or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 3277
cross-posted from an earlier thread, here's my crappy iphone shot of my 2nd shirt. Much slimmer all around:



Still looking for a good solid white dress shirt option (in other words, not oxford) in the $50ish range. I would pick up 4 at the right price, but I don't want to spend $400 to do it.
post #182 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonElitist View Post
MT's quality control for shirts is MUCH higher than their quality control for pants. This is an asymmetry with the company's services. Shirts are highly customizable, but not so for pants. Here are some suggestions for a better user experience in ordering pants for MT: 1. Minimize the number of parameters for the pants. Of course waist size (not vanity sizes), cuff circumference, and length are important. I BELIEVE THAT EVERY OTHER DIMENSION IS DERIVABLE BASED ON THESE 3 VALUES. Outseam, Inseam, and Crotch are all related, and these 3 measurements could be reduced to 1 measurement. 2. They asked me to measure my knee, which I did. My knee is ~17", but they were quite confused. They were interested in how big is the knee's perimeter on my favorite pants. 3. Allow more options, such as: side stitches, cuff stitches, the way the button looks if it is exposed (it only comes hidden and very formal), cargo pants option, what the button looks like, number of belt loops, depth of pockets, key pockets, ELIMINATE THE OPTION FOR ONLY 1 or 0 POCKETS - IT SHOULD STAY AS 2, what would the back POCKETS look like (i.e. with a button, no button, etc.), and so on.
I think that the more measurements the better. If measuring yourself, maybe not, but if you're measuring off an existing pair of pants, they'll have an better idea of how you want them cut. Instead of them deriving other dimensions, they can simply go off the ones you've measured. Check out this measuring guide. I wouldn't mind taking more dimensions if it meant being more precise. http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41
post #183 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonElitist View Post
MT's quality control for shirts is MUCH higher than their quality control for pants. This is an asymmetry with the company's services. Shirts are highly customizable, but not so for pants. Here are some suggestions for a better user experience in ordering pants for MT: 1. Minimize the number of parameters for the pants. Of course waist size (not vanity sizes), cuff circumference, and length are important. I BELIEVE THAT EVERY OTHER DIMENSION IS DERIVABLE BASED ON THESE 3 VALUES. Outseam, Inseam, and Crotch are all related, and these 3 measurements could be reduced to 1 measurement. 2. They asked me to measure my knee, which I did. My knee is ~17", but they were quite confused. They were interested in how big is the knee's perimeter on my favorite pants. 3. Allow more options, such as: side stitches, cuff stitches, the way the button looks if it is exposed (it only comes hidden and very formal), cargo pants option, what the button looks like, number of belt loops, depth of pockets, key pockets, ELIMINATE THE OPTION FOR ONLY 1 or 0 POCKETS - IT SHOULD STAY AS 2, what would the back POCKETS look like (i.e. with a button, no button, etc.), and so on.
Here we go again... I suggest you buy clothing from a place that gives you the two following parameters to choose from (1) Men or Womens (2) Small, Medium, Large. Please, you already tried to "suggest" this less measurements approach for shirts and got roasted (which I think was justified), don't repeat it with pants.
post #184 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonElitist View Post
waist size (not vanity sizes), cuff circumference, and length are important. I BELIEVE THAT EVERY OTHER DIMENSION IS DERIVABLE BASED ON THESE 3 VALUES.
Not if you want to be able to specify the rise, which separate inseam and outseam measurements allow you to do. But then I wouldn't expect you to be smart enough to realise that. The seat measurement can also make a big difference to the fit for anyone who has a larger or smaller behind than average; if you derive it (and, to a lesser extent, the knee/thigh measurements) from the waist measurement you get a pair of trousers which fits like OTR and defeats the whole object of getting MTM in the first place. For example, someone who does lots of squats is gonna need a bigger thigh than the average. Even the crotch measurement can contain information not inherant in the difference between the inseam and outseam...for someone who has a large belly for instance the crotch measurement may be relatively larger, compared to the outseam minus inseam, than it would be for someone who is slim. Basically, all these measurements are there for a reason, and your ignorance of cutting/tailoring does not change this fact. It is better to have extra measurements that might be redundant for a customer who is close to average, than be lacking measurements that are necessary to fit a customer who isn't.
post #185 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbananas View Post
What problem did you have with the pants? Fit? Material?

the measurements were all at least 1 inch off and the pant (cotton) was so ridgid i suspect i could had stood it upright without support.
post #186 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
Not if you want to be able to specify the rise, which separate inseam and outseam measurements allow you to do. But then I wouldn't expect you to be smart enough to realise that. The seat measurement can also make a big difference to the fit for anyone who has a larger or smaller behind than average; if you derive it (and, to a lesser extent, the knee/thigh measurements) from the waist measurement you get a pair of trousers which fits like OTR and defeats the whole object of getting MTM in the first place. For example, someone who does lots of squats is gonna need a bigger thigh than the average. Even the crotch measurement can contain information not inherant in the difference between the inseam and outseam...for someone who has a large belly for instance the crotch measurement may be relatively larger, compared to the outseam minus inseam, than it would be for someone who is slim. Basically, all these measurements are there for a reason, and your ignorance of cutting/tailoring does not change this fact. It is better to have extra measurements that might be redundant for a customer who is close to average, than be lacking measurements that are necessary to fit a customer who isn't.
Sanguis, thank you for your thoughtful explanation. I'd suggest you read post #79 through #120 to get a feel for what you are dealing with here. You might want to save your breath.
post #187 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post
cross-posted from an earlier thread, here's my crappy iphone shot of my 2nd shirt. Much slimmer all around:



Still looking for a good solid white dress shirt option (in other words, not oxford) in the $50ish range. I would pick up 4 at the right price, but I don't want to spend $400 to do it.

I think this looks great. Which fabric is it?
post #188 of 3277
^It looks like p192 which was on sale last week I believe. I had a shirt made with the same fabric and am very pleased with it.
post #189 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post
I think this looks great. Which fabric is it?

It looks great but it's actually uncomfortable to wear. I went too small in the waist measurement and it's just too tight to the point where I'm doing the Picard Maneuver every 5 minutes. Luckily I got it with darts and so I think letting the darts out will give me just enough extra room to breathe to the point where it will be wearable.

The fabric is p192. It's a cotton/poly blend so I wouldn't recommend it. I selected it only as another "experiment" fabric to help me refine my measurements. It was on sale at 29.95 (and may still be). I'll probably still wear it but wouldn't say the fabric is great since it is, after all, a blend.
post #190 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderntailoremma View Post
On another note, we have a $20 off promotion on all pants as long as you order more than $100 worth of shirts. We're pushing custom tailored pants at the moment due to the following reasons:
1. We receive 98% customer satisfaction on our pants...
2. We have cotton lycra fabrics which are perfect for comfortable yet perfect fitting pants

Regards,
E

Hi Emma.
How thick is the cotton/lycra compared to the plain cotton?
post #191 of 3277
Emma,

I'm curious how customizable the collars on your shirts are. Specifically the rounded collar. While I don't mind the more spread rounded collar I'm looking for more of a classic club collar that can be pinned. Is that doable?
post #192 of 3277
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Hi Emma. How thick is the cotton/lycra compared to the plain cotton?
Hello! there's small difference in thickness - though, both fabrics can be used in winter and would be comfortable in summer Lycra cotton would feel a bit thicker though - this is due to the lycra yarn E
post #193 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerostyle View Post
Emma, or anyone else:

I'm looking at sale fabric p234, labeled as "light blue plain".

I'm searching for a light blue shirt, but the image of this one looks a lot closer to cornflower/medium blue.

Is it just a bad picture and actually rather light?



I am also interested in this question. Any feedback? Thanks
post #194 of 3277
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnteachl View Post
I am also intersted in this question. Any feedback? Thanks

Got this question, I'll give you more feedback later.

E
post #195 of 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post
It looks great but it's actually uncomfortable to wear. I went too small in the waist measurement and it's just too tight to the point where I'm doing the Picard Maneuver every 5 minutes. Luckily I got it with darts and so I think letting the darts out will give me just enough extra room to breathe to the point where it will be wearable.

The fabric is p192. It's a cotton/poly blend so I wouldn't recommend it. I selected it only as another "experiment" fabric to help me refine my measurements. It was on sale at 29.95 (and may still be). I'll probably still wear it but wouldn't say the fabric is great since it is, after all, a blend.

Hrm...

OK, so on second thought... as it turns out, without an undershirt, the fit is perfect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › www.moderntailor.com Custom Tailored Clothing Official Thread