or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Inventory your hygiene and shaving stuff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inventory your hygiene and shaving stuff

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I have no life, so I typed everything I had out on another (shaving) forum. I figured why not copy it here and see what you guys think. -- I'm bored and can't sleep, so I'm getting a wild hair to inventory everything I have related to shaving, and hygiene in general. I know some of you guys out there have so much stuff, no way you're going to do this! But, for those of us with a more moderate amount....what ya got????? And more importantly, what do I need???? Creams: Old Spice (from India) GFT Rose C&E Sweet Almond Oil C&E Sandalwood Proraso Green KMF Virgin Forest Musgo Real ...all tubes Soaps: Will G Emerald Lime Will G Emerald Peppermint Will G Shea Ginger/Lime Will G Shea Bay Rum 2 pucks of Surrey shave soap melted down and mixed with 1 tsp glycerin (Excellent for cold, dry weather, leaves a glycerin barrier I have to rinse off even after shaving.) Canned: Edge Eucalyptus Gel Razors: Gillette Heavy Duty adjustable, 1959 Merkur Futur Mach 3 aftermarket handle Nationwide Campus fixed head Injector Blades: 111 Derby Extra DE blades 7 Schick Injector blades 2 Mach 3 Turbo cartridges Brushes: SMF II Shavemac Silvertip Omega #48 boar brush small Pure badger brush Aftershaves: Proraso Pre 2 sample bottles of GFT Coral Skin Food Caswell-Massey 1752 Sandalwood A/S gel Nivea Sensitive A/S balm Will G Sandalwood A/S balm Will G Peppermint A/S balm Will G Bay Rum A/S balm Dickinson's Witch Hazel Bath: Salux nylon wash cloth Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar cloth wash rag (My Caucasian skin can't take the abrasive Salux every day, especially during Winter time.) Suave Lavender shampoo Suave Aloe conditioner whipped Coconut Shea body butter Gold Bond medicated baby powder Hands: Softsoap (when its empty I'm going to refill with Cornhuskers Lotion, and only use cheap barsoap for washing hands) Lever 2000 bar Grisi Avocado bar C&E Goatmilk Hand Therapy Cologne: Armani Aqua di Gio (I think I might try out one of the Musgo Real colognes for hot weather.) GFT Curzon sample 2 GFT Sandalwood samples GFT West Indian Extract of Limes sample Sinus Health: 2 cup stainless steel Jala Neti pot sea salt rubber Sutra Neti tube Misc: Old Spice shaving mug small stainless steel mixing bowl Clubman styptic pencil Tweezers 2 C&E tube keys Microtouch Microtrimmer Remington electric clippers barber scissors toenail clippers toothbrush Aquafresh foaming toothpase copper tongue scraper baking soda plastic hairbrush boar hairbrush gel (might try some Clubman pomade next) wood handled back scratcher (absolute neccesity in life!) Degree for women antiperspirant nylon bristle fingernail brush bottle of vegetable glycerin What I want to eventually try: Cornhuskers Lotion Musgo Real cologne (#2, I believe) perhaps a better toothpase more KMF shaving creams pomade maybe a better shampoo & conditioner Thayers Witch Hazel Shavemac handmade Pure badger shaving brush around 24mm Moss Scuttle (large) more Old Spice shaving cream lots more Injector blades a few more Mach 3 cartridges some sort of back washing brush perhaps a straight razor, with strop and all the fixins HEB shea butter bath soap for the dry Winter season Feather "Nanka" shaving gel Feather "Kanwa" aftershave balm
post #2 of 21
How would you compare the English soaps to the Portuguese creams? I understand the Musgo Real is hand-made in large vats or so they claim. As for razors, I've found that the Japanese Feather blades are more efficent than the German Merkur blades. There is also Portugal's Claus Porto who have delightfully old-fashioned packagings for their soaps. Apparently also very high quality.
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Those soaps look pretty interesting. I've tried most of the different types of blades for DE razors, and have decided I like Derby best. Merkur was so-so, and Feathers were way too harsh for me. Of course, doesn't mean Derby is the best; it is a completely personal experience type thing. As far as Musgo Real vs. English creams...honestly, I don't see/feel any difference in efficacy as a shaving cream. Musgo Real's lather isn't as thick or meringue as the topshelf English, but it shaves just as well IMO. I also love Musgo's scent and hope their #2 cologne smells like the shaving cream. OH yeah, and Musgo has the slightest menthol tingle that I like. Of course, I also like the extreme cold methol Proraso feeling as well.
post #4 of 21
Well I guess it's better than a drug habit...
post #5 of 21
In terms of hygiene products, I bought a lot of the Shiseido Men line when I was living in Japan and have been really satisfied with them. The facial cleanser (that also doubles as shaving cream), followed by the Hydrating Tonic (or the Toning Lotion, depending on what type of skin you have), and then the Total revitalizer, is a really good 3-step cleaning/hydrating process. And, it isn't absurdly expensive (I think the face cleanser is about $20, the tonic $30, and the revitalizer $50). I've been using them for over a year and still have much left in the bottles, so for $100 it isn't a bad deal.

Before this, I used Chanel's Technique Pour Homme and, while that isn't bad either, I think that the Shiseido is slightly less expensive and gets better results.

John
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Cool, John. I've never heard of Shiseido but will keep an eye out.


Also, is it true Aqua di Gio is the cologne of choice for high school kids?! When I was going to school, it was Polo and Drakkar Noir...I thought I was being sophisticated liking the Armani!
post #7 of 21
No joke, my mom wears acua di gio. The men's stuff. At least, dad told me she was my mom.
post #8 of 21
What you need is a live boar that you keep in a cage to use as a brush.
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Or better yet a Chinese badger.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
In terms of hygiene products, I bought a lot of the Shiseido Men line when I was living in Japan and have been really satisfied with them. The facial cleanser (that also doubles as shaving cream), followed by the Hydrating Tonic (or the Toning Lotion, depending on what type of skin you have), and then the Total revitalizer, is a really good 3-step cleaning/hydrating process. And, it isn't absurdly expensive (I think the face cleanser is about $20, the tonic $30, and the revitalizer $50). I've been using them for over a year and still have much left in the bottles, so for $100 it isn't a bad deal.

Before this, I used Chanel's Technique Pour Homme and, while that isn't bad either, I think that the Shiseido is slightly less expensive and gets better results.

John

I am so reminded of:

I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing "˜protective' lotion.



This, BTW is awesome! : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-/170R297X1SU1

Jon.
post #11 of 21
At the moment, all i have is a Merkur HD, Merkur & Feather blades and a tube of Proraso Green. Have a tub of Proraso pre/post cream on its way from Italy.

My next purchase will either be Musgo Real Aftershave Balsam, or Trumpers coral skinfood.... any suggestions ?
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I am so reminded of:

I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing ‘protective’ lotion.



This, BTW is awesome! : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...-/170R297X1SU1

Jon.

Luckily, to my knowledge, I've never killed anybody after applying my total revitalizer. The Chanel gave me hot flashes, but that's about it (just kidding)

John
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
I have no life, so I typed everything I had out on another (shaving) forum. I figured why not copy it here and see what you guys think.
--

I'm bored and can't sleep, so I'm getting a wild hair to inventory everything I have related to shaving, and hygiene in general. I know some of you guys out there have so much stuff, no way you're going to do this! But, for those of us with a more moderate amount....what ya got????? And more importantly, what do I need????


Creams:
Old Spice (from India)
GFT Rose
C&E Sweet Almond Oil
C&E Sandalwood
Proraso Green
KMF Virgin Forest
Musgo Real
...all tubes

Soaps:
Will G Emerald Lime
Will G Emerald Peppermint
Will G Shea Ginger/Lime
Will G Shea Bay Rum
2 pucks of Surrey shave soap melted down and mixed with 1 tsp glycerin
(Excellent for cold, dry weather, leaves a glycerin barrier I have to rinse off even after shaving.)

Canned:
Edge Eucalyptus Gel

Razors:
Gillette Heavy Duty adjustable, 1959
Merkur Futur
Mach 3 aftermarket handle
Nationwide Campus fixed head Injector

Blades:
111 Derby Extra DE blades
7 Schick Injector blades
2 Mach 3 Turbo cartridges

Brushes:
SMF II Shavemac Silvertip
Omega #48 boar brush
small Pure badger brush

Aftershaves:
Proraso Pre
2 sample bottles of GFT Coral Skin Food
Caswell-Massey 1752 Sandalwood A/S gel
Nivea Sensitive A/S balm
Will G Sandalwood A/S balm
Will G Peppermint A/S balm
Will G Bay Rum A/S balm
Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Bath:
Salux nylon wash cloth
Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar
cloth wash rag (My Caucasian skin can't take the abrasive Salux every
day, especially during Winter time.)
Suave Lavender shampoo
Suave Aloe conditioner
whipped Coconut Shea body butter
Gold Bond medicated baby powder

Hands:
Softsoap (when its empty I'm going to refill with Cornhuskers Lotion, and
only use cheap barsoap for washing hands)
Lever 2000 bar
Grisi Avocado bar
C&E Goatmilk Hand Therapy

Cologne:
Armani Aqua di Gio (I think I might try out one of the Musgo Real
colognes for hot weather.)
GFT Curzon sample
2 GFT Sandalwood samples
GFT West Indian Extract of Limes sample

Sinus Health:
2 cup stainless steel Jala Neti pot
sea salt
rubber Sutra Neti tube

Misc:
Old Spice shaving mug
small stainless steel mixing bowl
Clubman styptic pencil
Tweezers
2 C&E tube keys
Microtouch Microtrimmer
Remington electric clippers
barber scissors
toenail clippers
toothbrush
Aquafresh foaming toothpase
copper tongue scraper
baking soda
plastic hairbrush
boar hairbrush
gel (might try some Clubman pomade next)
wood handled back scratcher (absolute neccesity in life!)
Degree for women antiperspirant
nylon bristle fingernail brush
bottle of vegetable glycerin

What I want to eventually try:
Cornhuskers Lotion
Musgo Real cologne (#2, I believe)
perhaps a better toothpase
more KMF shaving creams
pomade
maybe a better shampoo & conditioner
Thayers Witch Hazel
Shavemac handmade Pure badger shaving brush around 24mm
Moss Scuttle (large)
more Old Spice shaving cream
lots more Injector blades
a few more Mach 3 cartridges
some sort of back washing brush
perhaps a straight razor, with strop and all the fixins
HEB shea butter bath soap for the dry Winter season
Feather "Nanka" shaving gel
Feather "Kanwa" aftershave balm
Get a girlfriend. Or a life? Well, maybe both.

!luc
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Homme, I can't comment on the Musgo balm, but I think Coral Skin Food is very good.

Luc, I have a life, and does the fact that I dont' have a girlfriend, but have sex often put a damper on your negative image of me?
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
In terms of hygiene products, I bought a lot of the Shiseido Men line when I was living in Japan and have been really satisfied with them. The facial cleanser (that also doubles as shaving cream), followed by the Hydrating Tonic (or the Toning Lotion, depending on what type of skin you have), and then the Total revitalizer, is a really good 3-step cleaning/hydrating process. And, it isn't absurdly expensive (I think the face cleanser is about $20, the tonic $30, and the revitalizer $50). I've been using them for over a year and still have much left in the bottles, so for $100 it isn't a bad deal.

Before this, I used Chanel's Technique Pour Homme and, while that isn't bad either, I think that the Shiseido is slightly less expensive and gets better results.

John


The Shisdeido men's line is available in the US and internationally as Zirh (http://zirh.com/corporate.aspx) and is sold at higher end department stores (even Macy's though) at the men's fragrance counters.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Inventory your hygiene and shaving stuff