or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What iron to buy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What iron to buy?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I was just wondering what type of iron is worth purchasing. My budget is between $40-60 and am looking for something simple to use, absent of copious buttons and switches, and of high quality. Any responses would be appreciated.

Best,
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCade View Post
Hello,

I was just wondering what type of iron is worth purchasing. My budget is between $40-60 and am looking for something simple to use, absent of copious buttons and switches, AND OF HIGH QUALITY. Any responses would be appreciated.

Best,
Unfortunately you're not going to find anything of high quality in that price range,they'll all be made in China.Even most Rowentas under $80 are made in China,above that they're "real" Rowentas and are made in Germany.In the long run you'd do yourself a favor by increasing your budget.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
Unfortunately you're not going to find anything of high quality in that price range,they'll all be made in China.Even most Rowentas under $80 are made in China,above that they're "real" Rowentas and are made in Germany.In the long run you'd do yourself a favor by increasing your budget.

I bought a Shark in that price range at Lowe's that has served me well over the last couple of years.
post #4 of 17
what about an iron with a budget around £150-£200?
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArliHawk` View Post
I bought a Shark in that price range at Lowe's that has served me well over the last couple of years.
One of my irons is a several year old Shark GI-465d and it's actually been ok,but apparently the latest models suffer from reliability problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftar View Post
what about an iron with a budget around £150-£200?
In that price range you can get an iron with a separate dry steam generator.I'm in the US so I'm not sure of UK pricing but the Reliable Iron Maven J420 retails for $250 in the US.
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...onMaven-J420_2
Reliable's entry level pro unit,the I300,retails for $399.
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...nal-Irons/i300
If you checked around it's possible you might find one(I300) at the top of your price range as I've seen them discounted to $300 in the US.
post #6 of 17
Still no problems with my Rowenta I picked up at Costco a year and a half ago. Pretty sure I remember seeing made in Germany on it, but I know my price was somewhere between $70-85 max.
post #7 of 17
I've found that a proper, thick ironing board cover which retains heat is a very important factor in ironing performance.
post #8 of 17
I am a big fan of Rowenta as well. Bought mine on sale for $79.99 at Linens 'N' Things a couple years back. My only complaint is the size of the water reservoir. I bought the precision model, which looks nice and sleek, but I have to add water for every second shirt.
post #9 of 17
I just bought this iron based on this review
http://www.consumersearch.com/steam-...dvantage-f1060

It was $20 at Wal Mart, so I thought even if it wasn't good, not much harm.

I love it. It has a stainless soleplate and it feels like it is gliding on wet ice. Plenty of heat and steam for me. It mentions the water tank, but I ironed 7 pairs of pants and never had to fill it up.

It might not last a long time, but at $20 I'll test its endurance.

I was looking at Rowenta, but thought I would risk this $20 before I went that route.

Chris
post #10 of 17
T-Fal Ultraglide FV4379 That's the #1 iron on Consumer Reports for $50 and the B&D was their best buy. I have a B&D one and it's awesome.
post #11 of 17
Seem's like even the German Rowenta's get some pretty bad reviews on Amazon...
post #12 of 17
Black & Decker Classic (F67E)
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips View Post
Still no problems with my Rowenta I picked up at Costco a year and a half ago. Pretty sure I remember seeing made in Germany on it, but I know my price was somewhere between $70-85 max.
At that price at Costco I'm fairly certain you have a German made model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
I am a big fan of Rowenta as well. Bought mine on sale for $79.99 at Linens 'N' Things a couple years back. My only complaint is the size of the water reservoir. I bought the precision model, which looks nice and sleek, but I have to add water for every second shirt.
I've had a DX 6700(German made) for a while and have had no problems,with very good performance.However,any model with an integrated internal water reservoir will never match the performance of a separate steam generator model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp0430 View Post
Seem's like even the German Rowenta's get some pretty bad reviews on Amazon...
Which model?I just looked on Amazon and most of them are rated 4 stars or higher.
post #14 of 17
I purchased the 1 T-Fal FV4379 Ultraglide per Consumer Reports comparing it favorably to an $80 Rowenta. For $40, I've got 0 complaints.
post #15 of 17
I got a $10 made in China from Target and it hasn't had any problems. I iron about once a weeks about 10 shirts. I never use the steam function while ironing, just a $0.99 spray bottle or do it while the shirt is damp. For steaming suits, I use a dedicated steamer. I don't think irons are suppose to be used as steamers since the upright positioning causes all sorts of leaks. Or maybe I'm wrong. But I just never had the need to experiment with any fancier versions. I've had it for 2 years so far. Still works great. Only complaint is that it doesn't have little pegs you can wrap the cord around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What iron to buy?