or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread - Page 52

post #766 of 3284
Emma, thanks for the responses to personal order problems. I do applaud you for addressing concerns and questions about your company. I do have one suggestion myself. You have a 21 day guarantee in the FAQ's section of your website. Yet when that guarantee is not fulfilled, your solution is only to offer a 10% coupon for the next order. I think it is misleading to post a guarantee that is basically meaningless (considering you just posted how to get a 20% voucher). Maybe you should change your policy or describe what comes with the guarantee, because otherwise, it is very misleading.
post #767 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
Being made in Asia (China, Thailand, etc.) does not at all diminish quality by itself. It is the owner/operator who decides on how to market/manufacture. Even with such cheap labor rates there is no reason to pass all the savings on to you. The owners maximize their profits by pricing according to what "seems" cheap or reasonable to the American/British market. However the quality of the fabric, which greatly diminishes cost, is rather poor. The fact that they speak of numbers like 140's or 150's means nothing as in fabric manufacture it is the "finishing" of the cloth that makes a big difference. These are not fabrics from a well known Italian of English mill.

As far as MTM is concerned, here again you must realize that while they should fit better (and to some extent they do (especially if you are a really odd shape) they are not necessarily a quality MTM. Most low budget MTMs use your measurements only to re-size (to a lesser or greater extent) the actual pattern cutting. Again, it is a matter of being detailed and careful about cutting. That is why you read so many posts about people having sent their exact measurements and still, upon receiving the garment, it doesn't really fit well all over. When you order an MTM (or Bespoke) suit from Hickey-Freeman, or Oxxford, or Zegna, your suit will fit exactly the first time. But you pay for this a premium.

Some Asian MTMs will allow your to upgrade fabric to known name brands for about another $400. Also you can pay a smaller charge for a real full canvas interlining. Or other small details. Unfortunately, quality of tailoring is something you must experience to know.

Actually, high quality off-the-rack suits can be so well made that most people need do little more than spend $100 (or less) for a good local tailor to make it just right. And by high quality I do not mean $5000 suits. But well-established brands, such as I mentioned above (as well as many others) do use real quality fabrics to construct their products. And that is reflected in their retail price. Looking for a "name brand" discount website allows one to benefit from the superior fabric and fit while still paying little more than some MTMs.

As far as problems with service (replies, time to make/ship etc.) well, read the posts. Any particular MTM that is mentioned too often is a real red flag for me.

Remember, everybody is in business to make the most money possible. And you generally can't blame them for that. Just be careful. And ask questions.

You need to stop talking, n00b!
post #768 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachboy View Post
Why'd you quote me on that? I didn't say anything derogatory about Asian MTM. I was an Ascot Chang customer for years, and I doubt anybody would say their goods are shabby.

Somehow I hit multiquote... apologies. Obviously my post wasn't directed at you.
post #769 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
Being made in Asia (China, Thailand, etc.) does not at all diminish quality by itself. It is the owner/operator who decides on how to market/manufacture. Even with such cheap labor rates there is no reason to pass all the savings on to you. The owners maximize their profits by pricing according to what "seems" cheap or reasonable to the American/British market. However the quality of the fabric, which greatly diminishes cost, is rather poor. The fact that they speak of numbers like 140's or 150's means nothing as in fabric manufacture it is the "finishing" of the cloth that makes a big difference. These are not fabrics from a well known Italian of English mill.

As far as MTM is concerned, here again you must realize that while they should fit better (and to some extent they do (especially if you are a really odd shape) they are not necessarily a quality MTM. Most low budget MTMs use your measurements only to re-size (to a lesser or greater extent) the actual pattern cutting. Again, it is a matter of being detailed and careful about cutting. That is why you read so many posts about people having sent their exact measurements and still, upon receiving the garment, it doesn't really fit well all over. When you order an MTM (or Bespoke) suit from Hickey-Freeman, or Oxxford, or Zegna, your suit will fit exactly the first time. But you pay for this a premium.

Some Asian MTMs will allow your to upgrade fabric to known name brands for about another $400. Also you can pay a smaller charge for a real full canvas interlining. Or other small details. Unfortunately, quality of tailoring is something you must experience to know.

Actually, high quality off-the-rack suits can be so well made that most people need do little more than spend $100 (or less) for a good local tailor to make it just right. And by high quality I do not mean $5000 suits. But well-established brands, such as I mentioned above (as well as many others) do use real quality fabrics to construct their products. And that is reflected in their retail price. Looking for a "name brand" discount website allows one to benefit from the superior fabric and fit while still paying little more than some MTMs.

As far as problems with service (replies, time to make/ship etc.) well, read the posts. Any particular MTM that is mentioned too often is a real red flag for me.

Remember, everybody is in business to make the most money possible. And you generally can't blame them for that. Just be careful. And ask questions.
So some operators don't make stuff as nice as others? Isn't that the reason we have posts like this one to find out which businesses are or are not meeting our needs?
Really? Even businesses in China are trying to make profits? Enlightening.
The fabric is poor? Their Alumo, Testa, Sea Island and Thomas Mason fabrics are poor? Your standards must be really high. Or do you mean their wealth of $49-$79 fabrics? Those aren't the best? Dammit I've been swindled...

If you don't think MTM shirts fit better than OTR shirts you are a moron.
MT doesn't just resize the shirts. They make them to the measurements you input. You have obviously not ordered from them or have not been around here long enough to know that. You are spouting generalities about worst case scenarios.
Really, your MTM suit fits exactly right the first time from HF, Zenga or Oxxford? What world do you live in?

OMFG, they charge more for nicer fabrics? Say it isn't so.

Go ahead and buy that OTR suit, if you like looking like every other sack wearing slob in the office. So, they use better fabrics and charge more, but you lambast Asian MTM for using lesser fabrics (if that is the price point you choose to purchase) and charging less? What exactly is your argument again?

I'm sure HF or Zenga will deliver your suit to your front door with a tailor in 2 weeks and they never have delays...

Thanks for the business lesson Captain Obvious. Asking questions and having them answered is exactly what this thread is doing.
post #770 of 3284
Hello everyone!

Do you recommend soft or common stiffness collars for Modern Tailor button-down shirts?
post #771 of 3284
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny123 View Post
Emma, thanks for the responses to personal order problems. I do applaud you for addressing concerns and questions about your company.

I do have one suggestion myself. You have a 21 day guarantee in the FAQ's section of your website. Yet when that guarantee is not fulfilled, your solution is only to offer a 10% coupon for the next order. I think it is misleading to post a guarantee that is basically meaningless (considering you just posted how to get a 20% voucher). Maybe you should change your policy or describe what comes with the guarantee, because otherwise, it is very misleading.

---
Thanks Johnny. Let me take this opportunity to explain:
21 business day guarantee - this is our guarantee. We don't intend to go over this guarantee. Because before peak periods (xmas and sales), our average production was 7 business days only (+ plus shipping time). We commit to delivering orders within 21 business days - for any reason it's not meant, we will compensate accordingly.

20% voucher for facebook is a separate voucher we give away, and it's only a 1 time offer per customer.

E
post #772 of 3284
Thread Starter 
Dec 8 to Dec 15th - Moderntailor is shouldering shipping (EMS) for all orders more than $150. This is just one of the promotions we will launch for our customers this December. Would like to thank everyone for their support and suggestions.

Regards,
E
post #773 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderntailoremma View Post
---
Thanks Johnny. Let me take this opportunity to explain:
21 business day guarantee - this is our guarantee. We don't intend to go over this guarantee. Because before peak periods (xmas and sales), our average production was 7 business days only (+ plus shipping time). We commit to delivering orders within 21 business days - for any reason it's not meant, we will compensate accordingly.

20% voucher for facebook is a separate voucher we give away, and it's only a 1 time offer per customer.

E

Emma, how about you update the FAQ on your website and clearly state what happens if you cannot deliver within 21 business days. Also clearly state that the 10% coupons cannot be combined with other coupons. Or perhaps an even better solution would be to allow combining of those coupons so that you don't rip off your customers who want to use your 20% Facebook voucher.
post #774 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by imwithtuxedo View Post
So some operators don't make stuff as nice as others? Isn't that the reason we have posts like this one to find out which businesses are or are not meeting our needs?
Really? Even businesses in China are trying to make profits? Enlightening.
The fabric is poor? Their Alumo, Testa, Sea Island and Thomas Mason fabrics are poor? Your standards must be really high. Or do you mean their wealth of $49-$79 fabrics? Those aren't the best? Dammit I've been swindled...

If you don't think MTM shirts fit better than OTR shirts you are a moron.
MT doesn't just resize the shirts. They make them to the measurements you input. You have obviously not ordered from them or have not been around here long enough to know that. You are spouting generalities about worst case scenarios.
Really, your MTM suit fits exactly right the first time from HF, Zenga or Oxxford? What world do you live in?

OMFG, they charge more for nicer fabrics? Say it isn't so.

Go ahead and buy that OTR suit, if you like looking like every other sack wearing slob in the office. So, they use better fabrics and charge more, but you lambast Asian MTM for using lesser fabrics (if that is the price point you choose to purchase) and charging less? What exactly is your argument again?

I'm sure HF or Zenga will deliver your suit to your front door with a tailor in 2 weeks and they never have delays...

Thanks for the business lesson Captain Obvious. Asking questions and having them answered is exactly what this thread is doing.

I agree with much of what you have said, however, I do think you misunderstood two of his points. 1) When he is talking about fabrics, I don't believe he is talking about shirt fabrics, but rather suit fabrics. When MT ran the 2 for 1 special on suits, they didn't include their nicer fabrics, and I'm not convinced that even their nicer fabrics are quality fabrics, at least they don't provide much information on them. Thus, if you order the suits, you are stuck with the lower quality fabrics. You don't have a choice.

2) In addition, I think he is correct when he mentions the resizing issue. Again, I believe he is referring to suits, and you are referring to shirts. My guess is MT does exactly as he said with the suits; that is they have a standard patten and they simply alter it for your measurements. This certainly can be better than an OTR suit, but it could also be worse, depending upon the skill and precision of the workers. Without a fitting or two, you could really come out of this much worse than OTR.

As to your comments regarding Asian manufacturing, shirt fabrics, profits, etc., you are spot on.
post #775 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBob View Post
I agree with much of what you have said, however, I do think you misunderstood two of his points. 1) When he is talking about fabrics, I don't believe he is talking about shirt fabrics, but rather suit fabrics. When MT ran the 2 for 1 special on suits, they didn't include their nicer fabrics, and I'm not convinced that even their nicer fabrics are quality fabrics, at least they don't provide much information on them. Thus, if you order the suits, you are stuck with the lower quality fabrics. You don't have a choice.

2) In addition, I think he is correct when he mentions the resizing issue. Again, I believe he is referring to suits, and you are referring to shirts. My guess is MT does exactly as he said with the suits; that is they have a standard patten and they simply alter it for your measurements. This certainly can be better than an OTR suit, but it could also be worse, depending upon the skill and precision of the workers. Without a fitting or two, you could really come out of this much worse than OTR.

As to your comments regarding Asian manufacturing, shirt fabrics, profits, etc., you are spot on.

1)Did you ever consider that they couldn't afford to offer a 2 for 1 suit deal with the more expensive fabrics, or simply chose not to offer that kind of deal? People don't order suits like they do shirts. If they included the nice suit fabrics people would order the 2 for 1 and then not repeat order like they do for shirts. Your "not convinced that even their nicer fabrics are quality fabrics" and yet you haven't ordered a suit from them or seen one? That's a broad generalization just like kermitkebab was making. MT doesn't provide much information on their shirt fabrics either, but they seem to be busy with people buying their stuff anyway. You want a multitude of choices in suit fabrics, go bespoke. MT is not after that market. They serve people that want something that fits better than OTR but don't want to pay out the nose for it. MT is not trying to be something that they are not.

2) You just described what EVERY SINGLE MTM company does whether its HF, Zenga, or Austin Reed. They measure you, and make and standard pattern suit fit. That is by definition MTM. Bespoke is something entirely different and not what we are discussing here. I'm one of only a few people that I know of that have ordered a suit from MT and posted the results here. I can tell you that they didn't just alter an OTR cut. It fits better than any OTR suit I have tried. I chose the cheapest fabric because it was a test suit to see how they would do. I was pleased with the results and will order another suit with them in the future. You discuss 'fittings', you do realize this is online MTM from China? You want fittings, then pay $500 more and get that HF or Austin Reed MTM done at your local store. You want a $350 MTM suit that may require another $50-$100 in alterations when it comes in then chose MT.
post #776 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
You are obviously upset. The purpose behind the detailed post was simply to disillusion those who expect that because an item is MTM (from anywhere) that it is necessarily quality. Many Asian MTMs do not offer fabric quality upgrades. You take what they offer. As far as MTM shirts fitting better, perhaps they do. But does that really matter? Depends. Are you an odd size? Are you lopsided? Then MTM is the way to go. But to pay more just to say: "Well, this is custom made!" is rather vain and naive. Again, there is also the matter of fabric. If an MTM has cheap custom shirts, then they have cheap fabric. Other custom shirtmakers use great fabric. But they cost more. I am not prejudiced. I am a value shopper. That means I want the most for my money. Price becomes largely irrelevant, except for budget considerations. It is not what you pay. It is what you get for what you pay.

And yes, an MTM from Oxxford does fit exactly the first time. But that is not the point.

Now, isn't it nice to have a post like mine generate some real interest? Instead of just having a mutual admiration society.

I'm not upset, just shedding light on your johnny come lately noob status trying to tell us what MT is about without actually having personally ordered from them. Or have you?
Nobody in this thread is comparing MT stuff to Zenga. People are smart enough to know what they are paying for at a certain price point. YOU are inserting the quality argument.
MT does offer quality fabrics for their shirts which is their overwhelming market. They didn't offer Alumo and Testa shirt fabrics when they first started either, but now they do. If they sell more suits then I'm sure they will add more fabrics as the demand rises. This is how a business operates. This thread is not about Asian MTM in general, it is about MT and what they offer.
Again, what is your argument? No one is expecting a $69 fabric at MT to be as a RLPL shirt. To expect that is stupid. People ordering from MT want MTM shirts at a certain price point. Some have ordered the nicer fabrics and been pleased with the quality, but they also paid more.

Your post isn't generating interest, it is stating the obvious that we already know.
You seem to have a problem with Asian MTM and the people that appreciate the service for the price point they offer. I'm guessing you're either a label whore or someone in the business.
post #777 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
I find that MTM shirts from PaulFrederick.com offer a very nice balance between price and quality. I've been buying their RTW shirts for years and they have really nice patterns. And good quality fabric . And they run nice sales. Their ties are nice too. But don't purchase their suits. Inexpensive, yes. But quality has really gone down in the last few years. Oh, they look real nice in the catalog. But when you get one and try it on - it screams low quality. Lapels have no roll. Pants are limp. Tailoring is poor. But, you know? what do you expect for $299 - $399 (retail).

Just took at look at that site. 4-5 weeks for delivery. $89 for 80's thread count shirts. Balance between price and quality?
You expect exactly what you get from a $300 suit and to expect more is just dumb. But people know this but maybe you are just understanding it and thought you should share...
post #778 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
As far as MTM shirts fitting better, perhaps they do. But does that really matter?


You lost me right there.
post #779 of 3284
Can we please stop fighting about quality and get back to wondering where the living hell my shirts happen to be at the moment?

Thanks,
HPB
post #780 of 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
Your continued ardor would seem to indicate that you have some personal or financial attachment to this company under discussion. Be that as it may. I have long, long experience in the clothing industry and no ties to anyone.

My now well known dislike for low-budget MTMs is well documented in my other posts. It's not about the clothes, is it? It's about the money.

Your 1 month of posting history...

Please do some research about my posting history. You will see that I am a MT customer and nothing more. I get annoyed when people such as yourself, who have never even ordered a MT product, come on a thread like this one and tell us what MT is or isn't.

Yes, it is about the money. That's why I buy my MTM from MT and not OTR designer label shirts. Because they fit better, look better, and the price is right for the fabric I pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitkebab View Post
There is 80's and there is 80's. Numbers mean nothing in fabric quality. I wear their shirts. They have great fabrics. Delivery times vary all over. Obviously I have no allegiance to this company (PaulFrederick.com) in as much as I am very critical of their suits.

So you know that MT's 80's are not the kind of 80's you have come to expect since paulfredrick.com or some other outfit charges more for their 80's? Again, you are making allegations about MT's product which you know nothing about.

I have over 14 shirts and one suit from MT . I even wrote a detailed review of the suit. Some things I was happy with, others not so much. But I knew what I was paying for. A $300 MTM suit. I had no illusions of grandeur.
I have had minor issues with some of my shirts like buttons breaking or measurements being slightly off but I emailed MT and they attempted to compensate me for my troubles however not always to my satisfaction. Customer service at this price point isn't going to be overwhelming. Others have also had some problems and that sucks. But that is what this thread is for, to share experiences about MT and to inform others.

You know nothing about MT specifically, yet you are more than willing to share you 'opinion' as to what MT is or isn't. I, and many others know what market niche MT serves and we are happy with the product. You however seem to be worried that we are not properly informed and nothing could be further from the truth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread