• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting started with vinyl

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
As a broke-ass student, how much would I have to spend to get a decent setup? I'd be using headphones, so would I just need a turntable and receiver?
That's all that's required, yes. You can get a decent starter turntable for $100. If you buy a used turntable make sure you start with a replacement stylus because you'll have no idea how many hours are on it.
Is buying used a good idea?
Yes. If you have a local record shop you're in luck, because you'll be able to physically inspect the records. Beware ebay, they all lie about the condition.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Check local thrift stores.....

Last time I went to good will they had 3 turn tables....

1 from the 1950's with built in speakers and a tube amp.
1 from the 1980's
1 from the 1990's

All $20 or less, and they worked.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on what you want to do with vinyl.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "decent"?

1 - You could go with a vintage turntable from a thrift shop and change the stylus. Cheapest option. Some effort required but if you're lucky you could make a good find.

2 - You could buy a low-end turntable in the $100-200 range. Gemini, Stanton, Numark, Technics, etc.

3 - You could get an entry-level quality turntable. I have a Pro-Ject Debut III and recommend it (I got the Phono SB version with built-in phono pre-amp and speed box - essential for quickly switching between 33 and 45 rpm). This will run you about $400-500.

I went through all of these in that order. The first 2 were OK for awhile but once I finished school, I really wanted to upgrade.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
^ Probably 1 or 2. If the turntable has a pre-amp will I still need a receiver? And what should I look for in a receiver?

You need both a pre-amp and an amp (receiver). Most turntables don't have an integrated pre-amp so you'll need a receiver with a phono input (built-in phono preamp). Almost all vintage receivers have one but it's been omitted in many modern ones for obvious reasons.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do technics 1200s make reasonable tables for home audio purposes only?

there are a few failed dream djs around me offloading them for pretty cheap... i like the retro utilitarian look of them.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of music you're into. I listen to a lot of lo-fi, DIY albums and older stuff, so I've always gravitated towards the older "higher quality" equipment. My dad has a turntable he bought in the 70's for a ton of money and I really enjoy it, along with an amp and some speakers from the same era. Just replaced the stylus and I was set. When it comes to vinyl/cassettes I'm a lo-fi junkie; if I wan't quality I'll listen to my ipod. EDIT: Just wanted to brag about my latest acquisition.
sb200g.jpg
Yes, that is a glow in the dark skull shaped record.
biggrin.gif
EDIT 2: Sorry about the size.

breitlingman

Reaction score
Best value for turntable IMO for price/performance is to buy a used TT like a Dual from a vintage record shop. There are usually a few of these in bigger cities at least around here. I bought a nice Dual 704 with an older but good-sounding Shure cartridge on it for $100, and it outperformed by Pro-Ject Debut II that i had at the time that came with the lousy Ortofon OM5 cartridge, and that TT cost much more.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Three steps to good cheap vinyl sound... Look at the $200 Audio Technica PL-120: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...9833118&sr=8-1 Add an Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge at $99: http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...hono-Cartridge Add an Audio Technic phono stage for $44: http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-St...dio-Technica_3 Then sit back and enjoy the music through existing stereo.
smile.gif
Audiophile advice: Avoid Pro-Ject and Music Hall tables. Just trust me on that. Avoid really cheap cartridges as well.

k9n

Reaction score
This proved helpful for me as well, thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics