• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear my Tom Ford suit to work?

Buck Rogers

Reaction score
I just bought a new Tom Ford suit from Bergdorf Goodman and I am wondering if I can pull it off at work.

I work for a private equity firm in Boston, which is a decently conservative atmosphere, albeit one in which folks tolerate a little flair (but not too much...).

The suit is a plain navy blue, but obviously very modern cut with somewhat wide peak lapels and a high pocket that actually slopes up (a Tom Ford signature, but also the thing that makes it the most potentially inappropriate for work...).

I would obviously tone down the accouterments at work, shirt, tie, etc., but I am still on the bubble - any thoughts?

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really dont understand the fear/concern people have in dressing too liberally in a conservative environment. Maybe its because i've not yet faced it in my career ... but my personal advice would be to wear what you want to wear ... and if it becomes an issue - learn from it.

Do other people dress pretty liberally?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear peaks to work quite a lot. I've never really thought of them as an "occasion" suit.

bbhewee

Reaction score
I don't see the problem. Just wear it. People will know something's different but won't be able ton point to it. Enough of a difference without standing out blatantly.

heaven7

Reaction score
It's a suit, most people won't even give it second look.
I wear peak lapels to work pretty often.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're asking us what you should wear to work?

The same us who have no idea of your workplace?

Want us to sign your pay cheque to?

There must be somebody at work with a clue.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
Why not?
Personal choice in my own work environment mostly since I'm pretty conservative and the peak lapel to me seems to invoke a hint of flash that should be reserved for more public occasions like meeting clients outside or events. For guys who's work involves clients regularly, I think that's totally fine to weak peak lapels. It's just not what I personally do frequently.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

No need to be an a.s.s - he said he works in a private equity firm in Boston ... that is good enough information about how conservative of a workplace it is.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder where all the pent-up aggression comes from at certain times on this forum
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Nicola

Reaction score
I always have the same concern. Does dressing conservatively really mean being boring and cheap?!??

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers
I just bought a new Tom Ford suit from Bergdorf Goodman and I am wondering if I can pull it off at work.

I work for a private equity firm in Boston, which is a decently conservative atmosphere, albeit one in which folks tolerate a little flair (but not too much...).

The suit is a plain navy blue, but obviously very modern cut with somewhat wide peak lapels and a high pocket that actually slopes up (a Tom Ford signature, but also the thing that makes it the most potentially inappropriate for work...).

I would obviously tone down the accouterments at work, shirt, tie, etc., but I am still on the bubble - any thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads