No, not yet...expecting some shrinkage? What's the standard procedure: 5 washes. I would wash cold, delicate, then air dry before ironing to minimize shrinking. They claim that their fabrics are pre-shrunk or wash, or at least there should be little shrinking...true?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my first suit! Last post on 9/15/11 at 8:36am in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- RULES for the tall and skinny man Last post on 11/16/14 at 5:56am in Classic Menswear
- Does this SC look dated ? New SC added on page 2 Last post on 9/5/11 at 10:37am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread - Page 201
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3002 of 32858/24/12 at 7:30pmQuote:
I don't think MT shirt shrink that much. I've washed the shirts I received multiple times in the washer in Cold/Cold setting, and then dried on low. I'd say expect less than 1/2" shrinkage if you use the same settings.
I also bought some other shirts in China intended for the Chinese market, and these shrink more than 2" in some cases. The reason I think is Dryers are not popular in China yet, so people usually line dry.post #3003 of 32858/27/12 at 7:57amI'm going to order a casual oxford this week. I think I have the measurements down for the fit. Having a little trouble with the sleeve and shirt length.
About where should the shirt stop if I'm going to be wearing it untucked? And for my sleeve length Idk if I'm measuring it wrong or what but I'm getting 29" and it says that it's a questionable length. I want to make sure all of my measurements are correct before I go through with the order. I'm about 6'4 does 29" sleeves sound too far off?post #3004 of 32858/27/12 at 2:35pm
I'm 6'5". I'm not entirely sure where the shirt should stop. I would say somewhere near the top of the jeans pockets. I input 30" for shirt length and they typically shrink down to 29.5" after a couple wash/dry cycles, but I think I could take off another .5".
For sleeve length I use 27.75" and they shrink down to about 27.25" after a couple wash/dry cycles. 29" sounds like it might be too long for you.post #3005 of 32858/27/12 at 6:02pmpost #3006 of 32858/27/12 at 6:34pmpost #3007 of 32858/27/12 at 11:25pm
Hey guys. I just ordered my first Modern Tailor shirt using their trial offer fabric. I based the measurements off of a 5th and Lamar shirt. I need some feedback on the fit of this thing. I know the sleeves need to be longer. It feels really tight in the arm holes - does this mean the shoulders need to come out a bit or do the armholes need to be bigger? I've got to say, the fabric on this thing is pretty bad - I literally ironed this shirt right before I took the pictures and there's already wrinkles in it. Oh well, I'm not actually going to wear it anywhere. I just want to get the measurements right.post #3008 of 32858/29/12 at 8:19am
AeroCarl, you should go to a local tailor to get some professional advice.
From what I can see in the pictures:
- The shoulders needs to come out 1/2" on both side (this is very obvious from the frontal shots)
- The half-armhold should increase by 1/2"
- Sleeves length should increase by 1/2" to 1"
- Waist fits ok, it would be easier to judge if you put on dress trousers rather than jeans.
Just my 2 cents.post #3009 of 32858/30/12 at 11:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by omgitswes
I'm going to order a casual oxford this week. I think I have the measurements down for the fit. Having a little trouble with the sleeve and shirt length.
About where should the shirt stop if I'm going to be wearing it untucked? And for my sleeve length Idk if I'm measuring it wrong or what but I'm getting 29" and it says that it's a questionable length. I want to make sure all of my measurements are correct before I go through with the order. I'm about 6'4 does 29" sleeves sound too far off?
I believe the conventional wisdom is that a casual shirt should stop at your belt line.
Just going to throw this out there though: maybe you should stop leaving your shirts untucked? You can achieve a casual vibe by rolling your sleeves and leaving an extra button at the neck undone, and with a tuck it still looks neat.
29" is perfectly possible. I get mine 27", at I'm only 5'10" (I have long arms tho).post #3010 of 32859/2/12 at 2:23am
one thing I learned is that MT is not a good place for first timers getting their measurements its horrible because the numbers are guessing on ourself for our own measurment. Its like a hit and miss with our own measuring and when we get the clothign from its not like we go down to their shop down the street to alter it it further since it wont be right the first or second or third etc...so we waste our money.
Unless you have shirts and the measurments from a tailor you always go to then MT is a great start to save some bucks, but other than that its a waste of money. Its rare you or MT will get the fit correct to ones liking first time around.post #3011 of 32859/2/12 at 9:12ampost #3012 of 32859/2/12 at 9:39ampost #3013 of 32859/2/12 at 9:46amIt's baffling to me that people actually try to use body measurements with online MTM sites. It's a recipe for bad shirts and wasted time and money. Always start with RTW shirt measurements and tweak conservatively. I've tried a bunch of services and my first shirt has never been unwearable.post #3014 of 32859/2/12 at 10:00pmQuote:
I got my tailor on my shirt RIGHT the first time. I had switch a measurement specilisit they call it because mine died after 20 years, but yup in person he measured me 3 to 5 times at each place and asked me how I liked to dress as in extra roomy or slimmer cut. I told him slimmer cut due to my lean physique (roughly 8% bodyfat sometimes 6%) and from then on he got me right after a 3 hour disucssion of fit.
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP MAKING MISTAKES ITS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU CANT SPEAK UP AND TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU WANT. HENCE 'BESPOKE'.post #3015 of 32859/2/12 at 10:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by prozach1576
It's baffling to me that people actually try to use body measurements with online MTM sites. It's a recipe for bad shirts and wasted time and money. Always start with RTW shirt measurements and tweak conservatively. I've tried a bunch of services and my first shirt has never been unwearable.
Exactly, well said!!!!! I read this thread and there are alot of 'first timers' and they keep messing up and messing up. Get these measurements done in person first and then do MT ordering from a shirt you like.
- www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (Carmina, Drakes, Cappelli, Finamore) -... 56 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 1 minute ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › Standard and Strange - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 6 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 6 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 8 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 10 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays
- › Last Minute Gifts for Dad
- › The Joy of Bad Christmas Movies
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › The Styleforum Brief: November 2014
- › Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In...
- › MEET THE PRESS
- › How to Survive the Holidays with Your...