or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Thinking of trying Intermittent Fasting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of trying Intermittent Fasting. - Page 2

post #16 of 48
one of the keys to successful fasting is to learn how to condition yourself to , if not enjoy, but to be able to tolerate and be peace with, the feeling of hunger pangs.

i for so long had the immediate knee jerk reaction to hunger pangs as something that i need to take care of immediately. i didnt like the feeling , i felt a rash of urgency and needed to quell it.

but later i discovered that you can slowly induce that hunger pang to a feeling of a sort of euphoria (under control).
keeping and sustaining it over a period of a day is an accomplishment and i encourage a fasting once in awhile.
post #17 of 48
Thread Starter 
TrH, did you do the carb-refeeds on workout days like he outlines there?

Damn that seems like a good plan on that link.

Day 1 starts today.
post #18 of 48
For a while I kept re-reading the thread title as Thinking of trying Intermittent Fapping and was wondering why half the posts mentioned carbs. This post made sense though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
one of the keys to successful fapping is to learn how to condition yourself to , if not enjoy, but to be able to tolerate and be peace with, the feeling of hunger pangs. i for so long had the immediate knee jerk reaction to hunger pangs as something that i need to take care of immediately. i didnt like the feeling , i felt a rash of urgency and needed to quell it. but later i discovered that you can slowly induce that hunger pang to a feeling of a sort of euphoria (under control). keeping and sustaining it over a period of a day is an accomplishment and i encourage a fapping once in awhile.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedstyle View Post
TrH, did you do the carb-refeeds on workout days like he outlines there?

Damn that seems like a good plan on that link.

Day 1 starts today.

Usually my carb intake was a bit higher on lifting days, but not nearly at refeed-levels (think 14g carbs per lb of LBM for refeed). It was really a happy accident for me also, stumbling onto IF, but I didn't follow the protocol to a tee, I kind of modified it to fit my diet and schedule.

The best part, definitely, was the fact that one gets to eat decent size meals after lifting...

The site has loads and loads of very useful information for setting up the diet... what I like about his blog is the lack of broscience, which seems to fill every corner of most fitness/bb boards.
post #20 of 48
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input TrH;

I've been implementing the IF methods for the past two days. Was a bit weird to get used to the first day, 2nd a bit easier and so far today it's been fine.

I notice - I am actually not hungry.

I'm looking forward to a big meal after a workout tonight!
post #21 of 48
I'm not a hardcore fitness guy like many here but I've been doing intermittent fasting since January and at my max, dropped 30 lbs. This was WITHOUT exercise. Cleaning up the diet and changing the timing of eating certainly helped. I've since gained a few pounds back but I just started barefoot running and have been keeping up with it so I've been able to maintain my weight for the most part. I imagine that IF with real training would help me drop even more weight (bodyfat).

So for those that are lifting weights as well as considering IF, definitely do it. In the beginning you may feel hungry and lifting on an empty stomach might not make you feel good. But the body adapts and I cal do a full weight lifting workout or run till I can't, on a completely empty stomach with mostly depleted glycogen stores. Your body adapts and from personal experience I felt that IF even gave a boost to metabolism. I typically just eat at the end of the day and will eat 2 dinners, spaced 4-6 hours apart, depending on how I feel. I don't adhere to any type of IF protocol that others may preach about, I just do what feels good for me and the results naturally came.
post #22 of 48
Thread Starter 
So, after about a week now of doing this, I don't get hungry in the mornings or anything anymore. I've started eating at 3pm now.

The large post workout meals are great haha.
post #23 of 48
IF is pretty fun.. It fits my lifestye rather naturally, so I like it and stick to it 95% of the time.. Basically I usually eat 2 meals, lunch and dinner. Never really feel hungry. I often work out fasted as well, and do just fine.
post #24 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeur View Post
IF is pretty fun.. It fits my lifestye rather naturally, so I like it and stick to it 95% of the time.. Basically I usually eat 2 meals, lunch and dinner. Never really feel hungry. I often work out fasted as well, and do just fine.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing.

BCAA's before training.... A big post workout meal, maybe a snack a bit later then a meal before bed!

It's great! Training hasn't suffered at all.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedstyle View Post
Yeah, this is what I've been doing.

BCAA's before training.... A big post workout meal, maybe a snack a bit later then a meal before bed!

It's great! Training hasn't suffered at all.

Nice for you. I've been doing IF based on the leangains approach for about 8 weeks. I've dropped 5 pounds without any cardio and am at an ideal weight. I'm on a 5X5 program, squatting a little over my body weight and benching a little under it. I train fasted at 6am, and eat between noon and 8pm. If I added cardio and ate more protein I would probably drop another 5 lbs which would take me to about 10% bf.
post #26 of 48
ive fasted on thursday.

and i started another fast yesterday/sunday and up to today. but i think i am going to eat a light dinner though.
post #27 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
Nice for you. I've been doing IF based on the leangains approach for about 8 weeks. I've dropped 5 pounds without any cardio and am at an ideal weight. I'm on a 5X5 program, squatting a little over my body weight and benching a little under it. I train fasted at 6am, and eat between noon and 8pm. If I added cardio and ate more protein I would probably drop another 5 lbs which would take me to about 10% bf.
Yep, I've been seeing the scale go down with no cardio too! Haven't felt hungry yet. Veggies and protein heavy meals are a godsend.
So do you do the BCAA thing as said on the site for early morning training?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
ive fasted on thursday.

and i started another fast yesterday/sunday and up to today. but i think i am going to eat a light dinner though.
You don't fast for that long with this protocol.
At least it's not explicitly mentioned like that at all on the site...?
post #28 of 48
ok thanks. sorry, i just started reading up on intermittent fasting this weekend. i thought 'intermittent fasting' was just your title on this mentioning that you wanted to fast sometimes. intermittently.
now i know it is an actual fasting strategy.

im going to look into it and start my own IF some day. right now i am on a traditional fast for 8 days. see how it goes...then later i will work IF into it.
post #29 of 48
Hey dudes.

Been doing Leangains for a few weeks and really like that I dont have to spend my entire day worrying about food, BUT my digestion has come to a halt even though I am getting plenty of fiber (beans, broccoli, oats, sweet potato) and drinking a lot of water.

Anyone else experience this? If so how did you deal with it?
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
Hey dudes.

Been doing Leangains for a few weeks and really like that I dont have to spend my entire day worrying about food, BUT my digestion has come to a halt even though I am getting plenty of fiber (beans, broccoli, oats, sweet potato) and drinking a lot of water.

Anyone else experience this? If so how did you deal with it?

Give some probiotics a try and it should help with your digestion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Thinking of trying Intermittent Fasting.