• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lululemon Athletica - Their workout clothes any good?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was talking to a yoga/pilates trainer acquaintance of mine today and she was telling me about spending $600 at Lululemon. I proceeded to tell her that she was out of her ******* mind but she countered that the clothes are amazing and they've got a 5 year warranty. Can any of you guys speak to their quality or effectiveness? If they're really that good at absorbing sweat then I'd consider plunking down $50 on a shirt.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think she's insane myself, but I say this after having plunked down a couple hundred at the Puma store on running/soccer shirts myself.

Put it this way: when I'm wearing garishly-colored gear with the big PUMA logo on it, there's no way in hell I'll let myself be passed by a soccer mom walking her Pekingese.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I was talking to a yoga/pilates trainer acquaintance of mine today and she was telling me about spending $600 at Lululemon. I proceeded to tell her that she was out of her ******* mind but she countered that the clothes are amazing and they've got a 5 year warranty. Can any of you guys speak to their quality or effectiveness? If they're really that good at absorbing sweat then I'd consider plunking down $50 on a shirt.

its a slippery slope. like the guy who wears a $70 singlet, $50 shorts, and $130 shoes and runs only a mile on the weekend. you get sucked up into buying things. workout clothes get beat up and will breakdown regardless.

there are always, always cheap simple alternatives when it comes to workout clothes. like champion, nike.com clearance items, ect.

i'm not saying that the high quality stuff isn't worth it, but think about the regular clothes and shoes and gadgets you could by with the savings.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
I guess there are 2 questions here - is Lululemon worth the price, and should soneone spend descent coin on workoput gear.

I can't speak about the quality of Lululemon myself, though my girlfriend wears te stuff and swears by it. From what I can tell it's high quality and is flattering and stylish.

As for workout gear in general - as Lawrence said, it depends on how much you work out. I spend descent money on my shoes and gear but I run 30-50 miles a week, and can tell the difference between a good pair of nike running shorts (that cost me $26) vs. a pair I could buy at target.

The bigger question is, how often do you workout, and how much of your income do you feel is reasonable to spend on it?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ my wife wears the lululemon stuff too. but i think its a market directed at having functional clothes that look good for working out. kind of a simple premise, but still something, especially women, will pay a steep premium for. the question is... will normal guys end up doing this?

another thing is to think about the inherent amount of washing these clothes will go through and the type of care they need. the last thing i want is to pay $150 for a pilates outfit (consisting of just a top and bottom) and need to separate and wash them in cold water special detergent ect - and have to waste extra time, energy, and resources it its care.

i do love the fact that women care what they look like in the gym though...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lululemon is singlehandedly the best thing to happen to women's fashion in the past 10 years.

Women getting comfortable showing off their ass in yoga pants has led to them wearing leggings at every opportunity possible and I'm so not mad at that.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shorts and pants are good but the tops seem over priced.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Lululemon is singlehandedly the best thing to happen to women's fashion in the past 10 years.

Women getting comfortable showing off their ass in yoga pants has led to them wearing leggings at every opportunity possible and I'm so not mad at that.

this is the reason i purposely schedule my pilates classes/sessions separate from my wife... so i can oogle at my trainer and the other women - whom are dressed smartly and sexily usually in luluemon.

Beetleything

Reaction score
there was another thread abut this over priced shite awhile ago....

.....most chicks that wear it have VERY fat asses.......that i've seen.

Is it worth the money - NO.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of shirts, a pair of shorts, and a pair of pants.

I don't see the difference between them and my other workout clothes (UA, etc.).

The shirt material is quite thin, which helps me cool down. The shorts fit well but are kind of baggy. The designs are also kind of gaudy, which attracts unwanted attention.

Are they worth the price? Hell no. But this is SF, where people spend more on clothing.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend, being Canadian, absolutely swears by the stuff. The women in her family have no problem dropping the cash for it. I attribute most of it to the Made in Canada part of it and then them seeing that every woman at their gym has the exact same pants. My girlfriend has gotten several years of wear out of all of her Lulu stuff. Ridiculous colors and crazy styling aside, I believe they do make some quality stuff, but i'm not the type to spend a hunk of change on workout gear.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my wife swears by it too. so i got curious and picked up a couple of pairs of sweatpants and some running shorts. it is pretty damn comfortable and the material does feel like it's extremely high quality. i havent had a chance to test its moisture wicking capabilities but they hold up pretty well for free weight sessions at the gym.

of course, i have the good fortune of being fairly close to a Lululemon outlet where i can get them at super deep discount (paid like $20-30 per piece). added bonus - the salesgirls seem to be encouraged to wear as little as possible, and the a/c is turned up full blast for maximum nipplage.....profit!!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Isn't this brand only for women?

yes, but you can find pieces that will fit. like capris and some of their more baggy longer shorts...

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend on something that won't be fashionable in a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads