or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Boardwalk Empire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boardwalk Empire - Page 62

post #916 of 1223
The skill shot over Tommy's head was pretty unnecessary as people have noted, but it was also a cool scene so I am not inclined to fight the premise too much. I suppose it is within reason that he was going to lay down his gun and then thought better of the idea at the last minute.
post #917 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

I dont think Gillian tried to make him OD, but rather just drug him so he was in a weaker state then she could kill him.

That seems ridiculous considering all those guys would be in that house wondering how he died. I guess suffocation might have been her angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The skill shot over Tommy's head was pretty unnecessary as people have noted, but it was also a cool scene so I am not inclined to fight the premise too much. I suppose it is within reason that he was going to lay down his gun and then thought better of the idea at the last minute.

Unnecessary dramatics.

The whole segment, from him walking into to that shooting was hokey. Would anyone in their right mind (especially a guy with 1 eye) just barge thru the middle of hallways like that? And the timing of Massaria's guys leaving? Come on. Seconds after they leave, he just happens to arrive? And if they didnt leave, we are supposed to believe he was going to pick off 40 guys?

The whole episode was really badly executed. Real masterstroke to make a show bloated and tired in one single episode.
post #918 of 1223
I do get annoyed when I see shootout scenes or fight scenes for that matter that seem unrealistic. Guys waiting to get shot or punched. Richard kneeling down and shooting the guy would have been cool in that maybe he feels the guy relaxes a bit but is then squashed by him telling Tommy to close his eyes. I guess the cool dialogue wins over reality occasionally. Also thought how are they not killing each other shooting across ea. other in the ambush.

As for Gyp's guy knowing where he would be but agree it's not worth bogging things down. Gyp & co. could have agreed on a meeting place as things were going down.

Still enjoy the show and look forward to next season.
post #919 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlfvr View Post

I do get annoyed when I see shootout scenes or fight scenes for that matter that seem unrealistic. Guys waiting to get shot or punched. Richard kneeling down and shooting the guy would have been cool in that maybe he feels the guy relaxes a bit but is then squashed by him telling Tommy to close his eyes. I guess the cool dialogue wins over reality occasionally. Also thought how are they not killing each other shooting across ea. other in the ambush.
As for Gyp's guy knowing where he would be but agree it's not worth bogging things down. Gyp & co. could have agreed on a meeting place as things were going down.
Still enjoy the show and look forward to next season.

You have to remember these are mostly just hired hands they rnt really trained killers or former soliders...the economy wasnt exactly great back then so men would do what they had to for work which is pretty obvious from watching but in case you forgot confused.gif

Not to mention that it was night time most were probably drinking before hand.

No one was really waiting to be shot other then the one guy who pleaded for his life.

The whole scene was a cluster, the men didnt really know what was going on with Massaria's guys leaving the last thing they were expecting was someone to come in guns drawn.
post #920 of 1223
I assume Richard was watching the premises and when he saw 40 or so men leaving knew that'd be the best time to strike.
post #921 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

You have to remember these are mostly just hired hands they rnt really trained killers or former soliders...the economy wasnt exactly great back then so men would do what they had to for work which is pretty obvious from watching but in case you forgot confused.gif
Not to mention that it was night time most were probably drinking before hand.
No one was really waiting to be shot other then the one guy who pleaded for his life.
The whole scene was a cluster, the men didnt really know what was going on with Massaria's guys leaving the last thing they were expecting was someone to come in guns drawn.

I disagree. Those were career Italian mob guys. Many of Nucky's guys fit that bill but those goons were downright gangsters. Regardless, no trained sniper like Richard is going to just walk thru halls like that, especially a sniper.
post #922 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I assume Richard was watching the premises and when he saw 40 or so men leaving knew that'd be the best time to strike.

So again, a slipshod example of the episode's poor quality. It would have been well storyboarded to have 2 or 3 one second scenes where you see Richard staking out, then notices them leaving and realizes this was his chance. Eliminate a couple of seconds from the actual attack and you've got a plausible flow.
post #923 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

You have to remember these are mostly just hired hands they rnt really trained killers or former soliders...the economy wasnt exactly great back then so men would do what they had to for work which is pretty obvious from watching but in case you forgot confused.gif
Not to mention that it was night time most were probably drinking before hand.
No one was really waiting to be shot other then the one guy who pleaded for his life.
The whole scene was a cluster, the men didnt really know what was going on with Massaria's guys leaving the last thing they were expecting was someone to come in guns drawn.

Actually, Prohibition was signed into place (Volstead Act) in the first season so we know it's about 1920 (the Act was made law in October of 1919). Also, I assume the phrase "Roaring 20s" is familiar to you, which was a period of prolonged economic expansion after WWI. Speaking of which, it was just after WWI, so there was indeed a bunch of former soldiers knocking around. Jim Darmody and Richard just to name two.
post #924 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

So again, a slipshod example of the episode's poor quality. It would have been well storyboarded to have 2 or 3 one second scenes where you see Richard staking out, then notices them leaving and realizes this was his chance. Eliminate a couple of seconds from the actual attack and you've got a plausible flow.

Who cares. This isn't the Wire and it's never made a pretense of being realistic.
post #925 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Actually, Prohibition was signed into place (Volstead Act) in the first season so we know it's about 1920 (the Act was made law in October of 1919). Also, I assume the phrase "Roaring 20s" is familiar to you, which was a period of prolonged economic expansion after WWI. Speaking of which, it was just after WWI, so there was indeed a bunch of former soldiers knocking around. Jim Darmody and Richard just to name two.

Yea roaring 20s didnt apply to everyone. The income gap was huge back then...its worse now but thats neither here nor there.

I thought we were in like 1923 at this point in time...id have to re-watch s3e1 to confirm though.

To me it seemed the men are not young soliders like jimmy or richard though. Most of Massaria's guys look to be late 30s and 40s who wouldnt have been in the war. I dont have any research to prove this is how it was in real life, but thats the feel I got from this show.
post #926 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Who cares. This isn't the Wire and it's never made a pretense of being realistic.

Its never made a case to be a superhero movie either. In different but similar ways, this show risks descending into the same foolishness that True Blood did.
post #927 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

How did Rossetti's #2 know where to find him? This kind of crap happens all the time in the movies, drives me crazy.

You're over thinking it. They probably had a rendezvous point if they ever had to leave in a hurry. Regardless, it is significant enough to take issue with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The real Gaston Means was a prodigious blackmailer, in addition to his other areas of expertise, so I bet he's got some dirt on Mellon.
I don't really understand why Nucky double crossed Rothstein and Masseria. Seems like he would do well to make friends now, or at least not make enemies.

This whole season Nucky has made sure anyone who crossed him paid for it. That included the teenage boy who stole from him. This is no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientCause View Post

Yea I wonder what capone got out of all of this...I agree Nucky had to make a statement to AR and Masseria but I don't see how it ends well for him. He wont get backlash from AR but I can't see Masseria taking to kindly to this unless now their main focus is heroin.

This will probably be a lot of what next season will revolve around. I am guessing Nucky will have a lot of dealings with Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I'm going to assume that Gillian survives the OD.

I'm curious as to Eli's role next season and how the fallout between AR and Lucky/Meyer plays out.

Do we know for a fact that Gillian did survive? I am pretty sure that part has been left open. Frankly, I do not think the show would suffer without her.

The AR, Lucky, Meyer has a lot of intrigue. Lucky and Meyer took a big hit in their endeavor to be independent.
post #928 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

So again, a slipshod example of the episode's poor quality. It would have been well storyboarded to have 2 or 3 one second scenes where you see Richard staking out, then notices them leaving and realizes this was his chance. Eliminate a couple of seconds from the actual attack and you've got a plausible flow.

I'm pretty sure Richard was suppose to be a complete surprise- which it was.
It wouldn't have been as effective in terms of excitement for them to show him stalking the bushes beforehand.


And I would assume if your gonna go murder a house full of people your gonna case the place and see whats up first.
post #929 of 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566 View Post


Do we know for a fact that Gillian did survive? I am pretty sure that part has been left open. Frankly, I do not think the show would suffer without her.

Entertainment Weekly interviewed the creator after the episode aired. He confirms that Gillian survived and also that Eddie- Nucky's butler, survives.
post #930 of 1223
An appropriately disappointing end to an extremely disappointing season.

Jumped the shark when they shot Jimmy. I won't bother with it next year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Boardwalk Empire