or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Style for first sweater?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Style for first sweater? - Page 2

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho
V, crew and turtle neck. You need all these. Try fih.com for some very nice merino wool jumpers.
I don't understand why some of you keep suggesting he needs like every type of sweater right now. If I remember correctly he's rather young and thus doesn't make that much.* IMO, I don't think the last two are the best choices either. Based on his physique which I've seen in another thread of his, a v-neck would be best since it has a slight slimming and elongating effect. You could argue turtlenecks do as well for an obvious reason, but they're not most guys' cup of tea. A scarf does just as well to keep the neck warm and adds a stylish touch. *I apologize if I seem patronizing, jose, not intended.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
I don't understand why some of you keep suggesting he needs like every type of sweater right now. If I remember correctly he's rather young and thus doesn't make that much.* IMO, I don't think the last two are the best choices either. Based on his physique which I've seen in another thread of his, a v-neck would be best since it has a slight slimming and elongating effect. You could argue turtlenecks do as well for an obvious reason, but they're not most guys' cup of tea. A scarf does just as well to keep the neck warm and adds a stylish touch.

*I apologize if I seem patronizing, jose, not intended.

Agreed, Jovan. He didn't say only sweater, he said first sweater - big difference. First implies that there will be more to come. V-neck to me seems to be the most versatile.
I have seen Jose's pics and agree that for a man of his stature the v would probably be best, assuming that he buys a well-fitting one.
post #18 of 39
What color undershirt do you guys recommend under a light grey v-neck sweater? I think white is too boring, maybe a charcoal long sleeve tee under it?
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl
What color undershirt do you guys recommend under a light grey v-neck sweater? I think white is too boring, maybe a charcoal long sleeve tee under it?

The beauty of grey is that it's a neutral. Wear it with any color. Personally, I prefer a BD under a v-neck.
post #20 of 39
I've always worn button downs under v-necks, so I wanted to try something else...
post #21 of 39
Sweaters are worthless for business wear. Get an overcoat. This season I suggest Etro's 7/8 length cashmere in chocolate herringbone. If you want to wear a sweater off hours, an Avon Celli is worth saving for.
post #22 of 39
Thread Starter 
How does Johnston's of Elgin stack up? I got one off STP in baby blue and really like it, and might consider the same brand if I need a thicker one.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
How does Johnston's of Elgin stack up? I got one off STP in baby blue and really like it, and might consider the same brand if I need a thicker one.
If you bought one, you should already know .
post #24 of 39
Thread Starter 
I wouldn't know how it stacks up against Avon Celli and some other things recommended now, would I? I ducked into Stonestreets in Cambridge the other day but forgot to ask which were the Avon Cellis since I didn't come upon them.

Anyway, congratulations on the +1 on your post count.
post #25 of 39
I finally decided to start wearing sweaters. I got plain ole cotton v neck and crew neck (navy and gray) for like $11 each at the BR outlet. Then I got a Penguin cardigan from Nordy Rack and a striped cardigan (both button up) from Club Monaco, both Merino Wool. The crew neck you can wear with a dress shirt or polo and the v neck would look good with a tie. The cardigans I plan on wearing with anything.
post #26 of 39
Thread Starter 
Anyone think it looks tacky to wear a v-neck sweater with a buttondown collar but no tie?
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Anyone think it looks tacky to wear a v-neck sweater with a buttondown collar but no tie?

Fuck no, cause that's my go-to sweater/shirt look. If anyone says it's tacky, I'd punch him in the face, as that's what tackily dressed folks do.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Anyone think it looks tacky to wear a v-neck sweater with a buttondown collar but no tie?
You're kidding right? That was my outfit for today. I think BDs go best with V-necks vs. other collars. I'm not against having my collar spread out over the sweater... but I think with a BD collar, it keeps it all neat and tidy, with the collar points kept in place.
post #29 of 39
What do you guys think about a light gray shirt worn under light gray v neck with black pants?
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasdom
What do you guys think about a light gray shirt worn under light gray v neck with black pants?

Sounds a little blah to me... how about a colored shirt (blue, pink, yellow) or even a striped shirt to give the outfit a little punch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Style for first sweater?