• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desktop PC Building Thread

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a desktop. I have not yet decided if it will be hooked up to my new plasma in my living room or 28" monitor in my bedroom. I require input from the techies of SF.

I am heading to memory express to start with a processor (AMD X4 965 black quad core) and some sort of motherboard. Will continuously update.

(This thread is a sequel to an earlier one where we mused on this subject but no one actually did it).

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you tried plugging it in

imschatz

Reaction score
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-054-_-Product
smile.gif
If your building a HTPC .. start there.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

Christobevii3

Reaction score
Why not go with a core i3/i5? The power usage would be a bit lower. I wouldn't go with the 6 core over faster 4 cores unless you are doing encoding. Otherwise no real benefit outside of virtualizing ****.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any reason you choose AMD over Intel? I prefer Intel chips. Best get GTX 480s in SLI and 24GB RAM too
devil.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
You don't think so? I was thinking for multitasking the 6 core would be an advantage. Also it's futureproof if more games or whatever start making use of 4+ cores.

I got an asus ma479t deluxe mobo.

Let's say the 965 black (3.4 ghz 8mb cache) and the 1050t (turbos at 3.3ghz 9mb cache) are the same price. Which would you go with?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I am building it as I would a desktop pc but it might end up functioning as an HTPC. I am actually going to deal with the case after I have the essentials. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...highlight=5770 ^Previous thread on this topic
I am not too up to date on the quality of individual components but I can tell you that this is a bad idea. If you want a HTPC you have to tailor your components to match the case. Things like sound, interior space, and size are all major factors when it comes to a build. You're better off figuring out what you want to do with the comp, decide on a case, and build out from there. WAY easier than doing it backward.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The point is that it is driven by function not form. If I need a bigger case I'll get one. I like the coolermaster sniper black actually.
Yes, but the form can limit the function, and vice-versa. If you want something that fits in your entertainment center, you're not going to buy a tower. If you want something that's going to be in your bedroom and needs to be quiet, you're not going to buy a ****** aluminum case.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The point is that it is driven by function not form. If I need a bigger case I'll get one. I like the coolermaster sniper black actually.
Just get a full ATX tower and everything and the kitchen sink will fit (with some exceptions, namely the power supply and if you have absurdly large video cards like the new dual-cores). Unless you're overclocking or plan on taxing your system constantly, you can get away with a cheap case with moderate venting, but you run the risk of overheating and having bad things happen. But if you want a case that'll be portable/easily stashable, you're fucked if you end with the case.
Originally Posted by Rambo
Yes, but the form can limit the function, and vice-versa. If you want something that fits in your entertainment center, you're not going to buy a tower. If you want something that's going to be in your bedroom and needs to be quiet, you're not going to buy a ****** aluminum case.
Full aluminum > steel any day

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
building PC's is a fun hobby. built my first one when i was 16.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Just get a full ATX tower and everything and the kitchen sink will fit (with some exceptions, namely the power supply and if you have absurdly large video cards like the new dual-cores). Unless you're overclocking or plan on taxing your system constantly, you can get away with a cheap case with moderate venting, but you run the risk of overheating and having bad things happen. But if you want a case that'll be portable/easily stashable, you're fucked if you end with the case. Full aluminum > steel any day
I did say ****** aluminum. A good aircraft grade aluminum tower, with sound dampening and the right design, is pretty damn drool worthy. I do disagree on skimping on the case. Unless you want it to sound like you've got a vacuum cleaner under your desk, a good case is your first stop. Also, the full tower might be overkill if he's planning to keep it attached to his TV and in an entertainment center. He could easily get away with a great video card, overclocking, etc. in a HTPC style case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads