or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke shoes from vass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke shoes from vass - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Nick - the picture you posted - who made that shoe?
An Australian company called 'Rivers', which is like a more urban RM Williams, in a lower price bracket. I picked up a high toe-box cap-toe blucher in the same transaction - I can only assume the design was swiped, by Rivers, for use in hilly Australian terrain (Thanks Bengal.). And I second Foxx - you should type up the whole event and submit it to GQ, Esquire, Departures or the like, I think you'd have a very good chance of making it to their pages - but $500 Vass shoes would probably be far too 'ghetto' for Robb Report.  
post #17 of 42
Doh... I wish this article was posted a month earlier. I was just in Budapest three weeks ago. I would have checked out Vass if you would have posted earlier. BTW the $500 US price for bespoke shoes is a great deal and will probably not last much longer since Hungary is joining the EU next year. I'm sure the euro will destroy their price structure like everyone else... ...and the women of Hungary, TO DIE FOR. I've heard that they are a mix of Finnish and tartar/mongolian stock. I found that most European women are slimmer than their American and Canadian counterparts PLUS Hungarian women have an amazing copper complexion If you're there during the summer try an outdoor club called Rio--the music was pretty bad, but there is no cover and people tend to dress on the skimpy side. norcal... should change the name to manhattan transplant...
post #18 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Doh... I wish this article was posted a month earlier.  I was just in Budapest three weeks ago.  I would have checked out Vass if you would have posted earlier.  BTW the $500 US price for bespoke shoes is a great deal and will probably not last much longer since Hungary is joining the EU next year.  I'm sure the euro will destroy their price structure like everyone else...
Now that is a tragedy.. I did another extensive post on Vass back around May but I didn't write anything else for a while. As for joining the EU - as you said they join next year but the currency doesn't go to the Euro until 2008 (I'm pretty sure that's the year or somewhere thereabouts.) . I'm sure the prices will still go up slowly though.
post #19 of 42
Mr. Harris, I do like your Vass shoes. I was interested to see the Oxblood brogues on a more delicate last. Does Vass do any wholecut shoes, or Oxfords with swan-neck stitching (in the style of Edward Green's Ladbroke)?
post #20 of 42
I'm paying a visit to the Vass shop next week (in Europe on business, and taking a detour to Budapest.) Looking forward to getting a couple pair of bespoke shoes. I will post further on my experiences when I return. Kai
post #21 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I do like your Vass shoes. I was interested to see the Oxblood brogues on a more delicate last. Does Vass do any wholecut shoes, or Oxfords with swan-neck stitching (in the style of Edward Green's Ladbroke)?
That last is brand new. I know they are doing a Norwegian on it in addition to the wingtip but I don't know what other styles, if any, they have worked up for it. I'll let everyone know when I recieve further information.
Quote:
I'm paying a visit to the Vass shop next week (in Europe on business, and taking a detour to Budapest.) Looking forward to getting a couple pair of bespoke shoes. I will post further on my experiences when I return.
Excellent. Did you email them and let them know you are coming?
post #22 of 42
I did e-mail them and tell them I am coming. I only sent the e-mail this morning, so they haven't yet had time to respond. Do I need an appointment, or can I just show up at their shop? Kai
post #23 of 42
Thread Starter 
You can probably just show up but since you are traveling such a distance it would be best to talk to them beforehand. Sometimes it takes a while to hear back from them via email but you can always call them if necessary.
post #24 of 42
If your first order was ~US$500, how much are subsequent orders?
post #25 of 42
Thread Starter 
The same price I assume. They don't charge extra to prepare the last. Or at least they didn't charge me. But maybe I'm getting special treatment being a Vass agent and all It might be good to ask the current prices when you email them.
post #26 of 42
Just to revive an old thread on Vass shoes. A very very good and informative thread on Vass (pronounced Vah sh) by A Harris.

I was always pronouncing it "Vass" like in Bass the fish or shoe.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorshoe
Just to revive an old thread on Vass shoes. A very very good and informative thread on Vass (pronounced Vah sh) by A Harris.

I was always pronouncing it "Vass" like in Bass the fish or shoe.
I believe it's "vache" - like the French cow
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorshoe
Just to revive an old thread on Vass shoes. A very very good and informative thread on Vass (pronounced Vah sh) by A Harris.

I was always pronouncing it "Vass" like in Bass the fish or shoe.

Talk about a difference in price.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I believe it's "vache" - like the French cow
Yes, that's the literal translation.
post #30 of 42
A Harris, where's the workshop located? At the back of the store? Do they allow regular visitors to take a peek?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke shoes from vass