• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feel like I'm going nowhere in life

pokey07

Reaction score
Ever since my dad died I feel like I've had no real direction in life. I have no idea what I wanna do with my life, I'm 24, live at home, work a dead-end job, etc.

What should I do? Is this something you talk to a therapist about? Or is this a kind of suck it up and grow up kind of situation?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Or is this a kind of suck it up and grow up kind of situation?

Yup.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Robbing a liquor store is the best way to achieve clarity.

ruzzi

Reaction score
do you know what you want to do in life?

if you do, then simply put, you need to set some goals and then go about working towards those goals.

but yes, therapy may help you get over the hump you're trying to get over right now.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your level of education, and how much do you have saved up?

Do you have any particular interests that would fit well with a trade/post-secondary degree?

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Yup.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by ruzzi
do you know what you want to do in life?

if you do, then simply put, you need to set some goals and then go about working towards those goals.

but yes, therapy may help you get over the hump you're trying to get over right now.

I have very little idea what I want to actually do in life.

Originally Posted by Sherman90
What is your level of education, and how much do you have saved up?

Do you have any particular interests that would fit well with a trade/post-secondary degree?

BA in Economics. I thought I was going to work in finance and make a lot of money. Didn't happen that way.

I have -$30k saved up.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to the ******* club, pal.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel the same most days. Feel like a zombie, the living dead. I dont think its about the money or your goals. If supposedly Yama (the pagan Indian god of death) comes up to me and asks for a reason I shouldn't be dead today, I cant think of a single reason to let me live.

Its quite puzzling to me also, on the surface it seems I have everything. good money, beautiful wife, loving child yet no direction.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i feel like this sometimes, but it's more existential crisis than anything else.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Welcome to the ******* club, pal.

haha.

Originally Posted by aj_del
I feel the same most days. Feel like a zombie, the living dead. I dont think its about the money or your goals. If supposedly Yama (the pagan Indian god of death) comes up to me and asks for a reason I shouldn't be dead today, I cant think of a single reason to let me live.

Its quite puzzling to me also, on the surface it seems I have everything. good money, beautiful wife, loving child yet no direction.

Well that's upsetting. Doesn't your direction become providing a good life for your family? As corny as that sounds?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah newsflash it's because life has no meaning. You can make your own meaning, but if you understand this fundamental truth, deep down you always know it's just you manufacturing a meaning. Not that this is a terrible thing, it just is.

Edit: I've had a horrible day at work, which is making me crabby and evil.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
So I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Basically I'm saying you should try to shoot your face off with a shotgun.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
haha. Well that's upsetting. Doesn't your direction become providing a good life for your family? As corny as that sounds?
Ok, one reason I could give to Yama is that so my son doesnt grow up without a father. Cant think of another. Regarding wife, she is very loving caring and all that. But I simply dont care anymore. Its a zombie life, going through the motions. Maybe, as kunk and MS put it its an existential crisis. Whats the point of life anyways ?

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yeah newsflash it's because life has no meaning. You can make your own meaning, but if you understand this fundamental truth, deep down you always know it's just you manufacturing a meaning. Not that this is a terrible thing, it just is. Edit: I've had a horrible day at work, which is making me crabby and evil.
I also had a horrible day at work, and knowing that I'm going to be making $40k/year for the rest of my life made it doubly depressing.
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Feel as though nobody cares if I live or die So I might as well begin to put some action in my life Basically I'm saying you should try to shoot your face off with a shotgun.
Fatboy_reacts.gif

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your dad mate

i think only the luckiest people know exactly what they want from life and head down that path effortlessly.

the only thing to do is some deep soul searching. it sounds like you want to acheive something with your life so thats the first step. now the hard bit is figuring out what. be realistic abou what will make you happy and work hard towards acheiving it.

this reads like some bullshit self help guide but i went through the same thing and came out the other side. i was a few years older than everyone i graduated with but knew what i was doing is what i wanted to do.

good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads