• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a Career in the Coast Guard

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I am a junior in college at Ball State University, majoring in public relations. I am thinking about joining the armed forces post graduation, namely the Coast Guard. Is anyone here in the Coast Guard or have any experience with joining the armed forces post-college graduation?

I am an Eagle Scout, hold a 3.8 GPA, experience with many forms of martial arts (from wrestling and Ju-Jitsu to Krav Maga and Hoch) and have no criminal record.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
I am a junior in college at Ball State University, majoring in public relations. I am thinking about joining the armed forces post graduation, namely the Coast Guard. Is anyone here in the Coast Guard or have any experience with joining the armed forces post-college graduation?

I am an Eagle Scout, hold a 3.8 GPA, experience with many forms of martial arts (from wrestling and Ju-Jitsu to Krav Maga and Hoch) and have no criminal record.

why coast guard?

BP348

Reaction score
I think its great that you want to join any branch of the military.

The only advise I can give is to make the military work for you not the other way around. If you have an idea on what type of career you would like then chances are that the military has the same career choice. Make the military train you in a career that's worth something on the outside.

Do your homework and be prepaired to wait as long as it takes to get the job YOU want. You don't want to find out that the military isn't for you and when you get out you were only trained to do a $11 hr job. Combat medic comes to mind, It's equal to an EMT-basic.

The martial arts stuff is great but unless you plan on being a hand-to-hand instructor it really won't count for much.

If you're going in as an officer best advise I can give is to listen to your senior NCO's.

Make sure you get everything in writing!!! If it's not in writing it doesn't count and it never happened.

Good Luck

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Coast Guard has some excellent duty stations. That is a huge positive.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
why coast guard?

i do the coast guard, actually considered it in high school

No combat

Dont go overseas

Get to play in the water

Still have all the cool toys

And yea, that whole not getting killed thing is pretty big

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** the Coast Guard. Lighthouse keeping is where it's at these days, son.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

No combat...

...And yea, that whole not getting killed thing is pretty big

I think the CG has taken more of a role in drug import contradiction these days, so they likely do take fire from time to time. And I don't think the coke lords play by any Rules of War.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I think the CG has taken more of a role in drug import contradiction these days, so they likely do take fire from time to time. And I don't think the coke lords play by any Rules of War.

CG can be pretty cool and lots of fun. But like everything else it has ups and downs. Good work? Drug interdiction. Bad work? Buoy replacement in the great lakes.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

Man, what conflict have we had in the last 40 or so years where people actually played by the rules?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

No combat

Dont go overseas

Get to play in the water

Still have all the cool toys

And yea, that whole not getting killed thing is pretty big

fair enough. honestly, I just don't see the point in being in the military if you don't get to kill people. there have to be better ways of making a living.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fair enough. honestly, I just don't see the point in being in the military if you don't get to kill people. there have to be better ways of making a living.

laugh.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love you, globetrotter.
inlove.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
CG can be pretty cool and lots of fun. But like everything else it has ups and downs. Good work? Drug interdiction. Bad work? Buoy replacement in the great lakes.

I think your assignment will have a lot to do with how good you are during training and if you can impress your officers you will likely be given a better, more desirable station.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think this is why you and I are now in civvy life
wink.gif

The smart ones enlisted to learn skills, trades, languages, get degrees and qualifications, earn benefits etc.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i talked with a guy in HS and he said that the CG boot camp (or was it officer training? Eh, whatever.) was the second hardest, only behind the air force.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads