Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help for Newbie trying to Learn Style
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help for Newbie trying to Learn Style

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hello,

This site is great for the wealth of information for people like me who are in lack of style skills or know hows.

I would like to ask some general questions, if you can guide that would be much appreciated: Here they go. By the way I work at a IT Consulting Firm in the U.S. and it is not California or N.Y.

Here are my stats: I am 5'6" ( Portly; although working on trimming down). 42" inch Waist. and inseam of 30 works although 29 is better in length.

1.> At work its Casual to Business Casual. So many people wear untucked buttondown shirts or polo shirts. I would like to know what is the appropriate length for untucked shirt. I have to XL or XXL and that length I feel is long. Which by the way comes right to fork of the pants.

2.> I have brown tone skin, and I would like to know what seasonal colors I should go for.

3> Any suggestion on clothing style for my work environment. i.e. Jeans with Stripe shirt untucked is okay. Where brown shoes with dark Jeans.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Amar
post #2 of 8
I doubt you'd find many here who advocate untucked shirts as 'stylish' wear. Brown shoes are generally ok though
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adesai
1.> At work its Casual to Business Casual. So many people wear untucked buttondown shirts or polo shirts. I would like to know what is the appropriate length for untucked shirt. I have to XL or XXL and that length I feel is long. Which by the way comes right to fork of the pants.

Welcome, Adesai. Personally, I would suggest you avoid untucked button-up shirts at the office, unless, perhaps, they're squared at the bottom and as such made specifically to be worn untucked. If that's the case, I'd say they should fall slightly below your belt. Because of the casual nature of this clothing item, I doubt there's any hard and fast rule on the proper length. (Honestly, I find such shirts a bit too casual for the workplace. But that's just my opinion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesai
2.> I have brown tone skin, and I would like to know what seasonal colors I should go for.

A lot has been written on this. Alan Flusser's book "Dressing the Man" deals with this extensively, and would be well worth picking up if you don't already own it. It's a goldmine of the very type of information you're seeking.

Beyond that, Andy over at Ask Andy About Clothes has some excellent color guidance. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/H...troduction.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesai
3> Any suggestion on clothing style for my work environment. i.e. Jeans with Stripe shirt untucked is okay. Where brown shoes with dark Jeans.

The good thing about such environments is that it's easy to stand out by dressing well. Doesn't mean you need a suit -- khakis and button-up shirts, tucked in and neatly pressed, will take you a long way. If the office is very casual, and it sounds like it is, you might mix in some polos. In fall and winter, you could add in corduroys, tattersalls and other seasonal fabrics. If you want to take it a step further, nice dress slacks would work well for your purpose. You might even find you like it, and want to add in a blazer and some sportcoats!
post #4 of 8
Hopefully, reading the forums will motivate you to become a fashion leader at your office. Not much fashion here but a lost of style. Developing your personal style is a good goal. You might upgrade your outfits and get a good tailor to make sure they fit you right. Think about getting some nice sweaters, light weight wool pants, blazers starting with solid charcoal and navy. Get the best brown shoes you can. Post a picture of what you're wearing now and let the forum critique it for you.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thank you kitonbrioni, DocHolliday, and chobochobo for the reply. It does help quite a bit.

I am going to pick up that book as mentioned.

I do have Polos; Should I tuck those as well?.

Also, I wear undershirts which are around the neck (not V-neck). there white and as I have the first button undoen it does show. Is that okay to do or should I prompt for the V-Necks.

Thanks again.

amar
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adesai
Thank you kitonbrioni, DocHolliday, and chobochobo for the reply. It does help quite a bit.

I am going to pick up that book as mentioned.

I do have Polos; Should I tuck those as well?.

Tucked in is a bit dressier, so I like that look for the office. And stockier men are often concerned about not looking sloppy, so I like it for that reason too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesai
Also, I wear undershirts which are around the neck (not V-neck). there white and as I have the first button undoen it does show. Is that okay to do or should I prompt for the V-Necks.

This is entirely personal preference. I think it looks fine, but some guys don't like it. Whatever you think best.
post #7 of 8
welcome. read the forums. know what to look for in clothes and shoes. know what is right for you, based on style, budget.... develop your own style.
post #8 of 8
Generally, an untucked shirt should end at about the middle of the behind. (Slightly shorter can look good, but it's prone to rising up.) Polos usually should not be tucked, although they can look fine tucked on very fit individuals. Overweight individuals disguise better using tricks such as patterns and jackets.

Anything that looks like an undershirt should not be visible to observers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help for Newbie trying to Learn Style