycle on it. I got a Schott Perfecto 21 years ago and still wear it to this day but I do have a motorcycle too.
post #3 of 27
me likey.
post #4 of 27
Not a fan. I would get a Schott or Barbour International instead.
post #5 of 27
As an actual motorcycle jacket, I wouldn't wear it if I wanted to keep my skin. As a fashion item --- it looks shiny and cheap, so it's perfect.
post #6 of 27
Looks like garbage. Twelve hundred dollars for imported crap? WTF?
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
Looks like garbage. Twelve hundred dollars for imported crap? WTF?

Yes because only americans make good clothes, all those well-dressed italian men are buying Brooks on the down-low.


Jacket is bad not because it's not motorcycle-worthy (which no attractive leather jacket is), not because it's shiny (which is easy to get rid of with wear or hand-washing), but because it's single-zip. It will be uncomfortable to zip up all the way, and it probably won't have a waist.

That said, we're all just judging from Internet pics which won't tell us anything at all. Try it on and take a picture. A leather jacket is one of those items you don't want to buy sight unseen. Black leather is also really hard on a lot of complexions, we'd need to look at you as much as the jacket.
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot View Post
Yes because only americans make good clothes, all those well-dressed italian men are buying Brooks on the down-low.


Jacket is bad not because it's not motorcycle-worthy (which no attractive leather jacket is), not because it's shiny (which is easy to get rid of with wear or hand-washing), but because it's single-zip. It will be uncomfortable to zip up all the way, and it probably won't have a waist.

That said, we're all just judging from Internet pics which won't tell us anything at all. Try it on and take a picture. A leather jacket is one of those items you don't want to buy sight unseen. Black leather is also really hard on a lot of complexions, we'd need to look at you as much as the jacket.

i actually tried on a size 42 ( Large? ) at neimans the other day, i think it fit really well just the sleeves were too long. I usually go size S for clothes, but i think this one i should go size 40 ( medium? ). The quality is exceptional, obviously its not meant for riding but for wearing it out and looking cool. Yeah, it is single zip but in my opinion, it is just designed for half zip, or worn open zip (like how the model portrayed it in the picture). Ronaldo usually sport those leather jackets whether its bombers or motorcycle-esque ones. If you google him it usually comes up.





This forum puts price in perspective of EVERYTHING. When the piece is off season and on sale it wont have my size anymore. On stuff that usually will be available on sale, then obviously i shop smart but if there is something that I really like and i know it wont be there when the sale comes then i pay full price no problem.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot View Post
Yes because only americans make good clothes, all those well-dressed italian men are buying Brooks on the down-low.


Anytime a product is from Italy or England or somewhere in the first world it says so. "Imported" is invariably code for China or India or Bangladesh or some other hell hole.
post #10 of 27
Case in point - Look at this Valentino jacket - http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat11940745 It says "Made in Italy of imported material." Or look at this Gucci jacket - http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat11940745 It says "Made in Switzerland." When things are made by adults in the first world these retailers are proud to say so. It's only when the stuff is made somewhere without clean water that they use the catch all "imported".
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
Case in point -

Look at this Valentino jacket -

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat11940745

It says "Made in Italy of imported material."

Or look at this Gucci jacket -

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat11940745

It says "Made in Switzerland."

When things are made by adults in the first world these retailers are proud to say so. It's only when the stuff is made somewhere without clean water that they use the catch all "imported".

true but look at it this way.
for example - that gucci dinner jacket is $2000 in wool. made by a swiss man. the D&G leather jacket is $1200 in lamb skin leather thats soft like a baby's ass. made by a china man.
if you have the same material for the leather jacket, made by a swiss man - it'd be like $3500 or $4000 probably...
Is the china man's workmanship under D&G quality control going to be significantly less than a swiss man? i'd say no with reasonable standard deviation
post #12 of 27
in my opinion high fashion has no place in the world of leather motorcycle jackets. It's 100% function over form, utility and durability are what count not a fancy label from a marketing-driven fashion house.

Check out Fox Creek Leather:

www.foxcreekleather.com

Aero Leather:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/w...bcats&catid=36

Vanson Leathers:

http://www.vansonleathers.com/

Or the classic Schott or Brooks models.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post
true but look at it this way. for example - that gucci dinner jacket is $2000 in wool. made by a swiss man. the D&G leather jacket is $1200 in lamb skin leather thats soft like a baby's ass. made by a china man. if you have the same material for the leather jacket, made by a swiss man - it'd be like $3500 or $4000 probably... Is the china man's workmanship under D&G quality control going to be significantly less than a swiss man? i'd say no with reasonable standard deviation
Even if quality would be the same regardless of manufacturer there is still a reason to choose the Swiss man over the Chinese child; the Swiss man is working voluntarily in a room with windows and can step out for a delicious mocha-coffee once every four hours.* Also, Switzerland is not an abusive Communist regime to which our nation owes untold billions of dollars. However, I disagree with your contention that the workmanship is the same. It has been my experience, even with something as simple as Brooks Brothers dress shirts, that those items made overseas are of significantly lower quality than those made in the USA or England. I admit, I do not have a first world D&G item to compare with a third world D&G item, but I would be surprised if the quality is on the same level. *On a side note, I was last in Switzerland in the summer of 2001 and had just such a beverage there in the Bernese Alps and it was just about the most perfect thing I've ever tasted that didn't have alcohol in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
in my opinion high fashion has no place in the world of leather motorcycle jackets. It's 100% function over form, utility and durability are what count not a fancy label from a marketing-driven fashion house. Check out Fox Creek Leather: www.foxcreekleather.com
Agreed. And also note that Fox Creek Leather is predominately made in the USA. Just sayin'.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
in my opinion high fashion has no place in the world of leather motorcycle jackets. It's 100% function over form, utility and durability are what count not a fancy label from a marketing-driven fashion house.

Why? OP is not going to be riding a motorcycle in this jacket. Fashion houses found a pattern they liked and made some jackets that looked better than what was available; a Louis Vuitton moto will keep you just as warm as a Fox Creek moto.

Even a Schott Perfecto isn't "100% function over form" - what about those epaulets?

harvey birdman - just because it isn't made in the first world (which is a political distinction from the Cold War, only vaguely applicable to what we're talking about) doesn't mean it's the product of sweatshop labor. There are artisan textile mills and artisan laborers in China, Japan, and Korea, just as there are hacks and con artists throughout the first world. Really, "Made in Italy" doesn't mean "made in Italy"; it just means that some part of production (2 of the 4 stages of production, I think) took place in Italy. I agree with you about avoiding the support of sweatshop labor, but I don't think it can be judged entirely from a label.

Also - the downside of buying "made in the USA" is it's generally sized for the "average American" - we elves of SW&D are out of luck.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot View Post
Also - the downside of buying "made in the USA" is it's generally sized for the "average American" - we elves of SW&D are out of luck.

This is true. But the rest of the world is catching up, and I have had great luck with my local tailor fixing and altering OTR items.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › motorcycle jackets?