• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would you deal with the "wannabee baller" friend?

Saltricks

Reaction score
I have this friend who is the definition of gawdy(gaudy). He wears versace shirts, true religion jeans, and lacoste sneakers. He leases a new Benz every year or two. He always wants to eat at fancy restaurants and bars. But he is so SO CHEAP IT MAKES ME SO MAD. He won't tip (if I force him, he'll tip sub 10 percent), and whenever we go to fancy places he orders the cheapest thing and mooches off me. Then we go to the bar and he orders some doochy drink (martini...shaken not stirred...HE SAYS THAT) and then doesn't tip the bartender, who ends up treating me like dirt because of my association with him. I just want to know if you have any advice for helping my friend out, or even helping me out with dealing with him. EDIT: This thread has devolved (or evolved) into an epic saga of my many adventures with douchefriend. Here is a list of the stories posted so far (will add titles later): Post 9 (pg 1): Once a Thief Post 62 (pg 5): Clubbing Post 70 (pg 5): Douchefriend Visits post 93 (pg 7): Fresh as I Return post 97 is pretty funny (not mine): Ostrichenis post 120 (pg 8): Jessica Post 144 (pg 10): Douchefriend Bio Post 155 (pg 11): "Now She'll Want Me" Post 168 (pg 12): Another Night Post 197 (pg 14): Sex Life (Part 1) Post 214 (pg 15): Sex Life (Part 2) Post 259 (pg 18): The Origins of Douchefriend: The Curious Case of Mr. M’bubee Post 271 (pg 19): Memoirs of a Douchebag Post 312 (pg 21): The Edison (Part One) Post 331 (pg 23): The Edison (Part Two)

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
find a better friend. As it stands, you're the wingman to the Versace wearing, leased benz driving, no-taste cocktail ordering wannabe.

Saltricks

Reaction score
no one else is down to eat at highend restaurants with me
confused.gif

My girlfriend can only eat so much foie gras before she gets mad at me (she's more of a burger and fries kinda gal
inlove.gif
)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Post an ad on craigslist, I'm sure you'll find some friends.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Is he a friend or an acquaintance?

I've known him since 4th grade, but he's only recently started down the "poser doosh" path

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I've known him since 4th grade, but he's only recently started down the "poser doosh" path

Well, if you've known him for that long, just be blunt about it. Tell him flat out that he's a poser, comes off as a douche, and that you're embarrassed to be around him when he's acting that way. If he has fully formed frontal lobes, he should be able to take some constructive criticism.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Thing is, one time me and my other friend paid him cash for dinner (including tip) and he was to pay with his card and leave tip. He tells us to head to the car and he'd take care of it. I'm a bit suspicious so I tell my friend to go back and check how much he left for tip while I walked him to the car. Guess how much he left on the tip line:

Zero dollars.

He basically took me and my friends tip money and padded his own wallet with it. We essentially yelled at him for hours, telling him how pathetic he was for driving a benz and not being able to tip even a little bit (it wasn't even his own money for godsakes) and trying to cover it up on top of that. We thought that would straighten him out, but I guess it didn't.

word

Reaction score
Well I was going to say call him out on it big time but wow.

He'll probably figure it out when a woman calls him out on how fake he is.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Thing is, one time me and my other friend paid him cash for dinner (including tip) and he was to pay with his card and leave tip. He tells us to head to the car and he'd take care of it. I'm a bit suspicious so I tell my friend to go back and check how much he left for tip while I walked him to the car. Guess how much he left on the tip line:

Zero dollars.

He basically took me and my friends tip money and padded his own wallet with it. We essentially yelled at him for hours, telling him how pathetic he was for driving a benz and not being able to tip even a little bit (it wasn't even his own money for godsakes) and trying to cover it up on top of that. We thought that would straighten him out, but I guess it didn't.

That is ridiculous. Quit being friends with this guy. Whatever possible benefit you might have gained from his friendship is severely outweighed and negated by the level of his douche-baggery.

Saltricks

Reaction score
believe me, I could write a book about this guy (I might do this actually).

I like to write fiction, and although he is boorish and a douche, he is the perfect character study for me to learn from.

But what I'm really wondering is if there is a way to minimize the collateral damage his demeanor causes (on me).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But what I'm really wondering is if there is a way to minimize the collateral damage his demeanor causes (on me).

Besides appearing perpetually apologetic, no, there is nothing you can do. People judge you by your company, and frankly I'm judging you for being friends with that dude.

Not only is his public imagine douchey, he has actually ******* stolen from you. What the **** is the matter with you? Where is your self respect? You must be a decent enough guy to realize how worthless that prick is, yet you hang out with him? You need to raise your standards dude.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what age are we talking about here?

if it's a recent development, then maybe something happened to the guy and he's just trying something out. In which case telling him he's acting like a douche should straighten it out. If that's just how he is, either accept him or move on.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what kind of benz does he lease?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads