or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › My new F430
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My new F430 - Page 3

post #31 of 181
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
I am curious; how was the dealer experience? I assume you are a first time Ferrari owner, I would assume that coloured rather differently how the dealer dealt with you, no?
Not first time, no. And that definitely colors how the dealer deals with you. He knows me very well and likes me very much, and that makes all the difference in the world. It is a very incestuous community in a figurative sense. Once you are in, it's all good; you will get the invites to the Formula One parties, the dealer-sponsored runs, challenge races, etc. And the best way to get on that rolodex is to either be friends with the dealer somehow (which I am) but also to play their game - i.e. buy a used Ferrari from them at slight dealer markup (which I also did way back when). Then you are a customer already, and that counts for a helluva lot.
post #32 of 181
So what's the fastest you've driven one of those babies?
post #33 of 181
I think if I were to buy a brand new ferrari I'd try to go through the factory (at least im pretty sure thats an option), though a question of having the time to go there may pose a problem
post #34 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
So what's the fastest you've driven one of those babies?

F50, 120 mph. Oh, sorry, you weren't asking me.

Jon.
post #35 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Not first time, no. And that definitely colors how the dealer deals with you. He knows me very well and likes me very much, and that makes all the difference in the world. It is a very incestuous community in a figurative sense. Once you are in, it's all good; you will get the invites to the Formula One parties, the dealer-sponsored runs, challenge races, etc. And the best way to get on that rolodex is to either be friends with the dealer somehow (which I am) but also to play their game - i.e. buy a used Ferrari from them at slight dealer markup (which I also did way back when). Then you are a customer already, and that counts for a helluva lot.

I see. For some reason I thought I remembered you mentioning this was the first one - maybe you meant first new one and I just didn't remember correctly (that crap happens to me a lot, lol).
What is the recommended break in period, a few hundred miles or 1k miles?
post #36 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Not first time, no. And that definitely colors how the dealer deals with you. He knows me very well and likes me very much, and that makes all the difference in the world. It is a very incestuous community in a figurative sense. Once you are in, it's all good; you will get the invites to the Formula One parties, the dealer-sponsored runs, challenge races, etc. And the best way to get on that rolodex is to either be friends with the dealer somehow (which I am) but also to play their game - i.e. buy a used Ferrari from them at slight dealer markup (which I also did way back when). Then you are a customer already, and that counts for a helluva lot.

It also helps if you are introduced, plus if you know your stuff the dealer will see that you aren't just another passerby; that is to say another man with means who can buy the car, but purchases it for all the wrong reasons. At least that's what I have been told.

From my own experience (auto shows, going to car dealerships with friends when they were looking for their cars / when I was shopping for my car) you have to know how to approach the salespeople, and how to show them that you are interested in the entirety of the brand, not just the speed or the price of the car.

Jon.
post #37 of 181
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
I see. For some reason I thought I remembered you mentioning this was the first one - maybe you meant first new one and I just didn't remember correctly (that crap happens to me a lot, lol).
What is the recommended break in period, a few hundred miles or 1k miles?
No, not my first. Ferrari is certainly my other passion.

Break in is supposedly 600 miles/1000 km, according the users manual - you should try to keep it under 5000 rpm. But, I have to tell you, that's hard to do...
post #38 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
No, not my first. Ferrari is certainly my other passion.

Break in is supposedly 600 miles/1000 km, according the users manual - you should try to keep it under 5000 rpm. But, I have to tell you, that's hard to do...

You wanna see pics of a guy who bought an RS4 and crashed it his first week of ownership because he couldn't control himself? Break-in hurts (the soul and the 15-year-old in you) but, just wait how much fun its going to be when you finally let her rip after break-in.

Jon.
post #39 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
F50, 120 mph. Oh, sorry, you weren't asking me.

Jon.

You were in an F50 and only did 120? You disappoint me, Jon.
post #40 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
No, not my first. Ferrari is certainly my other passion.

Break in is supposedly 600 miles/1000 km, according the users manual - you should try to keep it under 5000 rpm. But, I have to tell you, that's hard to do...

Sheesh! 600 miles. Maybe you need to make some roadtrips to some outlets around the country, or drive to Dallas to take advantage of the RL sales as per the other thread - and let it rip on the way back
post #41 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You were in an F50 and only did 120? You disappoint me, Jon.

Since the owner was next to me and specifically said: "don't go over 120", I did the max speed that I was allotted. Either way, I really didn't want to crash an $650,000 car.

Jon.
post #42 of 181
Why did you opt not to get the ceramic brakes?
post #43 of 181
Thread Starter 
I'm not going to track it, and there's no real difference on the road. If anything, the ceramics are worse because they are terrible until they are warmed up.
post #44 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'm not going to track it, and there's no real difference on the road. If anything, the ceramics are worse because they are terrible until they are warmed up.

Good point.
post #45 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'm not going to track it, and there's no real difference on the road. If anything, the ceramics are worse because they are terrible until they are warmed up.

How much does that option cost?

Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › My new F430