• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What iron to buy?

JamesCade

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering what type of iron is worth purchasing. My budget is between $40-60 and am looking for something simple to use, absent of copious buttons and switches, and of high quality. Any responses would be appreciated.

Best,

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesCade
Hello,

I was just wondering what type of iron is worth purchasing. My budget is between $40-60 and am looking for something simple to use, absent of copious buttons and switches, AND OF HIGH QUALITY. Any responses would be appreciated.

Best,

Unfortunately you're not going to find anything of high quality in that price range,they'll all be made in China.Even most Rowentas under $80 are made in China,above that they're "real" Rowentas and are made in Germany.In the long run you'd do yourself a favor by increasing your budget.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MacDaddy
Unfortunately you're not going to find anything of high quality in that price range,they'll all be made in China.Even most Rowentas under $80 are made in China,above that they're "real" Rowentas and are made in Germany.In the long run you'd do yourself a favor by increasing your budget.

I bought a Shark in that price range at Lowe's that has served me well over the last couple of years.

kraftar

Reaction score
what about an iron with a budget around £150-£200?

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
I bought a Shark in that price range at Lowe's that has served me well over the last couple of years.
One of my irons is a several year old Shark GI-465d and it's actually been ok,but apparently the latest models suffer from reliability problems.

Originally Posted by kraftar
what about an iron with a budget around £150-£200?
In that price range you can get an iron with a separate dry steam generator.I'm in the US so I'm not sure of UK pricing but the Reliable Iron Maven J420 retails for $250 in the US.
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...onMaven-J420_2
Reliable's entry level pro unit,the I300,retails for $399.
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...nal-Irons/i300
If you checked around it's possible you might find one(I300) at the top of your price range as I've seen them discounted to $300 in the US.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still no problems with my Rowenta I picked up at Costco a year and a half ago. Pretty sure I remember seeing made in Germany on it, but I know my price was somewhere between $70-85 max.

__PG__

Reaction score
I've found that a proper, thick ironing board cover which retains heat is a very important factor in ironing performance.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Rowenta as well. Bought mine on sale for $79.99 at Linens 'N' Things a couple years back. My only complaint is the size of the water reservoir. I bought the precision model, which looks nice and sleek, but I have to add water for every second shirt.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought this iron based on this review
http://www.consumersearch.com/steam-...dvantage-f1060

It was $20 at Wal Mart, so I thought even if it wasn't good, not much harm.

I love it. It has a stainless soleplate and it feels like it is gliding on wet ice. Plenty of heat and steam for me. It mentions the water tank, but I ironed 7 pairs of pants and never had to fill it up.

It might not last a long time, but at $20 I'll test its endurance.

I was looking at Rowenta, but thought I would risk this $20 before I went that route.

Chris

jblazing

Reaction score
T-Fal Ultraglide FV4379

That's the #1 iron on Consumer Reports for $50 and the B&D was their best buy. I have a B&D one and it's awesome.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Seem's like even the German Rowenta's get some pretty bad reviews on Amazon...

July

Reaction score
Black & Decker Classic (F67E)

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Still no problems with my Rowenta I picked up at Costco a year and a half ago. Pretty sure I remember seeing made in Germany on it, but I know my price was somewhere between $70-85 max.
At that price at Costco I'm fairly certain you have a German made model.

Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I am a big fan of Rowenta as well. Bought mine on sale for $79.99 at Linens 'N' Things a couple years back. My only complaint is the size of the water reservoir. I bought the precision model, which looks nice and sleek, but I have to add water for every second shirt.
I've had a DX 6700(German made) for a while and have had no problems,with very good performance.However,any model with an integrated internal water reservoir will never match the performance of a separate steam generator model.

Originally Posted by mdp0430
Seem's like even the German Rowenta's get some pretty bad reviews on Amazon...
Which model?I just looked on Amazon and most of them are rated 4 stars or higher.

poissa

Reaction score
I purchased the 1 T-Fal FV4379 Ultraglide per Consumer Reports comparing it favorably to an $80 Rowenta. For $40, I've got 0 complaints.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a $10 made in China from Target and it hasn't had any problems. I iron about once a weeks about 10 shirts. I never use the steam function while ironing, just a $0.99 spray bottle or do it while the shirt is damp. For steaming suits, I use a dedicated steamer. I don't think irons are suppose to be used as steamers since the upright positioning causes all sorts of leaks. Or maybe I'm wrong. But I just never had the need to experiment with any fancier versions. I've had it for 2 years so far. Still works great. Only complaint is that it doesn't have little pegs you can wrap the cord around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads