• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds makes me physically sick

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I got one pair each of Fifth Ave. and Park Ave. a year or so ago. They've lasted well, though I don't wear them much, and they seem to be sturdy and comfortable. I've put toppys on them and everything is grand. HOWEVER...

A few months back I bought a pair of Berkshire, and a pair of Benton. The shoes look alright, minus some discoloration on the Benton at the brogued seam. I bought 9E, the same size I wear the comfortable Fifth Ave in. The Berkshire flops off the heel on the left foot, stays put on the right. The toe box on both the Berkshire and Benton are terrible... I buy wides for comfort, but these things hurt my feet and give me blisters. The rubber sole is detaching at the toe on the Benton, and I've only wore them a hand full of times.

So now when I see AE shoes online and their ridiculous prices I throw up a little in my mouth and wonder, "Why would anyone buy this when they can get some decent quality Aldens or something even better for a few hundred more?"

My point being: Is AE riding on a reputation? Have the decreased in quality while maintaining high prices? Why are the Fifth Aves so much better than these two pairs of garbage that I bought this Summer?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're wearing the shoes the wrong way.
peepwall[1].gif

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Thats usually what I think to myself when I see homeless people in McDonalds. Don't they know about the steak house down the street?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
Thats usually what I think to myself when I see homeless people in McDonalds. Don't they know about the steak house down the street?

Ouch!

OP: sorry you are having trouble. Contact AE customer service. They'll make things right.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Burtons and a pair of Belgiums and like both pair. No problems whatsoever.

Mike

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both the Park and 5th Avenue are made on the same last 5 (65) which works great for your feet and Benton and Berkshires are made on different lasts which don't. Call AE and they will get you the proper fit.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Both the Park and 5th Avenue are made on the same last 5 (65) which works great for your feet and Benton and Berkshires are made on different lasts which don't. Call AE and they will get you the proper fit.

thanks - I've wondered about AE lasts before and thought that there must be a universal last since I haven't noticed the last indicated on the shoe descriptions. Now that I know, this clears some stuff up. Thanks!

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
thanks - I've wondered about AE lasts before and thought that there must be a universal last since I haven't noticed the last indicated on the shoe descriptions. Now that I know, this clears some stuff up. Thanks!

I thought you were going to get some Aldens. Its only a few hundred more.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a pair of Bentons that I have had for about 4-5 years - no problems whatsoever with mine.

I also have some pairs that are 10 years old and never been recrafted and have no problems.

As far as the fit, you have to check which last the shoe is on. AE offers several different lasts to accomodate a variety of foot shapes. If you look at their website, each shoe lists the last under "details". The website also shows the features/fit of each last.

Chris

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought 9E, the same size I wear the comfortable Fifth Ave in. The Berkshire flops off the heel on the left foot, stays put on the right. The toe box on both the Berkshire and Benton are terrible... I buy wides for comfort, but these things hurt my feet and give me blisters.

One particular shoe/last doesn't fit you well, so despite that you have other shoes of the same make which are sturdy and confortable you proclaim that the entire company makes you physically sick?

Right...

And the detaching sole serves you right for buying rubber-soled shoes.

ndw

Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP makes me physically sick.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one pair each of Fifth Ave. and Park Ave. a year or so ago. They've lasted well, though I don't wear them much, and they seem to be sturdy and comfortable. I've put toppys on them and everything is grand. HOWEVER... A few months back ..blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
dawson_crying.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads