or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Your selection of must-read novels
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your selection of must-read novels - Page 2

post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevester1 View Post
All quiet on the western front

+1

Also A Time to Love and A Time to Die, profoundly sad ending but a beautiful read.
post #17 of 59
Gatsby?
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
+1

Also A Time to Love and A Time to Die, profoundly sad ending but a beautiful read.

Same genre?
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
Gatsby?

All time high school great besides Catcher In The Rye. But let's not go there.

The Postman
The Alchemist (novella I suppose)
Gary Paulson books are sweet
The House of The Scorpion
Anything from John Grisham or Michael Crichton
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevester1 View Post
Same genre?

Pretty much a story of a German soldier during WWII. He finds romance, etc. Don't want to ruin the plot too much but it is very much along the line of Remarque's other works.
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
Pretty much a story of a German soldier during WWII. He finds romance, etc. Don't want to ruin the plot too much but it is very much along the line of Remarque's other works.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll read it once I'm done with the wealth of nations (which I might vote to be on this list... only a few hundred pages from the end)
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevester1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll read it once I'm done with the wealth of nations (which I might vote to be on this list... only a few hundred pages from the end)

Depending on how you get your books (I use the public library) it may be a bit difficult to find, I had to request it from another library system. Still worth the read.
post #23 of 59
Great thread. My reading list continues to grow.
post #24 of 59
Mosquito Coast
The Beach
Beaufort
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman View Post
Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace.

+1, his essays are better but IJ is a great novel.

Lonesome Dove
100 Years of Solitude
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot View Post
+1, his essays are better but IJ is a great novel.

Lonesome Dove
100 Years of Solitude

Did you actually like 100 Years of Solitude? I absolutely hated it...
post #27 of 59
None. I don't think there's any literature that's an absolute necessity for all people.

For great under-sung writing:
Georges Simenon's noir - Dirty Snow, et al.
Tim O'Brien's Vietnam novels and stories (particularly The Things They Carried)
Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me (how they made it into a film, I don't know)
post #28 of 59
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
Big Sur by Jack Kerouac
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
post #29 of 59
Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
Heart of Darkness and The Nigger of the Narcissus by Joseph Conrad
Blood Meridian and Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
Casino Royale
by Ian Fleming
The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux
The Stand by Stephen King
Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore
Catch-22 by Heller

This will give you a good, well-rounded perspective on life.
post #30 of 59
Notes from Underground
Invisible Man
Samson Agonistes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Your selection of must-read novels