or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Consulting vs IB vs Big 4 - which one opens more doors for careers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consulting vs IB vs Big 4 - which one opens more doors for careers? - Page 4

post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Management consulting for financial services, especially within some types of FS firms, is extremely quantitative.

I'm actually genuinely curious since I'm a math nerd. Could you elaborate more on "extremely quantitative"?
post #47 of 72
"Opinion: The story BCG offered me $16,000 not to tell" http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N16/dubai.html http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N17/dubai.html http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N18/dubai.html http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N19/dubai.html Written by a MIT graduate who worked for BCG. Worth a read.
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot View Post
"Opinion: The story BCG offered me $16,000 not to tell"

http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N16/dubai.html

http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N17/dubai.html

http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N18/dubai.html

http://tech.mit.edu/V130/N19/dubai.html

Written by a MIT graduate who worked for BCG. Worth a read.

That was a great read, thanks for sharing.
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpool View Post
I'm actually genuinely curious since I'm a math nerd. Could you elaborate more on "extremely quantitative"?

I dunno, there are plenty o' quantities to be crunched, but I don't know if that makes something 'quantitative.' This is my understanding from discussions with my friends who work at top-tier management consulting firms.

I work in quantitative finance. I would call that pretty quantitative. If you're really a 'math nerd,' you might find that more fulfilling.
post #50 of 72
In this thread, MS regrets he ever let it slip that he worked as a consulting in New York City.
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
In this thread, MS regrets he ever let it slip that he worked as a consulting in New York City.

Except for the barrage of PMs, I don't mind. Haters gonna hate. Just like I hate on Biglaw and Banking, others have the right to hate on consulting.
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
I hate on Biglaw and Banking
Get that h8 out of your <3 , brother.
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Except for the barrage of PMs, I don't mind. Haters gonna hate. Just like I hate on Biglaw and Banking, others have the right to hate on consulting.
Wasn't the haters I was referring to. I figure everybody including the 3 post members would be asking you for advice with inane, dumb fucking questions like "DO I RECOMEMDN I GO INTO IBANKING OR CONSULTING?" "WHAT ARE THE WORK HOURS LIKE?" "HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR JOB?".
post #54 of 72
I disagree with there being any real requirements in terms of major and quantitative experience. Ay my firm we have quite a few English, History, East Asia Studies etc. majors. It is just about being generally smart (or at least appearing that way during the interview process).
post #55 of 72
Thread Starter 

..


Edited by merkur - 7/30/11 at 3:23am
post #56 of 72
Although I'm biased, I'd say IB. Consultants are probably thought of as a little smarter (though that might only exist for Bain/BCG/McK consultants), but IB is a pretty complete work experience. You learn a lot of hard skills, like rigorous financial modeling and financial accounting, and also soft skills such as salesmanship. Also, and perhaps more importantly, it's like boot camp for the business world -- if you have a bank on your resume, employers know that you are well-trained and capable of working hard. Big 4...ehhhhhhh.
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkur View Post
Which one of the three has the best looking women working for them?

That's easy, Big 4 accounting. IB and consulting pretty much only take people from the top schools while Big 4 take people from everywhere. Where do you think more hot girls are at, MIT/Stanford/Harvard with highly selective admissions process or generic big state university that accepts anyone with a pulse?
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkur View Post
Which one of the three has the best looking women working for them?

Quick. Estimate the number of hot women at MBB.
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot View Post
Quick. Estimate the number of hot women at MBB.

You know that is starting to sound a lot like an MBB interview question
post #60 of 72
^ I think that was the punchline.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Consulting vs IB vs Big 4 - which one opens more doors for careers?