• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Dog - Changed Perspective

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the duration of my life, I've found dogs to be boring. My family never owned a dog when I was growing up and the only dogs I came into contact with were those of friends. Dogs always seemed like a crapshoot - some friendly, some that like to bite, some that growl a lot, and many that were annoying. I never really had a desire to buy a dog.

My wife and I recently bought a dog - a toy poodle. This was a first for me. The first two nights, this 8 week old puppy cried all night while in her crate. I felt as if we had made a grave mistake. The dog provided some amusement but a lot of stress. I saw the dog as an annoyance. After the dog stopped crying all night and after it learned to hold its pee until we went outside, my perspective completely changed.

I now feel a bond to this dog. We left the pup with friends this weekend while we went out of town and I missed it all weekend. I already recognize its personality and am very attached to it. I honestly never understood how some people professed to "love" their dog. Movies where dogs died never made me feel sad at all. Now I am a changed man. This little poodle has won me over.

Are there any other late-in-life first-time dog owners?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Movies where dogs died never made me feel sad at all. Now I am a changed man. This little poodle has won me over.
When she's a little older the two of you can share a good cry watching Old Yeller. lefty

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf brought a doxie into my life. I love that little squiggle.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, me. I was never really all that opposed to animals; I got why people wanted them, but I never had a desire for one myself. I didn't grow up with pets. I travel a lot, typically for extended periods of time. I liked going straight from work to happy hour. I liked the freedom of being able to get away for a weekend on the spur of the moment.

My (live-in) GF decided she was getting a dog. Worse - a Yorkie. I was strongly against it. At least they're hypoallergenic, I thought. Within hours of that puppy arriving, I was on the floor with him, calling to him like an idiot, and rolling with laughter as he would run at me and crash into my face with glee.

When she said she wanted another, it was a no-brainer.

I did decide enough was enough when we found out our litter was six dogs, and we had to practically beg, borrow, and steal to get them all into good homes (we weren't interested in selling) and that doesn't even count the related animal hospital stay and Yorkie C-Section.

Still, today we have four and I can't imagine life without them. I love the little *****. They all have distinct personalities, all are fantastic with the baby, and they're generally just a great time.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we need to post pictures of our dogs. Here is my little squiggle So photogenic
38156_511247728580_28900667_30464846_5804615_n.jpg
38156_511247733570_28900667_30464847_5318686_n.jpg
36473_511006951100_28900667_30455142_7973649_n.jpg
She brings so much energy & personality to our place. Growing up we never had pets and I had been chased by dogs a few times so I wasn't fond of them. But I have really grown to love this dog. I too look forward to the day we have a home w/a yard and the opportunity to possibly raise a litter.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week a friend of mine was looking after a Chocolate Labrador and I took it out a couple of times. I hate big dogs, and the country and the rain. After walking in the woods in the drizzle for 4 hours with a big wet dog, I can honestly say that one day I will live in the country and have a big dog.

I wont let the ****** live in the house, they smell too much, make a mess and knock **** over, but I would give it a kennel in the garden.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I honestly never understood how some people professed to "love" their dog. Movies where dogs died never made me feel sad at all. Now I am a changed man. This little poodle has won me over.

my brother was like this. My family got a Yorkie, and he was resistent every step of the way, even a few weeks after buying it.

we felt bad when our work/school schedules (i was in HS at the time) meant he would be home alone with her the most (and thus taking the most care of her) - but it made him that "changed" guy. He became her favorite person to play with and he always obliges whenever she brings one of her toys to him. It's amazing what can happen.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I wont let the ****** live in the house, they smell too much, make a mess and knock **** over,

eh, dogs only smell like wet dog if they go in the rain. And a well trained dog shouldn't make any mess of any sorts - I know far more effort is needed to clean up after my dinner compared to my dog's. And they don't knock **** over, either, unless perhaps they're in a brand new environment where they don't know where everything is

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't imagine being without a dog. The one I have now, as well as the previous ones, have added lots of value to my life.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Glad to hear the conversion to doggy love.
wink.gif

I love dogs but just do not have time for one right now. Had both dogs and cats growing up and looking forward to another dog in my old age.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I have two Apricot standard poodles. I also never really liked dogs before, and to me, most dogs still suck. I think I'd be hard pressed now to ever get something besides a poodle. They are incredibly intelligent, don't shed, don't slobber, don't smell, don't bark. What's not to love?

If you like your toy poodle I think you'd be blown away by a standard. Also, you could make lots of mini-me jokes.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a year+, my mom still does not like my dog. Don't think she's coming around.
confused.gif

Couple of weeks ago I was working late so my dad grabbed the dog and took her over to his house. I got there around 11:30 and noticed the dog had a new leash as dad had not been paying attention and she chewed through the old one (this only happens under his watch). As I was checking out the new leash I noticed the dog was no longer in front of me...almost immediately I heard her flying up the stairs, at which point she proceeded to enter their room and jump over my dad into the middle of the bed. This did not end well for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads