• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are overcoats such a neglected piece apparel.

FreeRadical

Reaction score
Mostly all overcoats/trench coats tend to be loose and boxy looking. Worse still is when they are casually chucked over a £2000 suit destroying all the immaculate tailoring. I think we are all missing a trick, because a carefully chosen overcoat can complement the suit, even enhance the overall look.

So I'm on a mission to find a well fitted overcoat, with a structured shoulder such as the one below. if anyone's come across such a coat please do tell.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FreeRadical
Mostly all overcoats/trench coats tend to be loose and boxy looking. Worse still is when they are casually chucked over a £2000 suit destroying all the immaculate tailoring. I think we are all missing a trick, because a carefully chosen overcoat can complement the suit, even enhance the overall look.

So I'm on a mission to find a well fitted overcoat, with a structured shoulder such as the one below. if anyone's come across such a coat please do tell.

Richard Anderson makes a nice one ... even their off-the-rack verson. However do NOT request hacking pockets!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That pic looks terrible.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pic is more of a topcoat...not an overcoat...and it stylistically, looks very modern...not something classic

Many folks, when the weather turns cold, do their best to dodge the cold be minimizing the time they spend outdoors.

Thus they run to their cars or to mass transit...thus little need for a true heavyweight overcoat.

Besides, many folks just wear a heavy car coat as a paltry alternative.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Richard Anderson makes a nice one ... even their off-the-rack verson. However do NOT request hacking pockets!

So does RA's former employer, Huntsman.

sellahi22

Reaction score
overcoats are frustratingly neglected, as are raincoats. if you want a competent suit or shirt, you have countless options at every price point and style. but if you want a reasonable overcoat/raincoat, you are SOL.

from what i understand, you either throw down for a bespoke overcoat or a $1.5k burberry raincoat, or you are stuck with a POS from banana republic. There are a couple of in between options like Brooks Brothers, but if one of those doesn't fit you are stuck with second hand ****.

seems kinda crazy if you live in a place like NYC where half of the days in the year are cold or rainy.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True overcoats are supposed to be big and bulky.

In worst case you'll be wearing a jacket under the coat. A sweater under the jacket. A scarf. If you don't need all that you likely don't need an overcoat.

Plenty of fitted coats out there. Just look.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crombies are nice...

Classic,elegant and affordable..

IronRock

Reaction score
A few offerings from Mr Alden at the London Lounge (www.thelondonlounge.net/forum) and others:
4811999878_2b0dd467de.jpg
4811371169_29dd703eeb_b.jpg
4811995560_b2b965c5dc.jpg
Bit hot to consider at the moment.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm on a mission to find a well fitted overcoat, with a structured shoulder such as the one below.

That picture...
facepalm.gif

gregor

Reaction score
Pocket square in an over coat..? Do people do this in the winter?

Gregor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads