or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Thinking about a Career in the Coast Guard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about a Career in the Coast Guard

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I am a junior in college at Ball State University, majoring in public relations. I am thinking about joining the armed forces post graduation, namely the Coast Guard. Is anyone here in the Coast Guard or have any experience with joining the armed forces post-college graduation?

I am an Eagle Scout, hold a 3.8 GPA, experience with many forms of martial arts (from wrestling and Ju-Jitsu to Krav Maga and Hoch) and have no criminal record.
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer View Post
I am a junior in college at Ball State University, majoring in public relations. I am thinking about joining the armed forces post graduation, namely the Coast Guard. Is anyone here in the Coast Guard or have any experience with joining the armed forces post-college graduation?

I am an Eagle Scout, hold a 3.8 GPA, experience with many forms of martial arts (from wrestling and Ju-Jitsu to Krav Maga and Hoch) and have no criminal record.

why coast guard?
post #3 of 25
I think its great that you want to join any branch of the military.

The only advise I can give is to make the military work for you not the other way around. If you have an idea on what type of career you would like then chances are that the military has the same career choice. Make the military train you in a career that's worth something on the outside.

Do your homework and be prepaired to wait as long as it takes to get the job YOU want. You don't want to find out that the military isn't for you and when you get out you were only trained to do a $11 hr job. Combat medic comes to mind, It's equal to an EMT-basic.

The martial arts stuff is great but unless you plan on being a hand-to-hand instructor it really won't count for much.

If you're going in as an officer best advise I can give is to listen to your senior NCO's.

Make sure you get everything in writing!!! If it's not in writing it doesn't count and it never happened.

Good Luck
post #4 of 25
The Coast Guard has some excellent duty stations. That is a huge positive.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
why coast guard?

i do the coast guard, actually considered it in high school

No combat

Dont go overseas

Get to play in the water

Still have all the cool toys

And yea, that whole not getting killed thing is pretty big
post #6 of 25
Fuck the Coast Guard. Lighthouse keeping is where it's at these days, son.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post
i do the coast guard, actually considered it in high school

No combat...

...And yea, that whole not getting killed thing is pretty big

I think the CG has taken more of a role in drug import contradiction these days, so they likely do take fire from time to time. And I don't think the coke lords play by any Rules of War.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
I think the CG has taken more of a role in drug import contradiction these days, so they likely do take fire from time to time. And I don't think the coke lords play by any Rules of War.

CG can be pretty cool and lots of fun. But like everything else it has ups and downs. Good work? Drug interdiction. Bad work? Buoy replacement in the great lakes.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
I think the CG has taken more of a role in drug import contradiction these days, so they likely do take fire from time to time. And I don't think the coke lords play by any Rules of War.

Man, what conflict have we had in the last 40 or so years where people actually played by the rules?
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post
i do the coast guard, actually considered it in high school

No combat

Dont go overseas

Get to play in the water

Still have all the cool toys

And yea, that whole not getting killed thing is pretty big

fair enough. honestly, I just don't see the point in being in the military if you don't get to kill people. there have to be better ways of making a living.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
fair enough. honestly, I just don't see the point in being in the military if you don't get to kill people. there have to be better ways of making a living.

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
fair enough. honestly, I just don't see the point in being in the military if you don't get to kill people. there have to be better ways of making a living.

I love you, globetrotter.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
CG can be pretty cool and lots of fun. But like everything else it has ups and downs. Good work? Drug interdiction. Bad work? Buoy replacement in the great lakes.

I think your assignment will have a lot to do with how good you are during training and if you can impress your officers you will likely be given a better, more desirable station.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
fair enough. honestly, I just don't see the point in being in the military if you don't get to kill people. there have to be better ways of making a living.

I think this is why you and I are now in civvy life

The smart ones enlisted to learn skills, trades, languages, get degrees and qualifications, earn benefits etc.
post #15 of 25
i talked with a guy in HS and he said that the CG boot camp (or was it officer training? Eh, whatever.) was the second hardest, only behind the air force.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Thinking about a Career in the Coast Guard