• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fashion faux pas: wearing a suit without the jacket

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this considered a sartorial no-no when going out? i've made dinner reservations for my wife and I and I was going to wear my suit. however, because it's so hot out I didn't plan on wearing the suit jacket and only the pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie. yay or nay?

DandySF

Reaction score
A bit of detail about the fabric pattern would be helpful. Assuming the fabric isn't an obvious suiting material, such as a pinstripe, I wouldn't be concerned about wearing the pants independently of the jacket. I'd prefer to see no tie than a tie without a jacket.

Keep in mind that if the pants have to be cleaned before the jacket, you'll want to clean both of the them together at the same time, to prevent differences in color due to cleaning.

Macallan

Reaction score
Depends on the pattern; for example, if you planned to wear the trousers of a plain grey suit, most people will be none the wiser. If I were to do that, I would not wear black oxfords (for the US, the equivalent applies).

I do not like to wear a tie without a suit, unless required and in those scenarios would wear a sports jacket or at least a sweater (even a lightweight sweater).

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a tie without a jacket/sweater/cardigan rarely looks good. It usually gives off a generic office worker vibe.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad move because if done too much the pants may show more wear than the jacket.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
If I were to do that, I would not wear black oxfords (for the US, the equivalent applies).

Equivalent?

We wear black oxfords as well.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
during this hot spell in NYC i have given up on the jacket, still wear tie

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Wearing a tie without a jacket/sweater/cardigan rarely looks good. It usually gives off a generic office worker vibe.

(stealing an argument from olddog/oldtrix)

I have to agree

39682_10150239508580716_677180715_13991802_2430673_n.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

(stealing an argument from olddog/oldtrix)

I have to agree

I think the rolled sleeves, tie pin and hat make all the difference here. Without those details it would stray into office-worker territory.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
is this considered a sartorial no-no when going out? i've made dinner reservations for my wife and I and I was going to wear my suit. however, because it's so hot out I didn't plan on wearing the suit jacket and only the pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie. yay or nay?

It's fine. I'd skip the tie, too.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I think the rolled sleeves, tie pin and hat make all the difference here. Without those details it would stray into office-worker territory.

Or you could swap those for a bike and helmet to give off the Mormon vibe.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay

Are you working for MacDonald's?
laugh.gif
Either you wear and sweat - the classy option, or go for a nice pair of linen slacks, linen shirt (the tropical option). In my view a linen suit without a tie is better than a tie without the jacket (applicable if you are over 10 yrs)!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well technically it's not really wearing a suit if you only wear the pants, and I don't think anyones going to notice weither or not your just wearing dress pants or suits pants. I say go right on head and do it, it's not that big of a deal really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads