or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watches--last stand by the well dressed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watches--last stand by the well dressed? - Page 2

post #16 of 44
I have an ipod, a cellphone and 5 different watches (nothing fancy whatsoever, the costliest is probably $100) in different styles to coordinate with different looks. I suppose I could go without, but that makes me feel naked. Also, I typically try to keep my pockets free of clutter, so the cell and ipod get shunted into my briefcase (and by "briefcase" I mean messenger-bag) so its inconvenient to have to rummage for the time when I could simply rotate my wrist about 20 degrees and lift my arm.
post #17 of 44
A serious ommission in this article was the exclusion of luxury mechanical watches and their resurgent sales within the past twenty years. The popularization of the quartz timepiece in the sixites and seventies almost killed the modern wristwatch, but the Swiss industry rebounded significantly in the 80s and 90s. Maybe a nice mechanical timepiece represents the McLuxury of the horological world.

I personally wear an automatic on a daily basis, and would like acquire a reasonably priced manual wind sometime in the future.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
when I could simply rotate my wrist about 20 degrees and lift my arm.

That's also the international gesture for "It's time to go" It doesn't quite work sans watch.
post #19 of 44
I never leave the house without wearing a watch.
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml90
I never leave the house without wearing a watch.

Aye. I am accumulating morer and more watches (almost exclusively mechanical) but I still keep my phone with me.
post #21 of 44
If my handle is any indication, you can guess where I stand regarding the issue. However, I guess to each his own...if you don't think you need a watch and can tell the time using your cell phone, etc... than more power to you.

Jon.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
If my handle is any indication, you can guess where I stand regarding the issue. However, I guess to each his own...if you don't think you need a watch and can tell the time using your cell phone, etc... than more power to you.

Jon.

<exemplifies ignorance>

What's it mean? :P
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik
<exemplifies ignorance>

What's it mean? :P

Watch Idiot Savant

I would like to add that you can always get the "╦ťSwiss watch' of cell phones:



The Vertu, which is made out of some of the same materials as a high-end watch, including a synthetic sapphire crystal.

Jon.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
including a synthetic sapphire crystal

...or you can buy a Kiton suit and buy a Blackberry 7130e and spring $15 for an InvisibleShield.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
...or you can buy a Kiton suit and buy a Blackberry 7130e and spring $15 for an InvisibleShield.

I didn't say I owned one or would ever get one, but if it's the fusion of the two worlds that you want...this is a good idea (if you can afford it).

Personally, I'm getting the Razr V3i when it comes out at the end of the week (hopefully).

Jon.
post #26 of 44
I endorse the idea that it's a "youth thing", to the extent that lumps me into the camp of youth.
Many moons ago when I was in college, I stopped wearing a watch. As the tallest building on campus was a campanile with a big clock on each face, the lack of a watch never stopped me from getting to class on time. (That is, if I didn't make it to class on time, it wasn't because I couldn't figure out what time it was.)
I've never re-acquired the habit of watch-wearing. Being in a somewhat time-obsessed profession, I'm confronted by reminders of the time. My desk phone (like my cellular) has a clock. My computer has a clock. The dashboard of my car has a clock. Courtrooms have clocks, and most law office conference rooms have clocks (not counting the clocks on laptops, etc. that may be in the room).
As such, I'm rarely ignorant of the time and rather prefer keeping my own body free of the tyranny of timekeeping.

Repent, Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man. (First to identify that quote gets -- well, nothing actually.)
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

(First to identify that quote gets -- )

Free legal services?

Jon.
post #28 of 44
I wear w atch to cover up the tan line that's created by wearing a watch!
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I endorse the idea that it's a "youth thing", to the extent that lumps me into the camp of youth. Many moons ago when I was in college, I stopped wearing a watch. As the tallest building on campus was a campanile with a big clock on each face, the lack of a watch never stopped me from getting to class on time. (That is, if I didn't make it to class on time, it wasn't because I couldn't figure out what time it was.) I've never re-acquired the habit of watch-wearing. Being in a somewhat time-obsessed profession, I'm confronted by reminders of the time. My desk phone (like my cellular) has a clock. My computer has a clock. The dashboard of my car has a clock. Courtrooms have clocks, and most law office conference rooms have clocks (not counting the clocks on laptops, etc. that may be in the room). As such, I'm rarely ignorant of the time and rather prefer keeping my own body free of the tyranny of timekeeping. Repent, Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man. (First to identify that quote gets -- well, nothing actually.)
OMG! It has been years since I last read that story. I think I have it in one of the Hugo Winners anthologies (you know, the old ones with the hilarious prefaces by Asimov). For some reason I am blanking out on the author.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
OMG! It has been years since I last read that story. I think I have it in one of the Hugo Winners anthologies (you know, the old ones with the hilarious prefaces by Asimov).

For some reason I am blanking out on the author.
Probably been 20 or so years since I read it, too.
Hint: the author's name rhymes with Marlin Smellison.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watches--last stand by the well dressed?