or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Boardwalk Empire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boardwalk Empire - Page 75

post #1111 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Getting sick of the trope of giving characters a seemingly happy ending, then killing them. It's really transparent. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Richard's death lost almost all effect for me because I knew it was coming the second he put Julia and Tommy on that train to Wisconsin.

 

Yep, agreed. Said that to my wife the moment it happened.

post #1112 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Getting sick of the trope of giving characters a seemingly happy ending, then killing them. It's really transparent.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Richard's death lost almost all effect for me because I knew it was coming the second he put Julia and Tommy on that train to Wisconsin.

Sigh...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What is so frustrating for me is how desperate and contrived killing Richard is. I can't help but wonder if the creators and writers are aware that when it comes to the rest of the cast, the audience really doesn't have any skin in the game. It's like they know 99% of the show is incapable of delivering anything dramatic because we already know the characters are doomed or they are so corrupted by the series moral universe we find it hard to care. So they are forced to do shit like this.

I know drama is inherently manipulative, but the trick is making it feel like it couldn't' be any other way. And this show hasn't had that for a long time.
post #1113 of 1200
Although this was a great season for me. I was too disappointed with the season finale. I think they are hard to write, as seems to be the case with a lot of shows. I thought last season's finale was bad as well. As for Richard as much as I liked him I felt they had taken his story as far as they could. Really what would they do, show him happy with his new life? What left me confused was that now that Knox has been killed by Eli would the feds have come immediately for Will? There seem to be no concern on his or Nucky's part in their final conversation.
post #1114 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlfvr View Post

Although this was a great season for me. I was too disappointed with the season finale. I think they are hard to write, as seems to be the case with a lot of shows. I thought last season's finale was bad as well. As for Richard as much as I liked him I felt they had taken his story as far as they could. Really what would they do, show him happy with his new life? What left me confused was that now that Knox has been killed by Eli would the feds have come immediately for Will? There seem to be no concern on his or Nucky's part in their final conversation.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the Feds were coming for Eli..or maybe I misheard?  Also, they never really explained why Narcisse was arrested and then "told' to say that a black guy killed Agent Knox. Did Nucky pay them off again after his meeting with them at the train station? He didn't seem the least bit concerned when he was talking to Will (who I think was heading back up to Temple?).

 

I think I need to read a recap...

post #1115 of 1200
post #1116 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthewazzu View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the Feds were coming for Eli..or maybe I misheard?  Also, they never really explained why Narcisse was arrested and then "told' to say that a black guy killed Agent Knox. Did Nucky pay them off again after his meeting with them at the train station? He didn't seem the least bit concerned when he was talking to Will (who I think was heading back up to Temple?).

I think I need to read a recap...

I think it's safe to ditch the spoilers at this point.

The Feds were coming for Eli. The Narcisse thing is all about Hoover's ego. He (at least the show version) doesn't give a shit about organized crime and Knox. He cares about radicals, commies, etc. He found a silver lining in the situation since Narcisse was connected to Marcus Garvey.
post #1117 of 1200
Chalky's daughters death was heartbraking...That was a great scene and I so wanted Richard to kill Narcsse. I am glad Eli and Chalky are ok for next season and despite liking RIchard,i am notthat upset about it. It was a nice scene at the end.
post #1118 of 1200
I was a little sad to see RIchard go but apart from him ditching AC with his wife and child, I'm not sure what else they could've done with his character. The death of Chalky's girl was bad too. I remember my exact expression being, "Fuck".
post #1119 of 1200

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
"Sometimes I forget what I look like. Then I pass a mirror, and I remember. I stare sometimes at my face, and can’t recall how I was before." - Richard Farrow
 

 

I've been rooting for Harrow to win since the first episode he appeared on. Hands down one of the best characters on the show.

post #1120 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthewazzu View Post
 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the Feds were coming for Eli..or maybe I misheard?  Also, they never really explained why Narcisse was arrested and then "told' to say that a black guy killed Agent Knox. Did Nucky pay them off again after his meeting with them at the train station? He didn't seem the least bit concerned when he was talking to Will (who I think was heading back up to Temple?).

 

I think I need to read a recap...

 

 

Nucky must've worked out a deal in the likes that they could arrest Narcisse on the murder of Agent Knox, but give him an ultimatum, either working with them to help edgar and get the "radicals" and "communist". J. Edgar  less interested in actually solving Knox's murder who he didn't even care for. So Nucky told them Narcisse is linked up with Marcus Garvey and such. Leading to Edgar putting the blame on Agent Knox's murder on someone else, giving Eli a pass, and J.Edgar Hoover gets what he wants….A C.I. with ties to M. Garvey.

 

 This whole season Edgar has been more interested in radical's and Communists, over some gangsters peddling liquor. 


Edited by MonsieurLock - 11/26/13 at 8:20pm
post #1121 of 1200
Killing Maybell was stupid.

Nucky would've blown Eli's head off if Will hadn't stumbled in. I let out a whoop when Van Alden pulled up alongside Eli. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sad about Richard but where else could they have taken that character. He had already redeemed himself once, but again picked up the gun and killed someone. Should he have escaped and lived in the middle of nowhere with his new family? That's not what I call exciting. That final scene with him walking up to the house with his complete face...is someone chopping onions?

Does it go without saying that Al put the hit out on Torrio?
post #1122 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

Sad about Richard but where else could they have taken that character. He had already redeemed himself once, but again picked up the gun and killed someone. Should he have escaped and lived in the middle of nowhere with his new family? That's not what I call exciting. That final scene with him walking up to the house with his complete face...is someone chopping onions?

I didn't really have a problem with Richard dying. It was just so cliche... sending his family off to safety, obviously saying goodbye for the last time, accepting/expecting death. It would have been much more tragic if they didn't telegraph it so much.
Quote:
Does it go without saying that Al put the hit out on Torrio?

Historically, the hit was done in retaliation for O'Banion, but the show seems to make the implication that Torrio put the hit on Al (why else would Torrio leave right before the hit?) and Al retaliated with the hit on Torrio.
post #1123 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

I didn't really have a problem with Richard dying. It was just so cliche... sending his family off to safety, obviously saying goodbye for the last time, accepting/expecting death. It would have been much more tragic if they didn't telegraph it so much.

Historically, the hit was done in retaliation for O'Banion, but the show seems to make the implication that Torrio put the hit on Al (why else would Torrio leave right before the hit?) and Al retaliated with the hit on Torrio.

+1. I wish they had left out the "I love you" scene with Tommy...made it too blatant.
post #1124 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

Killing Maybell was stupid.

Nucky would've blown Eli's head off if Will hadn't stumbled in. I let out a whoop when Van Alden pulled up alongside Eli. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sad about Richard but where else could they have taken that character. He had already redeemed himself once, but again picked up the gun and killed someone. Should he have escaped and lived in the middle of nowhere with his new family? That's not what I call exciting. That final scene with him walking up to the house with his complete face...is someone chopping onions?

Does it go without saying that Al put the hit out on Torrio?

 

 

Well first, Torrio tried killing Al, which is why Torrio in the episode of Al's office getting shot up, Torrio left coincidently right before it happened, then suddenly Al gets a phone call in his office, and the place is shot up from across the street.. Al knew this because know one outside of their crew would of had the phone number there. Once Al saw how Torrio didn't really care who shot up the place, and put blame on someone else so nonchalantly, Al put the hit on Torio. The last scene between them two is Torio saying "You win" to Al, basically admitting defeat, because of old age, and almost dying, after his failed attempts at Al's life. This is all stemming from Al making decisions without Torrio's ok. Like the time Al said to Torio " I wouldn't cut you out of it" aka Not cutting Torrio out of his own operation, which lead to Torrio trying to take Al out.

post #1125 of 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurLock View Post

Well first, Torrio tried killing Al, which is why Torrio in the episode of Al's office getting shot up, Torrio left coincidently right before it happened, then suddenly Al gets a phone call in his office, and the place is shot up from across the street.. Al knew this because know one outside of their crew would of had the phone number there. Once Al saw how Torrio didn't really care who shot up the place, and put blame on someone else so nonchalantly, Al put the hit on Torio. The last scene between them two is Torio saying "You win" to Al, basically admitting defeat, because of old age, and almost dying, after his failed attempts at Al's life. This is all stemming from Al making decisions without Torrio's ok. Like the time Al said to Torio " I wouldn't cut you out of it" aka Not cutting Torrio out of his own operation, which lead to Torrio trying to take Al out.

The writers were clever with this one. They definitely made a strong implication that this was what happened, but never showed us definitive proof so that it doesn't conflict with history. They used a similar tactic by having Van Alden present at, but not actively involved in, Frank's and O'Banion's deaths.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Boardwalk Empire