or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What is going on in the finish of these shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is going on in the finish of these shoes?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
There appear to be fine lines across much of the shoe, but not on the toe. Are these cracks of some kind or is it supposed to be that way? If they are cracks, can they be repaired with conditioner or some other treatment?



post #2 of 6
They've got leather aids, it happened because someone whored them.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
These images from the AE website might help explain it (maybe not). They appear to differentiate between "Calf" and "Grain Calf," but I have no idea what those terms mean. The "Grain Calf," the second image, appears to have a somewhat pebbled finish, but I don't think it is necessarily "pebble grain." Calf Grain Calf
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohio View Post
There appear to be fine lines across much of the shoe, but not on the toe. Are these cracks of some kind or is it supposed to be that way?

The leather for this shoe has an artificially applied grain pattern; in the tannery the leather gets embossed with that particular pattern. Alden calls it "˜Alpine grain'; I believe your shoes are Florsheim, they call it (somewhat pretentiously) "˜Cashmere calf'.

When the shoe gets lasted (pulled over the wooden form), the great force used in that step will even out the pattern to a certain degree, particular in the toe area.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe View Post
The leather for this shoe has an artificially applied grain pattern; ...

I think you must be right, they are pebble grain. The shoes are actually Allen Edmonds' MacNeils. I'm not well versed in shoe history, but it would appear (based on a few Google searches) that pebble-grain, longwing bluchers are something of an American tradition.

Seems like AE isn't the best at doing the pebble grain, though.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohio View Post
I think you must be right, they are pebble grain. The shoes are actually Allen Edmonds' MacNeils. I'm not well versed in shoe history, but it would appear (based on a few Google searches) that pebble-grain, longwing bluchers are something of an American tradition. Seems like AE isn't the best at doing the pebble grain, though.
While it may not be the premier leather of the age, there is nothing wrong with the leather in your shoes. Any embossed grain leather will pull out over the toe. (I don't defend or attack any maker).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What is going on in the finish of these shoes?